Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsalone View Post
Hello everyone,

I wanted to let you know I did check out the Hydralift, and the quote I received for that unit was $7800.00 installed out of the door. RV Vagabond, I did check out your video a couple of times (nice video, btw).

Additionally, I'm looking at the Cruiser-lift as well! I have also priced having a 7X12 V-nosed trailer manufactured for me, and I can have that built here in Georgia for $3400.00. My initial thought was to not have a trailer, but the prices and tradeoffs for the lifts are slowly changing my mind. Please, let me know what you guys think. I do value your experience, and research your suggestions.

Best regards,

David
David,
Well Sir, been in the same predicament on and off, for years. I'll make this as short as possible. When I retired, we wanted to go on a "retirement" trip. And, we had a '99, 34' Fleetwood Bounder with the V-10. I wanted to take our 2002 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing along. So, we purchased an Interstate, 7' x 16' V-nosed, tandem axle trailer. Now, of course you can get a smaller trailer, even for your Harley. But, I figured if I'm gonna do this, I'm not gonna cheapen out and get a tiny trailer and, fight the tying down and securing of that Wing, in a tight space, each and every time we packed up to move to some other place.

So, I set up the trailer to haul the Wing, two bicycles, a small trailer that we would tow behind the Wing every once in a while and, some misc other stuff. That scenario worked great for that trip. But, that trip was blessed with GOOD WEATHER, for the entire duration. We were seriously lucky 'cause, we're not wet weather riders. But, if the weather had turned south, we'd have been stuck in our RV for the duration.

So, we changed coaches. And we did the change keeping in mind that, we'd HAUL the Wing on the back of it AND, tow a toad. We'd have the best of both worlds there. So, we got our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and Allison MH3000 trans. For the lift, I didn't screw around. I knew (as most do) that the Hydralift is the king of the lift/carriers. Some worry about the hydraulics. That thought NEVER even crossed my mind. I, and many others that I've talked with NEVER had one hydraulic leak or problem in the 2+ years we used it.

First off, you don't have to buy one new. If you're lucky, AND PATIENT, you can get a great deal on one from Craigslist, or the sales ads in the forums, ebay, and other places. They, the Hydralift that is, normally runs about $4,500, shipped to your local installer. We got one used, about 250 miles from our home. I paid $1,800, total.

I did the install. I won't go into all the details but, suffice to say, I BOLTED it on instead of welding it on for a couple of reasons. First, just in case, at any time in the future, I wanted that lift off, it's easy, UN BOLT IT. Second, since the factory hitch was rated for 10,000 lbs, I figured I'd just remove that hitch and bolt the mounting steel, right to the same holes in the frame. I then mounted the Hydralift to that steel, DONE.

Now, one more thing. I setup the hydraulics AND the electric side, to use quick disconnects. That way, if I wanted to do maintenance of any type, or any form of repair on the back of that coach and that engine, that lift could be removed in a matter of minutes. As in 6, to be specific. Yep, I could have that lift off the back of the coach in 6 minutes.

Now, here's the deal. Our coach, as stated, is a 36' diesel coach. I knew, waaaaaay in advance, I'd be over the GAWR of the rear axle. But, I also knew that the structure could/would take the overload. With all that being said, we hauled that Wing, and towed our '04 Jeep Rubicon, for well over 8,000 miles, without one single issue. The coach drove straight down the road, no wandering, no porpoising, no ill handling issues whatsoever.

And, contrary to some that think the end of the world was gonna happen if I did it this way, the coach rode at the same EXACT height, both in back and front, WITH THE WING as it did without the Wing and the lift. I lost EXACTLY 109 lbs off the front when the Wing was mounted on the back. Heck, if the wife was driving, and I got up to go to the head, that front end just lost 240 lbs!!!!!! So, again, IT WORKED.

But, we while I knew the structure could and did take the overload, I was skeptical at what the tires could handle. So, long story short, we sold the lift and purchased a truck. And, I bought a Rampage lift that goes into the back of the truck. I built a cart for Rampage because, I don't need that lift in the truck when it's not being used. When it comes time to load the lift, I roll the cart up to the back of the truck, transfer the lift to the truck, and roll the cart away. The lift is bolted to the truck in about 4-5 minutes and we're ready to load the bike.

But, the point here is, there's multiple ways to attack your dilemma. It all depends on your outlook, your values, what you're willing to do and or live with and, of course, what you're willing to spend. We both really, really liked the Hydralift. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if all the load's could be accounted for. The truck, and the Rampage is also a nifty way to go. I left out a lot of detail here but, you got the point. A trailer large enough just for the bike, limits your manuverabilty during wet weather, or at least for us it does.

A lift on the back of the coach, is expensive but, it's one way of allowing for bringing the bike and a toad. The truck and Rampage accomplishes the same goal, just in a different manor. And, for those that think you can't drive around with a 900 lb. motorcycle in the back of the truck, well, they're clueless. There's been a zillion times when we pulled into a campsite for the night and, disconnected the truck from the coach but, wanted to go get some dinner etc.

