Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #57

I remember when all non RVers called any motorhome a Winnebago!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #58

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmacy View Post
Mine was, and is, a 1978 MG Midget.
I feel the same way about my 96 Corvette.
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E1FB6E3-8AFE-4301-B263-9B0E6D923BB8.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	362.5 KB
ID:	226151
Just haven’t figured out an “easy” way to transport it behind my Motorhome.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #59

At first I had to agree with those who replied with comments about this being a ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz...but after reading all five pages, I decided for me it was, like most internet forum posts, entertaining first, and informative (maybe) second.
Having owned an RV storage facility for a decade-plus, I got used to people referring to what they called to ask about storing, as just about anything. Sure, "RV" has a specific meaning, but am I the only one who's noticed the English language is beyond being butchered in print these days? This is just another example.
My mother always referred to my RVs as "campers" no matter what they were, and I suppose since I camped in them all, they were indeed campers.

I'm going to close with a pet peeve of mine related to this - when you are looking to store your RV, or reserve a campsite for your RV, please tell the person you're dealing with the REAL, actual, length from bumper to bumper, or cap to bumper, or cap to cap. Seems like each year I see more and more cases where someone says they have a 27 foot (whatever type) RV, but when they show up to store they have a 33 foot total length. And then they get testy when the spot I have for them is too small. I used to think people did this because my storage space rates were based on length, but then I found it's more often was related to people assuming the model # of their RV somehow defined it's length - NOT TRUE people.
Thanks - safe motoring! (or pulling)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #60

Quote:
I feel the same way about my 96 Corvette.
Just haven’t figured out an “easy” way to transport it behind my Motorhome.
I see you're from somewhere closer to the East than to the West, but if you're ever out West, there is a shop near LA that can fix up that 'Vette to tow behind your Motorhome. I found them via a dealer who sold what are oft referred to as "supercars", and at the time, I had a vehicle new to the US that no tow bar mfr had mfr'd the base plates for. This shop custom-welded everything, and the owner had the engineering skills to devise a setup for pretty much anything - and safely so. (yes, besides the base plates to connect the tow bar to, your 'Vette would need either a drive-shaft disconnect or transmission pump - both things that people have used for decades to tow vehicles not designed to be towed behind their, their...well, RV?)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask66 View Post
According to cousin Eddie in the movie (Christmas Vacation) his motorhome is an RV.
That's because a motorhome is an RV. Not all RV's are motorhomes.

My 5th wheel is an RV.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster1 View Post
rotflmao! This brings up old memories of being in the sales department at my family's rv dealership back in the early 90's. Rv, as we all know, is a generalized term meaning "recreational vehicle." they are all "rv's" because they are built for recreational purposes.

One day i had karen the soccer mom drive her chevy astro mini van right up onto the lot blowing dirt all over the freshly washed new 5th wheels and trailers. We were strictly a travel trailer and 5th wheel dealer. We stayed out of the motorhome market to keep operating costs lower.

So karen came up to me and demanded to look at new rv's. I asked her what type she would like to look at. She said, "rv's." so i asked her if she was looking for a travel trailer or 5th wheel. Her response, "i already told you! An rv!" i remained polite and stated that i would be happy to show her anything we had on the lot, but i need to know what she is looking for. She again stated, "an rv!"

this went around and around. Finally i asked, "travel trailer or 5th wheel?" she stated "neither!" so i said, "oh. So a motorhome?" she said, "yes!, an rv!" i cringed as i told her we did not sell motorhomes and referred her to the dealer up the street from us. She got in her astro and peeled out of the lot.

About an hour later, i got a call from the sales manager at the dealership up the street. He thanked me for sending them customers who were looking for something we didnt sell, but for future reference asked that we not send the mentally unstable ones!

We laughed and laughed. I have many memories of some very odd people who came in over the years. She was one of the worst. I'm convinced some people came in just looking for a fight. I don't miss that part of those days at all.
i love it!
Old 11-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
How is this any different than the grief you caused when you started your other thread on RV Definitions, do you do this just to cause grief?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/rv-wo...ns-407890.html
Old 11-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Suggest with your feelings of wanting to make everyone adhere to your mandatory rules you shell out the bucks and start your own RV forum then you can tell us what must place in our signature line, etc...

Knew I should have .....................
Old 11-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
Angry Don't ever compare Motorhomes to Trailers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I'm gonna ask a question that struck a nerve on another Forum. My post is "Under Review" there.

When did the Motorhome crowed decide that they own RV's and not motor homes?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Motorhome with slide-out extended floors
"RV" redirects here. For research vessels, see R/V. For other uses, see RV (disambiguation).

A recreational vehicle (RV) is a motor vehicle or trailer which includes living quarters designed for temporary accommodation.[1][2] Types of RVs include motorhomes, campervans, caravans (also known as travel trailers and camper trailers), fifth-wheel trailers, popup campers and truck campers.
As it should be "under review". First off, RV is short for Recreational Vehicle and the key word there is "VEHICLE", how hard is it to understand that a Travel Trailer is a "TRAILER" a 5er is a "TRAILER" neither of them is a "VEHICLE" Motorhomes are VEHICLES therefore RV is and always has been a reference to MOTORHOMES and there is no comparison between trailers and Motorhomes. Trailers are just that TRAILERS and not now nor ever will be in the same CLASS of MOTORHOMES! Look at your Homes and look at Trailer Parks, no comparison! Trailer Parks are not and certainly will never be in the CLASS of HOMES.

Simply put, "RV" is and ALWAYS has be in reference to MOTORHOMES!!!

Do not trash the Motorhome Category by lumping them in with Trailers, it is the same discredit as saying your home is the same as a trailer park trailer...... People that does not know the difference, NEVER WILL!!!
Old 11-15-2018, 05:01 PM   #66

Tiffin Owners Club
Angry Disagree completely with your assessment.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
That's because a motorhome is an RV. Not all RV's are motorhomes.

My 5th wheel is an RV.
I disagree, your 5th wheel is a TRAILER and it is NOT an RV, you cannot drive a 5er, it has to be towed. An RV is a Recreational Vehicle and the key word is VEHICLE, a motorhome is a VEHICLE it does not have to be towed!

You discredit Motorhomes by including Trailers in the category of RV, they are NOT, they are Trailers, TT's and 5'ers are Trailers - period!!!

Old 11-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #67

All gave some, some gave all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvette85 View Post
I guess I never knew the difference,or really cared !!
Ditto
Old 11-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #68

If a trailer or a fifth wheel isn't a " Vehicle " then why does it need a tag? Try to convince the state of that!
Old 11-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorAce2015 View Post
I remember when all non RVers called any motorhome a Winnebago!
Many I know still do!
Old 11-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #70

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I could have had a V8
Closed Thread

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes, rvs