Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #1

Motorcycle Carrier

We are considering purchasing a Blue Ox Motorcycle Carrier I to carry a Harley 883 Sportster on our 36' Fleetwood Expedition. This type has a ramp that you load the bike with. Has anyone had any experience with this type carrier? Thanks for any advice you can give!
betsykahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Question- Is it feasible to consider a motor cycle carrier with a mo/ho that has a rear radiator? My first thought is an awful lot of heat passing around the motorcycle would ruin the paint and rubber pieces. If you have a side radiator, heat would not be that much of a problem.
Just thinking- I also would like to carry a small scooter on my mo/ho.
Thanks for letting me butt in.
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #3

In response to the Blue Ox Carrier I question. I don't think you will be too happy with it. If I am looking at the right one on the Blue Ox site You will have a difficult time loading and unloading it. I had a similar carrier that came from Campiing World, (they don't carry it anymore). I have a 1200 HD Sportster. It was on a 36' HR Vacationer. The biggest issue is getting up the ramp and stabilizing it untill it was fastened. I now have a HR Endeavor 40' and put a Overbuilt motorized lift on it. It is a world of difference. You load it on the ground and then lift it and secure it. If you wish any more input let me know.
In response the the radiator question. I have had this setup for 5 years and never had an issue as far as air flow or heat. It is a rear radiator coach. The bike does get dirty on the trip, but it cleans up OK. The scooter issue could be resolved with a Blue Ox carrier I that was mentioned, but if your intention is to carry both a MC and a scooter you need to forget the carrier and use a trailer.
Jim Krasner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #4

I have carried a scooter using the ramp style motorcylce carrier from CW. I forget the brand name but it is very sturdily built and adjustable. It is ackward to load the scooter if the carrier is high off the ground. What I have done is to raise the front of my MH with the leveling jacks. This lowers the height of the carrier considerably and makes loading/unloading easy. It also helps to have a tiedown strap ready to stabilize your ride as soon as you roll it into place.

Since I now tow a dingy, I'm looking to sell my carrier if your in the So Cal area and your interested.
jupoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:18 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Cruiser Lift is real nice and not too much $.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #6

Betsykahl ~ I think you should call Blue Ox customer care. I know they have a model with an electric lift. I don't know too much about them, but do have friends that have one and it has an electric lift.
lucky leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #7

I've seen them load their MC and it's a very simple thing. Just drive into it on the ground and then there's a hydraulic lift that puts it up into the back of the truck. Can't get much simplier than that.
lucky leo is offline   Reply With Quote