We just zoomed down and got dinner. The bike is locked into the back of that truck, with EIGHT tie downs. It AINT GOING ANYWHERE!! If you've got questions and would rather PM me, be my guest. I'd be glad to help.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0236.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	233790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0242.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	614.7 KB
ID:	233791  

Name:	IMG_0409.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	233792   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0478.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	387.6 KB
ID:	233793  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #16

Jim and Linda, and Scott,

thank you for you ideas and input. Scott, thanks for the pictures as well. you have a beautiful set up. Considering all of the input I've received on this thread, I know what I'm going to do:

My wife and I are going to opt for the Cruiser-lift unit to put on the back of our coach. I'm actually going to call the folks in Katy on Monday to get something set up. Again, I want to thank you guys.

Kind regards,

David
davidsalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:17 PM   #17

The company in Katy also makes the swivel trailer, which is a platform with a dolly wheel. This will keep the weight off the rear of the MH w/o the issues of towing a trailer. It won't hurt to ask about the swivel trailer option.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SWcover2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	233892  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
David,

That sounds like a plan that will work.

BUT, keep in mind that both FIREUP and myself cautioned against having only the motorcycle to use during crummy weather.

When you get the lift installed, make sure you check out the extended hitch set up, it moves the center receiver back about 40 to 45 inches so you can still tow a toad. That way in the future you can look for a cheap light vehicle to pull at the same time.

Like FIREUP, I also bolted my hitch, the factory 10,000 lb. hitch had 8 bolts, I used 14-3/4 in. bolts when I installed mine. They may try and talk you into welding to the frame, I felt better with the bolts.
Either way you go, it is really fun to set up camp in a national park and head out a different direction each day on the bike!

Good luck,
Jim
Old 02-03-2019, 05:21 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
At one time, my sister traveled in a Class A with her husband who has since passed. They pulled a trailer that was big enough for both their Harleys and an Austin Mini. Not sure what type RV or trailer but that is also a thought. You sure don't want to be stuck in bad weather driving your RV to a restaurant in town because it is too poor outside to ride the bike.
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:41 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
My Hydralift is also bolted to the frame (same bolt holes that hold the 10,000 trailer hitch. With the Hydralift or similar setup, you can take the bike to ride on nice days and still tow a Toad if you want both.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Beaver carrying V-Star.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	233929  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:46 AM   #21

David, welcome.

Looks like folks have outlined most of your options pretty good.

When we purchased our current DP we went through the same process of trying to decide how we could take both a car and our Harley with us. I looked at a hydrolift system and pulling our SUV 4-down but wasn't sure I wanted everything out in the elements all the time.

We looked at a stacker style trailers but the prices, even used, were pretty high at the time.

Finally went with a v-nose 24' enclosed car hauler. To keep from having a large escape door on the side we got rid of the SUV and now drive a Mini Cooper. It is about the lightest smallest 4-door vehicle that I can drive into the trailer and still squeeze out of. Having this size of a trailer allows me to take a lot more "stuff" with me besides just the car and Harley.

It will limit you to what campgrounds you can stay in. However, we are camped/parked somewhere 365 days a year and haven't had an issue yet. It just takes a little more planning.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:00 PM   #22

Again,

I want to thank you all for your ideas and input. I will certainly ask the folks at CruiserLift about the extended hitch to allow for a Toad as well. I want to ensure I'm optimizing my transportation options, when we are on the road. I'll also ask my fabrication guys about a bolt-on solution as well as as welding on the three-point hitch. Thank all of you so much!

Kind regards,

David
Old 02-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #23

Nor'easters Club
Have you looked at the Rampage lift from Moffett Enterprises. May need to modify it for a hitch mount
cbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:04 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
I had an Overbilt installed on my Phaeton. Carreid either my Fatboy or Streetglide with no problem. It's also set up to tow a car behind. Was very happy with it.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #25

I have a Class A and a Hydrolift. Didn’t want a trailer to have to store when I arrived at my destination. I got it used (only used twice on someone else new rig but wife didn’t like the rig so husband was selling) two years ago and have had no problems with the hydrolics. New price is about $4,500 plus install, was quoted $1000 for the install of a new one. I paid $4,900 installed. Had it welded onto the frame. I have a drop down hitch as my extension and tow a Jeep Wrangle four down.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:05 AM   #26

American Coach Owners Club
I used an Overbilt carrier for my 1500 Goldwing for 12 years with great results. Was also able to tow a vehicle at the same time without issue. I would concerned with the weight-carrying capabilities of your RV, particularly if you don't have a tag axle. That might mandate a carrier with its own wheel(s) to avoid issues down the road. Have fun.
Old Dinghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #27

Hello rx4risk,

I'm in Central Georgia and I'm very interested in your Cruiserlift. I can't come and get it, but I'm willing to pay for shipping. Please, give me a call at 210-617-0292. My name is David Salone.

Kind regards,

David
Old 02-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #28

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to send you all a note to let you know I really appreciate all of the input and ideas I have received on this thread. On Monday, I'll be taking my coach to have the Cruiserlift Motorcycle Carrier installed on my 2007 Phaeton. I'll post some pictures, once everything is completed.

Best regards,

David