Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Does anybody ever keep their word any more? If I made a deal, I gave my word and would not try to chisel the seller after I signed the deal.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2020, 06:42 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
To each his own. The fact is that unprecedented times are here that have changed any deal. The dealer is not a friend and it’s a business transaction. It’s a persons hard earned money and if a bit of it can be saved then go for it.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:48 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Does anybody ever keep their word any more? If I made a deal, I gave my word and would not try to chisel the seller after I signed the deal.
He wasn't trying to chisel anyone. The deal was "I'll buy the RV or you can keep my deposit". The OP already stated that the losing the deposit wouldn't be an issue. So the deal would have been kept. As it happens he's already decided to go through with it, so it's become even more of a non-issue than it was.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:39 PM   #32

We placed an an order right around the first of March. It was a dealer order scheduled for May delivery that we just had time to custom order just what we wanted, including paint. We've waited our whole life for this journey, so we're not backing out now. Never really have it a thought. This too shall pass.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:50 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewoof View Post
Wow. Lots of immediate responses and food for thought. I've decided to go through with the purchase. I have an RV pad with full hookups at my house. As was pointed out, it will give me ample time to test all the systems and get everything fixed before my first trip. It will also give me time to outfit the motorhome with all the little extras and customizations.

This forum is an invaluable resource. Thanks all for the input.

Bruce
Good deal Bruce, I’m sure it’ll work out for you. BTW, you never said what you purchased, please let us know. Just remember, there will be others out here doing the same thing you are, hopefully soon, this will all be behind us and we can hit the road.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:28 PM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
something no won brought up is what if the factory closed down for good in the next few months then he has a coach
worth less and all repair work will now be

paid by him
Old 04-11-2020, 07:00 AM   #35

there are many parameters to your decision and only you can prioritize and weigh them to make a decision. things like:
your finances
your ability to use it
destination availability
warranty, if you don’t use it for a year, will you know what will fail
insurance
storage
pricing
dealer relations

my thoughts (just mine, others may differ)
2020 rv season is low probability
rv pricing will get more attractive
warranty, have a friend that needs to go to Newmar for factory warranty, on indefinite hold due to travel restrictions
other items on list are up to you
good luck!
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
Old 04-11-2020, 09:23 AM   #36

As I see it the biggest question you had ( I say had because you have decided to take delivery ) is usability because of the uncertainty of when National and State parks will reopen. There are a multitude of other options for camping and I am sure that private businesses will be open ASAP. Some of the best experiences are at places that seem to be underused. Try the Harvest Hosts program. Wineries, Farms, (both are small and family owned. great personal attention. ) Golf Courses and Museums' some with restaurants. Free overnights, all they ask is that you patronize their stores and farm stands while you are there. Dry camping but what better way to familiarize yourself with a new unit and you don't need to travel cross country to get there. I have no vested interest, just a happy patron.

That being said I do believe the Govt will also reopen the National and State parks as soon as is safe. They need to get the economy up and running.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewoof View Post
I am sure there are many in RV community with an RV on order (MH, Fifth Wheel, Travel Trailer). I have a 2020 motorhome on order and I am seriously considering cancelling the order. Since this is a not a dealer stock order the dealer would be majorly upset if I cancelled. The coach is built but awaiting paint and final inspection at the manufacturer. I feel there is significant upside risk on my part to continue with the purchase but I also recognize that cancelling the order at this point would cause some real issues for the dealer. This whole purchase and ordering of a new coach started before the Covid-19 pandemic became apparent. Had I known then what I know now I would not have purchased a new motorhome until a path for the pandemic solution was clear. Any thoughts or observations would be helpful at this point.
Wait for the new rig to be delivered to the dealership.
Once it's there do a complete and thorough pre delivery inspection.
Don't sign for the delivery paperwork.
This would be your opportunity to accept or decline delivery.
You will more than likely be able to find a bunch of stuff wrong during the pre delivery inspection. At this point you can say it's not the quality that you were expecting.
They can't hold your deposit nor force you to sign for it.
How do I know ?
I refused delivery of a 2012 Redwood fifth wheel that I ordered from the factory. Tom Lamontang from the Redwood factory call me ask what was wrong,... I told him.
Then I informed Tom I purchased a 2012 Landmark he got upset insulted my wife and my purchase ( said my landmark was junk) and hung up on me.
I got my entire deposit back.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:38 AM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Or they may throw in an extended warranty or something else.
This!!

But you will have to ask for it.

It would be a reasonable request.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:53 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
I think moving forward with the purchase is a good decision. I think I would use the current issues as a reason to go meet with the dealer anyways and tell them you are contemplating canceling for the reasons you mention and also that the Coach is really costing you a lot more because of the severe hit everyone’s portfolio has experienced. By costing you more I mean that the cost now is a larger percentage of your portfolio which in itself could be a reason for many to cancel. With good negotiations I would be confident that you could save some pretty good money. You can bet that they are not selling much of anything right now and they certainly will not want to loose your sale.
What Chargerman said. You don't have anything to lose.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #40

Oh no they would sell one to you in a heart beat, don't fool yourself in to believing that. Revenue is revenue even if they are Po'd.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:00 PM   #41

If you don't have much deposit I would agree with Carl.S, this will give you time and see how things pan out between now and delivery. Now the dealer will be real po'd because it is in his inventory at delivery, but that life in the big city. He will be able to move it the dealer network.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:05 PM   #42

Guaranteed that if you are experienced with RVs, you will find plenty that needs fixing during the pre-delivery inspection. NEVER SIGN OFF until that entire list is fixed, the dealership stops caring about your issues the instant you take delivery and then it becomes a warranty shop issue. (Search "Lazydays" reputation for proof of this!)

The issue of the manufacturer going under with the economy downturn is also a very real one, the current owner of the Monaco nameplate didn't manufacture a single one of their coaches before 2008... And it shows. :( The older ones are built WAY better and the current owner bought the name out of bankruptcy from the 2008 crash. They haven't been terrible on support, but they also aren't selling parts for the older coaches on anything that even approaches a reasonable price or timeframe.

This is not unusual when a brand changes hands... Post-sale support (like warranties) go right out the window because "that was the OLD xyz company... We are the NEW xyz, we didn't write that warranty, sorry."

Tags
motorhome