Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #1

Motorists Behind You

On Wednesday I had the privilege of following a very large DP north on Highway 101 just north of Florence. I followed them for 10 miles with the two vehicles in front of me honking and flashing their lights. This vehicle was maneuvering along the windy stretches of road at a whopping 20 miles an hour and then speeding up to 60 as fast as they could wind the turbo up. There were plenty of spots to pull over and let the long line of traffic pass them, but as some RV'ers do they refuse to think of the people behind them.

What this certain individual driving the DP with a very cute license plate failed to realize is; that there was a reason that the people were honking and flashing their lights. THE OUTSIDE TABLE WAS LEFT OUT WHILE DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD. They did not realize the table was out but those of us behind him did. Tried to warn them and several times he came very close to creating either damage to the DP (very expensive looking one) or causing a wreck, luckily all 101 bicyclist were headed south bound or the table could have potential hit one or a pack of them. I am still amazed that they got through the tunnel.

The driver was either deliberately ignoring those behind them, or they do not use their side mirrors. Either way if more than one vehicle is trying to signal you, you should take it as a hint to pull over and make sure that there is not a hazard that you are creating. This has been a little bit of both a rant and a learning point. I am always checking my side mirrors, one time my hot water heater cover blew open and I caught it immediately. Not TEN miles down the road.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
He was just determined to show you guys back there that he didn't have to move over for anybody!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Put it gear and go, never look back! It is sad but there are RV drivers who should not have a license. Some of them have been driving ALL Day!

But fore the most part they are courteous and skilled.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm not usually holding anybody up, but if I am, I always look for a spot to pull over. It's not always easy thou! Sometimes I don't trust a soft shoulder, and sometimes what "looks" like a decent pullout, is right after a blind corner. I've got to get back on the road after traffic has passed, and don't like the idea of being rammed from behind, by a vehicle flying around said corner !
Old 07-09-2016, 05:37 PM   #5

It is hard to find a place to pull over and can get frustrating especially when some jack horse is riding your a$$. I will pull over but only when it is safe for all of us involved, until then just be patient and try not to kill us both.

Being retired I have certain rules I drive by.

1. Never hurry
2. See first rule
3. No starting before 9 and my ice maker is required to be making ice by 4.
4. No more than 300 miles in one day.
5. If I drive 2 days in a row, the 3rd day I have to stay an extra day to rest and see some local places.
6. If i need to be there in 2 days but the route says 4 to get there (no more than 300 a day), I put my trailer in storage and fly.
7. Be safe, be courteous, be friendly, and realize I am retired and most everyone else on the road is trying to make a living. Get out of their way and let them work, I don't have to.
8. Just keep smiling.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #6

Driver courtesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
It is hard to find a place to pull over and can get frustrating especially when some jack horse is riding your a$$. I will pull over but only when it is safe for all of us involved, until then just be patient and try not to kill us both.

Being retired I have certain rules I drive by.

1. Never hurry
2. See first rule
3. No starting before 9 and my ice maker is required to be making ice by 4.
4. No more than 300 miles in one day.
5. If I drive 2 days in a row, the 3rd day I have to stay an extra day to rest and see some local places.
6. If i need to be there in 2 days but the route says 4 to get there (no more than 300 a day), I put my trailer in storage and fly.
7. Be safe, be courteous, be friendly, and realize I am retired and most everyone else on the road is trying to make a living. Get out of their way and let them work, I don't have to.
8. Just keep smiling.
I too will pullover when it is safe.
Also try to adhere to the 3-3-3- philosophy
No more than 300 miles
Set up,by three.
Stay three days.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:31 PM   #7

Many stated have a traffic delay law. For instance, Indiana has a law requiring slow-moving vehicles to pull off the road at the earliest practical spot when 7 or more vehicles are following them.
This law was designed for farm equipment, but applies to any vehicle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:08 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There are any states that have laws mandating you pull over when X number of cars are behind you. That number varies. I know most RVers don't like to start out on an upgrade, but that's what you have to do. Plus it's the courteous thing to do.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I often wonder when I read accounts of incidents like the one described in the OP's post. When I compare the behavior described in OP's post to my experiences on the road (figure 750K+ miles over the course of 40+ years) - I figure I've seen maybe two situations that approximate that which the OP has described.

The "20 mph" thing sounds pretty horrible in it's own right ... up until I reread it and caught the "through the windy stretches" qualifier. Makes me wish I knew if there were any posted "max speed warning" signs along that stretch. Around here - we've got a few freeway off ramps with curves that have posted 20 MPH warnings. While I usually laugh at those in my daily driver - they take on attention to those "suggestions" when I'm driving my coach.

Same thing applies to the "motorists behind you" thing. The mention of bicyclists makes me think this was a two lane road. If I'm moving at or very near the speed limit (according to the OP, this guy sped up to 60 mph after the curves). I don't pull over to get out of the way of traffic trying to move at faster speeds in those situations. There's always somebody behind you on the road. If I'm moving significantly below the posted limit - I'll happily pull over to get out of the way ... however, if I'm moving at or near the posted limit...not so much (in my state max on a two lane road is 55 mph (which would imply that at 60 - the guy was already 5 over...).

I'm not surprised when I read about what seems to be a clueless driver (RV and/or otherwise) because I know they're out there. I just can't help but wonder if I'd be so quick to condemn the guy if I had a chance to see the situation with my own eyes.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #10

Jack horse?
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:02 PM   #11

Curious what a "very cute license plate" says...........besides Adam Henry on board
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Many stated have a traffic delay law. For instance, Indiana has a law requiring slow-moving vehicles to pull off the road at the earliest practical spot when 7 or more vehicles are following them.

This law was designed for farm equipment....
I wonder how that law defines slow. For instance, if one is going the speed limit but less fast than others are they then slow, thus making the speed limit itself slow? Is less fast necessarily slow? Does preventing people from exceeding the limit (and breaking the law) make a legally recognized delay and thus a breaking of the law? So an unwillingness to let others break the law is itself a breaking of the law? Sounds like a paradox.

Now most farm equipment is by nature unable to reach the speed limit and I think reasonable people would agree that inability constitutes slowness.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:21 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Driving from Yellowstone along the Gardiner River to Bozeman, MT there are numerous signs that you are required to pull over when 3 cars are behind you. No exceptions for "I am going the speed limit and I don't need to let them speed" or "They should just slow down and enjoy the ride like I do." I hate it when I come upon a motor home driving 30 mph with 7-8 cars backed up before I end up in the same line. These guys will drive right past the signs and the well marked (and paved) turnouts!
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:48 PM   #14

The speed was not the problem, I for one, try to drive as slow as possible. I love to have a slow driver in front of me. The issue at hand was his inability to preform his pre travel checks, his during travel checks, and always use the provided side mirrors. If he had used them, then maybe he would have seen his extended table. Or, if he used the mirrors and a little common sense to see and hear numerous vehicles trying to get his attention, think lights and horns aren't normally used for ten miles, he could of pulled over to check for danger. I wish I could say this was the only instance that I personally know of, my daughter was pushed off the road by a class c with their steps extended six months ago. Another example of jack horesry that could be solved by simple use of the eyeball, the side/rear mirrors and the common sense quotient. As has been posted, know the rules of the road you are driving on.