Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2018, 05:23 AM   #1

Most people have to learn how to RV, and especially in cold weather.

however simple a question from someone seems, please try to answer them (even if you answered the same question to someone last week).
Dannyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #2

Folks here at pretty good about providing suggestions, ideas, how to, known fixes, etc.

But sometimes it is difficult to properly respond when the post makes very little sense, provides next to nothing in information or is so convoluted it is unreadable.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Folks here at pretty good about providing suggestions, ideas, how to, known fixes, etc.

But sometimes it is difficult to properly respond when the post makes very little sense, provides next to nothing in information or is so convoluted it is unreadable.

Thank you . Stay warm [emoji5]
Dannyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyparker View Post

Some of us will, I'm sure.

Yes, it's easy to get cranky when reading the A.M. version of a question asked the P.M. prior. This is what happens when a website like iRV2 becomes a "live wiki". Folks with questions don't bother to search (and iRV2 pays Google for the custom search box at the top of each page). Their problems are not terminally unique but they have no clue that scrolling down an index page by 30 posts will show them 4 nearly identical questions.

How many winterizing questions of the "do I need to do this?" type have been asked in the last 4 days? A bunch.

I agree with Old Biscuit - some folks ask questions without enough info to help them with answers; others seem to use speech-to-text on their phones, with a resulting word salad of no punctuation to allow discernment of the actual question. We ask for more info and others think we're being jerks when we're trying to give a useful answer to the actual problem, not necessarily the question as posed.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #5

And many ask questions and never respond to their thread......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:

That is not a problem......
I have propane and use it frequently
Old 11-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:
however simple a question from someone seems, please try to answer them (even if you answered the same question to someone last week).
Yep. We've been RVing for about four years and still learning.

We also shouldn't forget that even though the Internet has been around for a few decades now, there are still people somewhat new to it.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:39 PM   #8

I agree many questions don't get answered because no one understands what is being asked, and the question has a complete lack of information that people need in order to answer. When it is a partial lack of information we can query back by asking things like, which exact model of furnace do you have?

However when the question is "What kind of RV should we buy?" without including any details on number of people, life style, anticipated use, budget, etc. it is impossible to give a reasonable answer.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #9

It's also helpful if folks create a 'Signature Line'.... easy to do, instructions on this site. In it put your type, manufacturer and year of the RV. Many answers are dependent on this information.

The Signature Line will show up automatically on every post you create or answer. You only have to create it once.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:51 AM   #10

As a person who frequents a number of forums and has for years I often read people being somewhat short with new people who come to a forum to ask a common question. Specifically with regards to using the search function first. As a regular user, I find it can be surprisingly difficult if you don't put the proper terms into the search box. I just went through this on a car forum where my searches kept coming up dry. Then on a fluke, I discovered I wasn't inputting the proper term and when I did, I got the results I was looking for. Other times I haven't, and posted the question only to be told in a terse manner to use the search function first.

I guess I'm saying, we should all try to understand not everyone is good at this whole forum thing even after all these years, and novices come with good intentions to seek help from people with similar interests, even if they do so awkwardly. I've seen new posters get pretty beat up by regulars in all forums which is a shame, and I hate to see it happen. I for one, am happy to answer a question even if I've answered it 100 times before because I like to give back for all the help other have offered me.

On a different note. Learning to Rv especially in cold weather can be a challenge if you are used to a well insulated house with inground water and an endless supply of natural gas, electricity or wood. It can however be a Godsend to be self contained when the power goes out, the northeaster is blowing and the snow flying. When we bought our property and were waiting for our house to be built we lived in an old 28' travel trailer. That winter was one of the worst in a long time with days long power outages leading to frozen pipes and spoiled food in a lot of homes. Power would get restored, then go back out because a silver thaw was bringing down power lines, poles and trees. We on the other hand were snug with our propane furnace, refer and 12v lights. Our trailer was old enough it even had a propane mantle type lamp in the living room. It was like living in a small cabin but we were fine while many people we know were in bad shape in their sticks and bricks.

Happy RVing!
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
As a person who frequents a number of forums and has for years I often read people being somewhat short with new people who come to a forum to ask a common question. Specifically with regards to using the search function first. As a regular user, I find it can be surprisingly difficult if you don't put the proper terms into the search box. I just went through this on a car forum where my searches kept coming up dry. Then on a fluke, I discovered I wasn't inputting the proper term and when I did, I got the results I was looking for. Other times I haven't, and posted the question only to be told in a terse manner to use the search function first.

I guess I'm saying, we should all try to understand not everyone is good at this whole forum thing even after all these years, and novices come with good intentions to seek help from people with similar interests, even if they do so awkwardly. I've seen new posters get pretty beat up by regulars in all forums which is a shame, and I hate to see it happen. I for one, am happy to answer a question even if I've answered it 100 times before because I like to give back for all the help other have offered me.

Happy RVing!
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #12

A simple question starts by making it clear to others what the problem is.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
A simple question starts by making it clear to others what the problem is.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #14

I buy the earlier form of 2-piece thermal underwear (white) nothing fancy, And, I wear it when I'm cold. I can't sleep if it's cold, even when others do not think it's cold. And, I sleep in thermal underwear, even when sleeping in my good-quality, down-filled, ample size, Coleman sleeping bag. At night, I don't mind running the ONAN Quiet Diesel generator so I can power a few quiet box heaters. Being cold is old fashion.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather