Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2020, 07:06 PM   #1

Motorhome Insurance

Hello,

We just purchased a Beaver Monterey Laguna and we are looking into insurance and road side service. Any advice on best options? Would appreciate hearing from you

Julia
Jjbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2020, 07:24 PM   #2

We simply went with our auto insurance carrier (Auto Owners) who had very good full coverage rates on our coach. No claims yet [emoji1696]

Roadside coverage via AAA Plus RV. Haven’t used it on this coach but did on our previous one. They provided good service tho we’re open to changing that coverage. Other good ones out there to explore. Others will chime in!!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:36 PM   #3

Our motorized toys (MH, golf cart, boat) are insured with Progressive. We don’t have roadside coverage so can’t speak to that. Recently had a very expensive boat claim and was very pleased with the result.

NEVER EVER consider using ALLSTATE for ANY coverage.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Auto Owners had a decent rate for us. Less than $200.00 a year for recreational use and $1500 for full time. I also have roadside assistance and towing through FMCA for 150 ish a year.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We had Grange insurance previously for home, auto and RV. The RV had to have a separate policy.

This year, since we just finished building our new house, I had my insurance agent/broker evaluate all our insurance. Ultimately I decided on going with Auto Owners insurance for everything. They actually include the RV with the auto, and I saved quite a bit of money overall and am paying slightly more all auto policies including the RV then what the RV cost by itself before. The RV portion is ~$450
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:54 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The insurance industry heavily tailors their rates by location and the specific buyer, so you need to shop individually for your insurance. There is no one company or method that works best for everybody. Or even most people. Vehicle and liability insurance costs and coverages vary greatly with location and individual circumstances, so the company that has a great deal for one owner may well be a poor choice for another. Most all of the national and regional insures also do a credible job or claims management, so differences there are slight.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Gary has, as usual, given great information. I will note that full-timer insurance is quite different than non-FT. If you have regular home owner insurance, your RV contents will generally be covered through that so you need vehicle-style insurance. If you don’t have homeowner’s insurance, you need specialized insurance to cover contents, etc. As for breakdown insurance, we use CoachNet. They provide technical assistance as well as towing, if needed. Lots of things can go wrong with a rig along the side of the road that you might be able to fix yourself.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:20 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Our motorized toys (MH, golf cart, boat) are insured with Progressive. We don’t have roadside coverage so can’t speak to that. Recently had a very expensive boat claim and was very pleased with the result.

NEVER EVER consider using ALLSTATE for ANY coverage.
What's wrong with Allstate?

I use them now for my cars, RV, and house (although house coverage is with "Security First" through my Allstate agent, which I think is an Allstate company). There's not as much choice for Home insurance when you live in FL.

I'll admit that I did not shop around when I added the RV. But I did compare rates when I was looking for just coverage on the cars, and there was not much difference between Allstate, Progressive, AAA, and Gieco at that time.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #9

Allstate Road Service is who Good Sam ERS=Emergency Road Service contracts to provide coverage.
This year GS ERS had my MH towed 2X, totaling over $2,000 for the same incident with no compliant to me. I recommend Good Sam roadside service.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:11 AM   #10

Safeco is who everyone I know of goes with. Best rates, coverage, and payouts. I also shopped with an independent insurance agent in town who gave me competitive rates on combining Auto and RV. I've heard that the absolute worst is Allstate for payouts.
FollowThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
What's wrong with Allstate?

Because they have a long history of doing everything in their power to NOT pay claims .

https://www.dfwpersonalinjurylawyer....consumers-.cfm
Old 11-25-2020, 07:10 AM   #12

Top ten for denying claims
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	309231

Tags
insurance, motor, motorhome