RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2020, 04:38 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Motion Activated Security Lights?

With everything going on I have been thinking of installing some motion activated security lights. I have seen several solar powered ones, but I am wondering how they would ride.

Has anyone done this?

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2020, 04:47 AM   #2

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I installed this one 2 years ago. Love it.
http://www.amazon.com/Starlights-SL-.../dp/B004O7DBM4

mdka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:54 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdka99 View Post
I installed this one 2 years ago. Love it.
http://www.amazon.com/Starlights-SL-.../dp/B004O7DBM4
Thanks I will need to check for the right color and size to replace my current two lights. These are on the passenger side.

Solar lights may be my best option for the driver side and rear. These would also help if I need to be in these areas at night.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #4

I would hope you could set them not to pop on when a night animal moves or during windy nights and the trees rustle.

Where are you staying that you feel you need security lights?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:41 PM   #5

I thought about adding these as well but then held off because the ones I was looking at were solar and how could I stop them activating if I was driving down the road at night.

This may not be a problem as I have never tried them.
BriarPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:21 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I would hope you could set them not to pop on when a night animal moves or during windy nights and the trees rustle.

Where are you staying that you feel you need security lights?
No where yet, but the country is getting crazier by the day.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:56 PM   #7

You need a lot more light to take on intruders... I'm holding out for a Romulan disrupter from Star Trek but these are here, now. Not sure you can get one at Kamping Wurld.

https://defense-update.com/20200108_hel_israel.html
Old 07-01-2020, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdka99 View Post
I did last year, it is not so bright it will bother others, yet bright enough to light the way when we return to the MH after dark; plus, the LED light "bulb" is adjustable/directional.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:58 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I am not worried about my key destination stops, but I normally have several overnight stops to get to them. These are the reason for wanting the lights.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I am not worried about my key destination stops, but I normally have several overnight stops to get to them. These are the reason for wanting the lights.
Just wondering why they would be different for you?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:13 AM   #11

Ray, I got this cool little light from amazon. It's battery operated but since it's motion activated should last a good while. It is magnet mounted and is fully adjustable to just about any angle. I've installed it next to my entry door and it's nice to have it come on when I return to the coach at night.
When traveling I remove it from it's magnet holder and stow it until at the next campsite. It put's out a lot of light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
You need a lot more light to take on intruders... I'm holding out for a Romulan disrupter from Star Trek but these are here, now. Not sure you can get one at Kamping Wurld.

https://defense-update.com/20200108_hel_israel.html

This may be overkill for the average RV, but maybe not.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #13

I don't know if this would apply to you but I put a motion activated LED "porch light" on my fifth wheel and mostly keep it turned off because of complaints from the neighbors about it turning off and on for various reasons at night.

It also has a tiny green light that blinks off and on telling me that the motion sensor is activated and on a dark night with no other lights around that tiny flashing green light actually lights up the ground around the trailer a little bit further bugging the neighbors. I keep it turned off now in less I'm boondocking in the middle of nowhere.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #14

I bought mine on Amazon. $23 for the pair. The first pic is the one next to the entry door. It is mounted with Extreme/Outdoor Velcro. It is a replacement for one that fell off because it was mounted with Industrial Velcro which is not nearly as strong as the Extreme/Outdoor. It did survive several trips when I forgot to remove it before departure.
The second pic is of the one I mounted over my motorcycle with the same Extreme/ Outdoor Velcro. Both lights have survived several half hour trips as a test. I don't think I will have to worry about leaving them attached while we travel.
I leave the front door light enabled all the time we are parked. It detects us when we get 5-10 feet away, lights up our path and lets me get my key out and into the deadbolt lock and shuts off soon after we are inside. I intend to disarm it with the small black button next to the motion detector sensor when travelling so it doesn't startle the driver in the lane next to us at night.
I have the light over the bike disarmed for now because my American and POW/MIA flags about 10 feet behind the coach would trigger it off and on all night. We have had about a 3 month infestation of Miller moths and they trigger the light constantly. I wonder if the first time they trigger it is by accident and they keep doing it for the reward.
The wire you see in the second pic goes to a solar panel inside the window that maintains the battery on my motorcycle.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200705_140947806_HDR.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	292108Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200705_141046617_HDR.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	292109

2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights