Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #1

Most important items?

Hubby and I just bought our 1st MH and will be picking it up in AZ next month. (we are in NY). We will be packing up the Honda CRV with 2 cats in the back seat and driving to AZ to pick up the rig and start our adventure!

Since space will be limited, we're thinking of the minimum amount of "stuff" we need to carry, and the max that will fit into the trunk. I think we'll only be able to fit a change of clothes, a piece of rope, a wrench, a can of WD-40 and cat litter. Certainly we can buy what we need once we get to AZ, but I'd like to know your essential items.

Is there anything you can think of that is absolutely necessary that you would never leave behind?
threadbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don't forget the duct tape!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Don't forget the duct tape!

Old 11-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #4

When we picked up ours with a 4 day planned return .... we took bedding as well ...
we got by with paper cups/plates etc until be got back ... then moved everything in ...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #5

That's just it...we are NOT coming back. We will be gone for 4 months.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadbear View Post
Hubby and I just bought our 1st MH and will be picking it up in AZ next month. (we are in NY). We will be packing up the Honda CRV with 2 cats in the back seat and driving to AZ to pick up the rig and start our adventure!

Since space will be limited, we're thinking of the minimum amount of "stuff" we need to carry, and the max that will fit into the trunk. I think we'll only be able to fit a change of clothes, a piece of rope, a wrench, a can of WD-40 and cat litter. Certainly we can buy what we need once we get to AZ, but I'd like to know your essential items.

Is there anything you can think of that is absolutely necessary that you would never leave behind?
sewer hose....
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #7

Quote:
That's just it...we are NOT coming back. We will be gone for 4 months.
Ahhhhh ... then you may want to consider some of the pots and pans you plan on using ... as well as dishes/silverware etc. coffee make if applicable, etc... this of course based on how you will be stocking your coach ... how much you eat in ....
just a few thoughts ........

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would take what ever I need to get there and buy the rest as needed while on the road.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Since this is your first RV that means you don't have to move stuff from the other one. In some ways this is good.

I would take cloths and personal stuff. Other then that plan on buying what you need.

If the seller is a dealer I would expect that they provide all the necessary sewer and water hose, if not you'll have to buy.

Since the RV will be your 2nd home you'll have to stock with
  1. pots and pans, dishes and cooking utensils as well as the basic cooking supplies.
  2. bath supplies and towels
  3. bedding and linen
  4. basically everything you would have to outfit a small apartment, remember it is easier to buy conservatively first instead of buying too much. Walmart's are everywhere.
I would get a small tool kit that has all basic stuff, after a while if you need a different tool buy it.

Get a couple of lawn chairs, if you do outside BBQing invest in a good grill. We use ours a lot. I opted for a small propane grill instead of charcoal.

Although we had a smaller Class C, when we bought our Class A we moved as much as we thought was useful but opted to just buy what we else needed.

Good Luck
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take a small tool kit with the basics like screw drivers, pliers, hammer, etc.. and for me, I always like to have a drill driver. You'll find a lot of stuff you want as you go, but Walmart carries a lot of RV items and they are everywhere. Good luck and God Bless.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #11

A towing / road service policy. I like Coach.Net but some people prefer Good Sam. Use SEARCH here for lots of comments here regarding these.

Quote:
...Is there anything you can think of that is absolutely necessary that you would never leave behind?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Since you are going in your CRV to pick it up, I submit that the best (and easiest) thing to do is pack your credit card and the location of Wal-Marts and other big-box stores. Buy as you find the need. Even if you pack stuff to begin with, you will still do this.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Also consider packing things you want and shipping them to Az so they will be there when you arrive. I would think either the dealer or private seller would hold the stuff till you arrive. That way, you can get your kitchen necessities on hand plus using the bath towels as packing material. Ditto with extra clothes.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #14

A previous poster mentioned Coach Net or Good Sams. I prefer Coach Net but either work. Basically they are roadside service insurance. GET ONE!!!!! Just changing the inside dual on my Class A cost over $200 for the service. I cannot even lift the tire anymore. A few years ago I was towed to a shop 20 miles away for over $250. The $100 per year cost is more than worth it.

Check your insurance company - if they think you are just getting a big car - start looking elsewhere. This is a rolling home and a car it isn't.

Don't forget to purchase toilet chemical for the grey/black tanks.(Walmart)

Get a 15/30 and a 30/50 amp power adapter for your electrical cord. Sooner or later you will run into a place where one will be required. (Walmart)

Get a cheap water hose pressure regulator - I have been to places where the local water pressure is 100 psi. Your motor home does not like anything above about 50 psi.(Walmart)

If you don't have one a good pressure guage for the tires. Most likely you will need one that reads to 120 psi.

Have the dealer fill your LP tank. It's cold out there and you want heat and to cook your food.

Make sure the dealer gives you a FULL tour of the motor home. If he takes less than 3 or 4 hour you will miss something you need to know!!!!

Last but not least - don't worry about asking for help at the camp grounds. Campers are friendly and will gladly help if asked.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote