Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2022, 11:59 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM GUY View Post
Larrikin, the AERODYNAMIC drag increases by a 40%, but the total drag is much lower. I agree that driving slower improves fuel mileage, but not as much as the "experts" say. As speed increases, so does the distance covered; your drag increases with the square of speed, but so does the ground covered.

The result is that mileage goes down linearly with the speed, but not with the square.

And rolling friction is much higher than aerodynamic drag.

Just a tote to clarify.

Tom

The experts? Like engineers and people who build vehicles for a living? you think they're wrong? You go from 65 in your RV to 75. That's 15% faster. You'll be burning a LOT more than 15% more fuel.

Rolling resistance matters a ton less at speed.
wannaclassc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2022, 01:55 AM   #184

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickemo View Post
Sitting here drinking my morning coffee and thinking back over our 1800 mile journey from Pennsylvania to South Padre Island Texas. We averaged 6.5 mpg in our 2020 FR3 30DS towing our Jeep Wrangler.
As a retired engineer I notice things such as architecture and the method other vehicles on the road are designed. The automobile industry including, the trucks that pull the 53 foot trailers, have made great strides in designing aerodynamic features into their product. Many 5th wheel trailers and Class C motorhomes are designed with aerodynamics in mind.
What about the Class A motorhome? There seems to be no effort by the RV industry to apply aerodynamics to these RVs. The majority are square flat front with little consideration to aerodynamics. In our age of computer simulation it seems to me the industry could put more effort into engineering the front of the Class A motorhome. Maybe an increase in fuel economy due to better aerodynamics would increase motorhome sales.
So now my coffee and thinking are done for today You all be safe and have a great day.
If you think there's a way to improve aerodynamics on a vehicle that puts a premium on usable living space, I've got some beachfront property in Kansas I'd like to sell you.

Really cheap too !!

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 04:17 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Interesting. At least Caterpillar would differ with that statement and supports it with data:

https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/engine...erformance.pdf
Nice reference. I was expecting a picture of a bulldozer with a spoiler.
Old 09-09-2022, 04:54 AM   #186

Winnebago Owners Club
Sad part is these studies and such have scientific data to support one way or the other and build arguments to support a specific research.. Physics and the laws are fact and that data is sometimes looked past..

The chassis design and aero is very much a factor.. RV is still a cube,, the old flat nosed conventional Tractor trailer combos back in the day just pushed air.. then they added a long nose with the same motors and even made the tractor longer sleeker and with the same power plants saw bigger increases in MPG..

Still without a proper designed motor for volumetric efficiency in a target rpm/speed range with proper power to weight...you are up craps creek...
You can go after the aero tweeks of spoilers and wheel covers once you have engine efficiency..

Funny how years back, bail out era,, GM, ford etc Pickups got 8-10 around town 12-14 on highyway beat.. some government cames and fuel/emission mandates or swaying lets say, within 2 years 12-15 around town , 18-21 on highway.. Same motors, same chassis, same weight.. Just tuned ..

blah blah,, RV deal with the mpg. enjoy
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 06:54 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaclassc View Post
The experts? Like engineers and people who build vehicles for a living? you think they're wrong? You go from 65 in your RV to 75. That's 15% faster. You'll be burning a LOT more than 15% more fuel.
Not really. Not if the engine is tuned correctly. I took a 1000 miles round trip with my Revcon. On the way there, I was running late, late at night, pushing 85 mph+ sometimes over 90 mph. I got 8.2 mpg. On the way home I drove a leisurely 70 to 75 mph and got 8.4 mpg. Most engines don't have efficient exhaust flow at higher RPMs. My observation was that with a good free flowing exhaust, the mileage doesn't nose dive as badly.

The fact is, the engine itself is more efficient at higher RPMS. The wider you have the throttle open, the less pumping losses you have.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:55 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
If you think there's a way to improve aerodynamics on a vehicle that puts a premium on usable living space, I've got some beachfront property in Kansas I'd like to sell you.

Really cheap too !!

Cheap is much more important than living space. You can radius corners without giving up storage, but it becomes much more expensive to build.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:14 AM   #189

Motorhome Aerodynamics

I’ve noticed that 5mph + or - on our DP makes very little difference (.5 or less) in avg mpg, UNLESS I’m going against a strong headwind. What I’m towing makes very little difference either unless I’m in steep hills / mountains.

On secondary roads, the weight I’m towing does make a difference since we’re making more stops and starts. I played with gear changes and found that keeping it in 5th instead of 6th in 55mph zones netted a slight avg mpg increase. Torque curve sweet spot? Banks tuning may play a part.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome