Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2021, 05:23 PM   #1

Moving in & setting up

Hi guys long time no talk. Well I finally got my RV and I am going to go over today and start cleaning it up and getting it connected and set up and I wanted any advice you could give me connecting the sewage that electricity what should I turn on and what should I not turn on to run the battery down if I'm connected how do I make sure my battery is not connected I have all kinds of questions so if you guys can give me any recommendations that would be great. I want to be sure that my thermostat works properly cuz I have a cat so when I'm at work I want to make sure that it's not too hot for her. thanks guys
Misjudg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 06:19 PM   #2

Moving in & setting up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misjudg View Post
Hi guys long time no talk. Well I finally got my RV and I am going to go over today and start cleaning it up and getting it connected and set up and I wanted any advice you could give me connecting the sewage that electricity what should I turn on and what should I not turn on to run the battery down if I'm connected how do I make sure my battery is not connected I have all kinds of questions so if you guys can give me any recommendations that would be great. I want to be sure that my thermostat works properly cuz I have a cat so when I'm at work I want to make sure that it's not too hot for her. thanks
You really need someone to go with you since most MH are configured differently.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:04 PM   #3

Quote:
I am going to go over today and start cleaning it up and getting it connected and set up and I wanted any advice you could give me connecting the sewage that electricity what should I turn on and what should I not turn
If you are connected to shore power then you really have no need to be concerned about the batteries. You should have plenty of power to use pretty much everything in the RV. The sewer connection will be on the driver's side, probably near the rear and look something like this.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:24 PM   #4

The way i read your post it sounds like you are making a long-term/ permanent set-up. This makes a difference in how some things are accomplished
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:37 AM   #5

I am on my own. Any suggestions?
Old 06-20-2021, 02:42 AM   #6

It's unknown how long. I'm told the longest I can stay is 7 months. Then I have to move for two weeks then I can return. This is new to me. With the rents being so high where I live and Covid-19, it's my new permanent home for me and Peanut (my cat). I'm trying to be positive. I'm on my own with this for I need to be self sufficient. Any help would be appreciated ☺️
Old 06-20-2021, 02:44 AM   #7

What should be turned on or off? And where is the best place to get new blinds?
Old 06-20-2021, 05:52 AM   #8

Quote:
What should be turned on or off? And where is the best place to get new blinds?
Not sure exactly what you're asking, but best practice would be to have everything in the coach in the off position when plugging in, then you can turn on whatever you want. Search you tube for answers on your sewer connection. Don't leave your black tank valve open all the time. Good luck
Old 06-20-2021, 06:09 AM   #9

There are numerous books for beginner RV owners available on Amazon. Probably several at your local library too.

I suggest you start there then come back here with specific questions. Your question is way too general to be answered on a web forum. It's kind of like asking "how do you fly a commercial jet?"

You won't get much useful information with general questions and there are many aspects that are inter dependent. For instance what kind of battery charging system you have impacts any questions regarding battery charging.

A lot of new RV owners think you just hook up a water hose, shore cord, sewer hose and you're good to go. Unfortunately it's just not that simple.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:16 AM   #10

A Lot to Learn

I agree. You have a lot to learn. There are many different configurations for RV's. You must learn how yours is configured. You may get confusing advice because there are many different configurations.

Water
The picture posted above says a lot. Get started hooking up like the picture. Yours will be similar, but maybe not identical. This will be good until you encounter freezing temperatures. You can leave the fresh water holding tank empty. Water will be supplied through the "City Water" connection.

There will be a garden hose like connector marked "City Water". There will possibly be an identical fitting marked "Black Tank Flush". Do not connect the shore water line to the "flush" fitting. If you do, the black tank will fill and overflow some where.

Good advice above on closing dump valves. Learn how to flush the black tank soon. Search for "How to dump RV tanks". There are many different methods. Don't let that confuse you. Ask specific questions here on iRV2 if you need help.

You will need a separate hose to flush the black tank and dump hoses. It should not be white in color so you can easily tell the two hoses apart. Keep the white potable water hose separate and away from all dump hoses and fittings.

Gas
Open the gas valves on the propane tanks. Operate the valves slowly. Opening them fast may cause the safety valve inside to shut down the flow for a while. Check for gas working properly by lighting the cook top burners for a minute.

Electrical
Most switches should be turned "on" at least to start with.
Caution:
Don't turn the electric water heater on unless you are certain it is full of water. It will only take a moment to melt the heating element if not covered in water.
Water pump switch should be "off" when on-board water tank is empty. It will wear out fast if run dry.

You have two electric power systems. One is the "shore power". It may be 30 amp 120 volts, or it may be 50 amps 240 volts. The other system is the 12 volt system.

Shore power provides power for:
Air Conditioner
Water Heater
Electric Outlets
Battery Charger
Microwave Oven
If you have a 30 amp 120 volt system, a circuit breaker may trip if you try to operate too many of these devices at the same time. Just turn something "off" and reset the breaker.

12 volt system runs using shore power running the the on-board converter/charger or from the on-board batteries:
Lights
Water heater and furnace controls
Air Conditioner controls (possibly)
Water pump when not using "City Water"
Exhaust fans
Propane leak detector

There may be a battery disconnect switch near the battery and/or a switch near the entry door. The one near the door will turn power "off" to most, but not all 12 volt devices. Leave it "on" when unit is occupied.

Use the switch near the battery to totally disconnect for storage.

I presume you want to preserve the battery bank even though you don't want to use it.

Store lead acid batteries fully charged. This means 14 to 18 hours charging using the on-board converter/charger. Re-charge before voltage on the battery terminals drops to 12.4 volts. Get a digital volt meter from your local hardware store. It may cost $15.

You can store lead acid batteries disconnected for 6 months when they are in good condition. Check battery voltage periodically and do a full recharge before voltage drops below 12.4 volts.

Check voltage frequently to start with. Decrease frequency of checking later. You will get to know how long it takes to self discharge.

Check water level in flooded cell batteries and fill to full mark AFTER charging. They may overflow if you fill before charging.

Plates must be covered while charging. Look through fill holes. You should see water (acid) inside. Add enough to cover the plates and then charge.

Alternatively, you can store lead acid batteries connected to the on-board converter/charger. Monitor water level if you have flooded cell batteries. Check frequently to start with. Decrease frequency after you get to know how often the batteries need filling.

Some battery designs are sealed. This type does not need water level to be filled or monitored. They still need monitoring for voltage when disconnected.

Google search is your friend. Search for instruction on how to manage your new home. iRV.com is an excellent source for answers to specific questions.

Make and model of your RV, and make and model of each appliance are required for best answers to questions about them. Spend a little time collecting them for future questions. You may get a set of appliance manuals for your systems. Keep them handy. They are probably available on-line as well. I have down loaded them for all my appliances.

Most RV parks and camp grounds have friendly neighbors. Make friends and ask for advice. Some of us love to show off our knowledge.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:07 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We leave our MH connected to shore power when we're not traveling. I set the A/C on 80 degrees and the heat on 50 degrees. We leave the fridge off until a couple of days before leaving on a trip. I never turn off the battery disconnect switches unless I'm working on something. Our house batteries are not maintenance-free so I check the water levels once a month. Works for us!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #12

I wish I knew what's what. I have to learn ��. Thank you so much.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:04 PM   #13

Wow you rock! Thank you!
Old 06-20-2021, 04:18 PM   #14

If not mentioned and if equip ped ... get leveled for LP electric absorption fridge. It doesn't have to be perfect but comfortable to walk around. Check Menards some have RV isle as cheap as you can find for what the have there like good sewer hoses ect.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote