RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2020, 01:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewoof View Post
Appreciate everyone's input. This is not a black and white decision. First off, this is not an (overt) money issue. Sure, have taken a short term beating on the portfolio, but this will pass. I have an excellent financial manager and I am confident I will recover from all this in 12 to 18 months. The contract I signed for the purchase states that the dealer "may retain the Buyers deposit" once the vehicle has been delivered to the dealership. Since the dealer has not been invoiced for the motorhome, much less it being delivered, I can legally get my deposit back. Since the deposit was not much I could walk away from this even if they kept the deposit. I have two main concerns, both voiced in earlier posts. First. I suspect that there will be some bargain RV pricing coming up soon. Though I got 26% off MSRP I feel this could easily become 30+% without too much effort in the next two to three months. Not an insignificant amount given the price of diesel motorhomes these days. Second. Call me overly cautious or even paranoid, but RV destinations (National Parks, State Parks, campgrounds, RV parks, etc.) may not open up for many months, and may not be fully open for even longer. The thought of having a new motorhome sit in the driveway for six months to a year before we can use it makes it difficult to justify the purchase at this time. This really concerns me. If I were to pull out of this purchase now the dealer would be really pissed and I would burn that bridge permanently. No going back to them for purchasing a new one at a later date.
Your response and concerns seem well thought out to me. In other words, is there any down side to you cancelling? If you are set on that exact model than you might not be able to find it. If you are even somewhat flexible than I would cancel. You are right to think you could have a New MH sitting in storage/driveway for months.

Retire 2020 GLW
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Appreciate everyone's input. This is not a black and white decision. First off, this is not an (overt) money issue. Sure, have taken a short term beating on the portfolio, but this will pass. I have an excellent financial manager and I am confident I will recover from all this in 12 to 18 months. The contract I signed for the purchase states that the dealer "may retain the Buyers deposit" once the vehicle has been delivered to the dealership. Since the dealer has not been invoiced for the motorhome, much less it being delivered, I can legally get my deposit back. Since the deposit was not much I could walk away from this even if they kept the deposit. I have two main concerns, both voiced in earlier posts. First. I suspect that there will be some bargain RV pricing coming up soon. Though I got 26% off MSRP I feel this could easily become 30+% without too much effort in the next two to three months. Not an insignificant amount given the price of diesel motorhomes these days. Second. Call me overly cautious or even paranoid, but RV destinations (National Parks, State Parks, campgrounds, RV parks, etc.) may not open up for many months, and may not be fully open for even longer. The thought of having a new motorhome sit in the driveway for six months to a year before we can use it makes it difficult to justify the purchase at this time. This really concerns me. If I were to pull out of this purchase now the dealer would be really pissed and I would burn that bridge permanently. No going back to them for purchasing a new one at a later date.
Separate the emotional from the monetary.

The coach depreciates if you use it or not. While I know not using it right away is disappointing, how does that change the unemotional financial aspects?

If you think you could have gotten a better deal by waiting, yes you *might* have, but based on the info available to you at that time, the dealer and the manufacturer, you all arrived at the 'meeting of the minds' necessary to form a contract. Hindsight is not fungible, so consider it either a premium charge for not having a working crystal ball or simply the price you paid based on your desires and needs at the time you negotiated the deal. That you could possbily do better today is immaterial.

Finally, if you're concerned about angering the dealer - it's either worth the 4% or so, or it's not. It's a binary choice. If you're in the financial position to pay for your purchase I think you should complete it and take delivery. Covid restrictions will eventually be lifted, some sooner than others. Your remorse will last much longer.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
On the other hand, if you have the RV for a few months, but are only partially able to use it due to campgrounds being closed, that would be the perfect time to break it in and find those issues that aren't right from the factory. Camp in your driveway, or go visit family and camp in theirs, maybe a park or two will be open by then. That would give you a chance to find and fix bugs before you were REALLY able to use it. Then it wouldn't be nearly so frustrating if they have it for a few weeks to do the repairs. Your travel plans wouldn't be on hold because you don't have any, yet
Old 04-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #18

It takes an age to get used to a new or used coach and have issues repaired.

