Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2021, 08:04 PM   #43

I have tried many of the remedies mentioned, once lost a pop up to mice infestation, mostly though we have been fortunate. One suggestion not mentioned is to frequently visit the camper and rattle around inside. Because i store the unit in my driveway, this is possible. Of all the posts i have read on this topic, i liked this one the best because it started out saying nothing works!
derosacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2021, 08:16 PM   #44

Please be very cautious about using poisons. If you have pets, rat poison is worse than deadly…. Even if your pet or other harmless animals eat a poisoned rat or mouse, rather than directly ingesting the poison, it will kill them and it is not a pleasant death.
Barkerranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:47 PM   #45

Mouse deterrent

I've heard that hedge apples will keep them away also. That's what I'm using, no problem yet.
Ellis clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:05 PM   #46

Similar to the bounce sheets, we loaded up on maybe 12 bars of Irish Spring for our View C-Class. 10 throughout the coach and learned to put 2 in the engine compartment after seeing mouse turds. Three years and no complaints yet.
RK2zRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:26 AM   #47

This thread has come up many times in the past. There may be differant solutions for different folks, possibly based on location. For us here in PA, we use plain old "Victor" mouse traps. I bait them with extra crunchy peanut butter. I never use glue traps as they're cruel. Forget about those ridicules electronic BS deterrents, they absolutely do NOT work. You can seal up any openings leading to the inside of your camper, but those little furry bas*&@$ always seem to get in. Our coach is parked on our property so maintaining the traps isn't a problem.
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laspen View Post
What is the best mouse deterent for rv stored outside during winter? Electronic ones work? If so which ones? Home remedies?

Laspen
a friend of mine said he uses peppermint oil and has not had a problem scene. oil anyone try peppermint oil
ventura38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK2zRanch View Post
Similar to the bounce sheets, we loaded up on maybe 12 bars of Irish Spring for our View C-Class. 10 throughout the coach and learned to put 2 in the engine compartment after seeing mouse turds. Three years and no complaints yet.
My experience with Irish Spring. Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1634311638615.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	346127
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:33 AM   #50

We have parked for years in a gravel storage area surrounded by woods and have had great success with bounce sheets tucked in everywhere including outside near all entries. Last year we added a few of the fresh cab pouches and that also seemed to have done the trick. The only time we had a problem was when the wife heard about Irish spring soap which actually brought mice to it which they ate!!
We used to get mice every year in the basement of our home in the winter but once I put bounce sheets all around the top of the foundation we haven't seen them since.
BLtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:35 AM   #51

We live in a semi-rural area with lots of mice, some rats. We store our Class A RV on cement at the top of our driveway, plugged in to power. About at least 4 feet of cement all around the perimeter of the RV. I use 3 or 4 electronic "Pest Repellers" in the basement of the RV and the same number in the RV. Have to be plugged in to an AC outlet. They supposedly put out a high frequency sound above our hearing spectrum that drives rodents away. I also scatter 4 or 5 Bounce dryer sheets around on the floor of the RV. Since we have been doing this, I've never seen one evidence of mice/rats in the basement or main compartment of the RV. We also started using these in our house and in my ham radio "shack" which used to have a big mouse problem. They haven't been back.
BobCRCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:31 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
In small closed areas I have found peppermint oil to be effective.

In my vacation house I would find evidence of mice when returning in spring.....put the electronic gizmos all over (6 of them) and never found any mouse evidence after that.....more than 5 years now.
A good dose of oil of peppermint (I use the best essential oil I can find) has always worked for me. I put it in every lower cabinet, every drawer in the kitchen, in closets and anywhere that is accessible to a critter. I don't need it in upper cabinets or shelves. It's the only thing that has worked for me after trying everything except electronic devices which don't work because we don't overwinter on our own property.
NCPearlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:20 AM   #53
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KMA View Post
My experience with Irish Spring. Attachment 346127

If nothing else, the rodents had a clean digestive tract.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:55 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkerranch View Post
Please be very cautious about using poisons. If you have pets, rat poison is worse than deadly…. Even if your pet or other harmless animals eat a poisoned rat or mouse, rather than directly ingesting the poison, it will kill them and it is not a pleasant death.
The fatal dose for a mouse is microscopic compared to that for a dog or cat. A pet would have to eat dozens of poisoned rodents to come close to a dangerous dose.
Jkwilson1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:14 PM   #55

Bounce dryer sheets everywhere, I mean everywhere.
Every drawer, cabinet, everywhere
I leave them there all year long,everywhere
Never had a mouse. Not one in 22 yrs
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:06 PM   #56

rodents

Just wanted to say I agree on using dryer sheets and set spring type mouse traps inside. Been doing this for years and seldom do my traps get set off and no sign of any inside either. I am parked near fields and am able to do a periodic inspection. For the mice to make a nest with a dryer sheet I suspect the dryer sheets may have been so old they no longer had any scent and how often was the rv checked while parked?
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter