Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2021, 06:44 PM   #1

Most Reliable way to RV?

Due to health issues I'm unable to stay in hotels or easily make other living arrangements so having the security of the same place to stay each night or limp home in case of a catastrophe is a high priority for me.

So, what do you view as the most reliable way to four season travel? I see it like this:

1) Gas is easier to repair/replace if an issue comes up but less reliable than diesel and tend to lack DP build quality in the case of a motor home.
2) A motor home towing a mini van would offer some redundancy in a pinch but costly to tow and large.
3) A motor home towing an enclosed trailer would potentially give you storage and a small second place to stay while waiting for repairs but you have no practical transportation while staying places for extended times.
4) A truck and a 5er seem like the logical choice but then you don't get that DP build quality and fit/finish.
5 A van with a travel trailer again lack that DP build quality and vans are harder to work on than trucks.

I'm on a fixed income with a $25-$35k budget (I already own a nice enclosed trailer) so keep that in mind, it isn't huge but also not undo-able. I'm also very handy and can fix most things within reason myself.

I've had trips go very smoothly and others with endless breakdowns and need for repair. I've vowed to never have a motor attached to my living space again as a result however I really dislike the build quality of the travel trailers and most gas motor homes I've seen.

Also, I'm looking for something older, I'm very sensitive to chemicals so I would want something at least 15 years old so it's done off gassing.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2021, 06:51 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You can't have it all!

A trailer. Either 5th wheel, or bumper pull!
Old 11-21-2021, 08:28 PM   #3

You will get lots of opinions

My view.... An older Diesel Pusher will give you better build quality.

As for motor home vs trailer to safely move the trailer around requires a large fuel inefficient vehicle as a daily driver. A motorhome is not fuel efficient but is not the daily driver.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:18 PM   #4

Do you already have a full size truck? Do you already have a mini van? Or are you starting with a blank slate other then the enclosed trailer.

If you have a truck, I'd go with a 5er or nice TT. A reliable truck would take up a large portion of your budget.

If you don't have a truck, you can get a nice gas MH far cheaper then a DP, and still pull a mini van. Although ride quality suffers. If you are not traveling long distances frequently. I wouldn't go for a DP.

There seem to be alot more shops that are knowledgeable with gas engines, more so then diesel. So if something happens, you usually don't need to go to a specialty garage. Not all shops have a certified diesel mechanic on site.

Hope this helps, let us know what you decide once there are more posts.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster73 View Post
Do you already have a full size truck? Do you already have a mini van? Or are you starting with a blank slate other then the enclosed trailer.

If you have a truck, I'd go with a 5er or nice TT. A reliable truck would take up a large portion of your budget.

If you don't have a truck, you can get a nice gas MH far cheaper then a DP, and still pull a mini van. Although ride quality suffers. If you are not traveling long distances frequently. I wouldn't go for a DP.

There seem to be alot more shops that are knowledgeable with gas engines, more so then diesel. So if something happens, you usually don't need to go to a specialty garage. Not all shops have a certified diesel mechanic on site.

Hope this helps, let us know what you decide once there are more posts.

No, I have a Tacoma which pulls like 6,500lbs but I'm one who likes a 25% buffer on what I'm willing to pull so I'll go up to about 4,000 which isn't much. I have two enclosed trailers, also a 24+5 gooseneck but nothing that would help with what I mentioned above beyond the enclosed trailer.

I might be able to do what I'd like if I budgeted $15k to a truck and $20k to a 5th wheel like an Excel or something else that's older and higher quality.

I do agree on a DP, I had an amazing chance to by a Vogue 2 years ago that was perfectly maintained and absolutely beautiful but was worried about long term costs with trying to maintain it.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:54 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Stay away from a P32 at all costs. The Workhorse chassis is the best gaser chassis. But, it is an orphan and parts are hard to find at a reasonable cost. So, your left with Ford or Cummings.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:05 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oemtech View Post
Stay away from a P32 at all costs. The Workhorse chassis is the best gaser chassis. But, it is an orphan and parts are hard to find at a reasonable cost. So, your left with Ford or Cummings.
Cummings as in Cummins does not make a gas chassis so that leaves only Ford if you go gas.

Glenn
Old 11-21-2021, 10:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
Cummings as in Cummins does not make a gas chassis so that leaves only Ford

Glenn
For a class A you only have Ford has and Cummings for diesel. Class C's are pretty much the same. Trucks, 5 wheels and travel trailers offer a bit more selection.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:25 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I would look seriously at a 5th wheel. I had an Alpenlite 5er and the build quality is every bit as good as our mid-2000's Alpine Coach DP, which is on par with Beaver, American Tradition, Monaco, etc.... of the same era.

In our case, we bought an Alpine Coach as it was the same parent as Alpenlite and the Cabinets and even much of the furniture was exactly the same. Look for upgraded Axles and Disc brakes as well as a competent inverter set-up and you should be golden with a good reliable Diesel Truck......good luck!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:41 PM   #10

With your budget you should go with a 5th wheel and truck. 5th wheels have more storage than a travel trailer. Downsize the stuff you have now. You don't need to tow an enclosed trailer. A 5th wheel would have plenty of storage for one... or two. Millions of full-timers have trailers. Motorhomes would be very costly for you with repairs and mileage.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oemtech View Post

I have had good luck the past year with parts. I've done some suspension components, bushings, front bags and a tune up. Other then the bags, everything was from Autozone
Old 11-22-2021, 08:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster73 View Post
I have had good luck the past year with parts. I've done some suspension components, bushings, front bags and a tune up. Other then the bags, everything was from Autozone
What are you working on? P32, W series?

Look for Autopark parts!
Old 11-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #13

An older, mid sized Airstream could work for you. Good quality and could be in your price range if lucky in the search.

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:27 AM   #14

I have a 2000 P32 and I have had some problems. The main reason is that it sat for 3+ years unused. The worst was when the injectors got crud in them 1200 miles away. So far as the AAP I had problems with it until I decided to rebuild it with UltraRV's kit and now works good. Everything WILL give you trouble and so far as the AAPB the problem is repair shops not wanting to learn on them. A quick look at UltraRV will give you all the info you want. After reading about most other chassis there are none that will not give problems but no one writes about all the good, just the bad. So far as finish my 2000 Winnebago Adventurer has good interior finish, not top of the line but better than average.

Tags
full time