Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 04:05 AM   #1

Motorhome insurance

Hi all.

I just bought a motorhome and now I'm looking for the best insurance. What would be the maximum price I should pay for it? What good insurance do you recommend?

Thank you.

Regards
JuanSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 04:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Motorhome insurance

Assuming your using it for vacations and weekends I’d start with your car insurance company and bundle them. As to how much ? that depends on what it’s worth ... used , new 30 grand or 300 grand .. driving record , credit report insurance score , location you’ll garage or store it .... there’s a big difference. My numbers will be very different than yours .. no shortcuts probably on this .. Go to a agent who handles several insurance companies and compares there’s no additional charge for there doing that and in some cases the can get a better deal ... or do it yourself by calling around.
IMO you should reshop all vehicle insurance at least every couple years anyway.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #3

There is no such thing as "best" insurance, especially when you do not bother to define what you need or want.

There are so many variables that no one else's insurance situation will apply to you and your situation. Don't waste your time, call an independent, multi-line broker that specializes in RV insurance, like Miller Agency in Oswego, Oregon to find a policy that works for you.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We get the best prices from Safeco through a local independent insurance agency! They shop all the companies they represent to get us the best deal!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:26 PM   #5

Insurance pricing depends upon a variety of factors. Driving record, age, cost of vehicle, type of coverage and amounts, credit rating, area where you live, where it is stored, and amount of mileage per year.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #6

Whatever you get, we've found that working through a good independent agent much better than going to the company directly. They know how to shop your business to the different carriers, and they will help run interference when there are problems whether in underwriting at the beginning or in claims later on.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:10 AM   #7

USAA is my regular insurance but they dont do motorhomes so they sublet me out to Progressive. Through Progressive I have full coverage. Automatically under them you get towing and all the other stuff with it. I drive and old RV. I am paying $51/month here in the great Taxifornia! USAA is a great insurance company. Its because of its clients. Dont forget to make a list of things you might want to Google first. To include if like your towed vehicle is insured and how much? etc
SK1Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:03 PM   #8

I have all my insurances through one independent agency. Car, trucks,snowmobiles, atvs, homeowner's, farm coverage, and classic car insurance as well as my Motorhome. They shopped around and found Progressive to be the lowest cost with all the standard add ons. After I bought and insured my MH I realized I should have insured it for more than I actually paid for it. I called my agency and asked them if I could raise the coverage. They called Progressive, got me approved and I paid the pro rated increase for the remainder of the year. No cost to me other than for the increase in premium.
If you have an independent agent at least give them a try.
Lynn
Old 06-29-2019, 03:16 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My trailer and autos are bundled under Hartford through AARP.

Great service and low costs year to year. But, I havn't filed any claims in years.

Others mentioned that the variables are too many to generalize. Motor homes will be likely higher due to having more mechanical parts to insure.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanSolera View Post
Hi all.

I just bought a motorhome and now I'm looking for the best insurance. What would be the maximum price I should pay for it? What good insurance do you recommend?

Thank you.

Regards

No one can give you a accurate number, because insurance depends on your income, credit, driving record, age, and how much value you need.

Tags
insurance, motorhome