What brand is it?
Old 04-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #19

I would continue and take delivery. You voiced concerns that prices might go down in the future....however there is also a good chance prices will go up instead. The general public will view travel by motorhome as safer than airplanes, or staying in hotels, and there could be an even bigger demand for them once the economy reopens.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:51 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought mine in February, just as the COVID-19 was ramping up. I've cancelled 3 trips already but that has been a Godsend as I had several major failures with it setting in my driveway that the dealer fixed immediately. With temps below freezing my Aqua Hot stopped performing. They drove 2 hours to pick it up, take it back to the dealership, repair it and return it to me. I was sure glad this happened while in my driveway rather than on the road somewhere. Soon after its return the Residential Fridge started working intermittently. I ran the troubleshooting and determined it was the control board. Dealer made arrangements with a repair service I had previously used and they had it up and running in a week but with the spreading virus we had already cancelled trip one. I've been using the time to become very familiar with the DP and make a few changes. I would rather be on the road but it is what it is.

As the possibility that the NPs may not open or be severely reduced is a possibility but there are thousands of other places to go and things to see. We've traveled through 46 of the lower 48 and there are still tons of things we have not seen and done. As soon as this stuff passes, and it will, we'll be off. Don't know where yet but hoping we can take planned trip for our 52nd wedding anniversary in May.

Your supposition that if you cancel your order the dealer will really be upset and you will never be able to go to them to buy another later would make pretty petty. I've had to cancel 4 deals over the years which always cost me my deposit, even with the dealer that I just purchased this DP. I told them I was cancelling because I had rethought the situation and determined that it just wasn't right. They thanked me for being candid and when I called about buying they bent over backward to make sure I was satisfied. However, based on your information it appears the dealer is not on the hook for the DP until it was delivered to them which I find contrary to my experiences - but things change.
I would suspect that with all that is going on you will not be the only one to cancel an order for a new DP, car, boat, airplane or house. Some due to financial changes and others out of fear.
If you want the DP but would like to get a lower price you may tell the dealer your concerns about prices dramatically dropping due to the COVID-19 and you are seriously considering cancelling your order. You might be surprised to find they offer to discount the price to keep the sale.
Then again, if cancel and then order after this is all over the wait begins again and it may be next year before you get it.
Your decision - do what gives you peace but consider the cost.

Be safe - Richard
Old 04-10-2020, 03:27 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
The dealer will probably work with you no matter what you finally decide. Why don't you reach out to them to see what your options are? In the end, they want your business.

Another thing to consider, if you cancel banking there being deep discounts on RV's, it may be that once travel restrictions are lifted/campgrounds are open again, those RV's will be in demand & thus costing even more because dealers won't discount them as much. You may not find anything you like in stock & then you're back to ordering a 2021 - which the next model year always comes with a price hike.

Lori
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:45 PM   #22

don’t worry about it sitting in your driveway for 6 to 12 months. More often than not they spend that much time at the dealer getting everything repaired
Old 04-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My thought is that the state and federal parks will open as soon as they can.

I see no reason for them to do otherwise. Private parks might be booked solid for the summer and because folks are cooped up and want to get out.

I would continue the course and finish the purchase. Heck, our fifth wheel sits in the driveway more times than we go use it. And we're retired! If you are making payments on it, that is another story.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #24

Decided to go through with purchase

Wow. Lots of immediate responses and food for thought. I've decided to go through with the purchase. I have an RV pad with full hookups at my house. As was pointed out, it will give me ample time to test all the systems and get everything fixed before my first trip. It will also give me time to outfit the motorhome with all the little extras and customizations.

This forum is an invaluable resource. Thanks all for the input.

Bruce
Old 04-10-2020, 04:35 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
... I have an RV pad with full hookups at my house.....
There ya go. The perfect place to test out all the systems when you bring your new RV home. Plus you can save a lot of campground fees that way!

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Wow. Lots of immediate responses and food for thought. I've decided to go through with the purchase. I have an RV pad with full hookups at my house. As was pointed out, it will give me ample time to test all the systems and get everything fixed before my first trip. It will also give me time to outfit the motorhome with all the little extras and customizations.

This forum is an invaluable resource. Thanks all for the input.

Bruce
Enjoy :-)
Old 04-10-2020, 05:35 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I think moving forward with the purchase is a good decision. I think I would use the current issues as a reason to go meet with the dealer anyways and tell them you are contemplating canceling for the reasons you mention and also that the Coach is really costing you a lot more because of the severe hit everyone’s portfolio has experienced. By costing you more I mean that the cost now is a larger percentage of your portfolio which in itself could be a reason for many to cancel. With good negotiations I would be confident that you could save some pretty good money. You can bet that they are not selling much of anything right now and they certainly will not want to loose your sale.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:59 PM   #28

Or they may throw in an extended warranty or something else.

Closed Thread

Tags
motorhome