Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #15

I worked out of Atlanta for 12 years and know The South intimately. Every place has its plus' and minus'. If you're going to move south, move to places that are distinctly different from where you are--in a better way.

Right now, I'm camping in the North Georgia Mountains in my fifth wheel. And I was out tonight just before dark, and was thinking how absolutely beautiful this mountainous region is--25 miles south of the NC/GA border. Land is plentiful, and so are lakes and really nice communities. I really like the Hiawassee/Blairsville area with Lake Chatuge and Nottley Lake--as well as the incredibly plush Lake Burton.

Western North Carolina also has some incredibly beautiful scenery (Smoky Mountains) and cities, as does the far northwest South Carolina. Those states are a little more expensive to live in, however, with property taxes and ad valorem taxes on toys.

I'm also a big fan of Tennessee from Crossville east to Knoxville and up to Bristol, VA. Again, the land is beautiful, and very affordable. Tennessee is especially attractive with a lack of state income taxes (for the most part.) The best thing about upper East TN is the quality of the cities and the people that live there--being different.

We chose to move to Northwest Alabama because of the ultra low cost of living--housing, land and property taxes. Sales taxes on RVs, boats and cars are only 2.5%. The Tennessee River is in my front yard, and it's the premier 650 miles of navigable water in the U.S. Since my wife is disabled, we don't even have any property taxes.

There are another dozen or more places in the South that I could talk about, but I'll stop there. I prefer medium size towns within an hour of larger cities to live in--for healthcare, culture, etc. And if they have a university, it's even better.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2018, 08:00 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolracer2 View Post
Yea we've discussed this. There's not really a happy-medium place that isnt crazy hot but doesnt snow or freeze. NC is a little better than VA, which is a little better than MD. And SC/GA is a little better than NC.

So geographically, I was thinking northern FLA. But it seems there's not many up & coming nice cities in N.FL. It seems all retirement communities or Jacksonville. Both a no go.

It would be cool to be in Northern FLA because FLA in general has pretty reasonable laws/regulations/taxes, etc. St. Pete area is cool but I wish there was an area like that in the Northern FLA area.
We were looking for the ideal place but finding it doesn't exist. Seems there is so much more than weather to consider. Someone responded regarding church vs. bars. That's one part of the social/cultural aspect. There is also political attitude.

Tallahassee area is is most populated in northern Florida if you're ruling out Jacksonville.

Good luck.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #17

After much discussion, and full timing for over 6yrs., we decided on Conway, SC. Cost of living very reasonable, they don't tax investment income, and the property tax is nowhere near what we paid when we lived in Md.. Other benefits are they're senior friendly if you're a home owner. They have a homestead law that really lowers your homes property tax. A couple real hot months in summer, a couple chilly ones in winter, but the rest of them are great. We've been through two hurricanes without getting a scratch, didn't even lose electric. We're happy with our decision.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
After much discussion, and full timing for over 6yrs., we decided on Conway, SC. Cost of living very reasonable, they don't tax investment income, and the property tax is nowhere near what we paid when we lived in Md.. Other benefits are they're senior friendly if you're a home owner. They have a homestead law that really lowers your homes property tax. A couple real hot months in summer, a couple chilly ones in winter, but the rest of them are great. We've been through two hurricanes without getting a scratch, didn't even lose electric. We're happy with our decision.
Thanks for the response. Where were you guys in MD?
repsolracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Where were you guys in MD?
Southern Md., La Plata/Waldorf areas before we went full time.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:37 AM   #20

I've lived in TN for most all of my life. If you're planning to move to this latitude, which is about the same as NC, to escape the winter and freezing temperatures, you will be very disappointed.

I live on Old Hickory lake near Nashville and about every winter our marina freezes hard enough to walk from dock to dock on the ice at least once a year.

That's why we go south for the winter. We figured out many years ago that to avoid excessive heat and cold you need two places to live. We've never been able to find a place that's good all year.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #21

The only place that has perfect weather all year long is San Diego, CA. (avg 72 degrees all year). We have owned a home in the California Desert (140 miles from SD) for 30 yrs. and the 118 degree summers are 'warm'. Our main home in TN is hot in the summer too with all the humidity. I would rather be in 118 in CA with 10% humidity than 98 in TN with 100%.

The only issues in California are waiting for the 'big one' (earthquake) to hit but I would rather live in earthquake country than tornado country. At least in a severe earthquake, your stuff is not strewn all over and wet.

The downside to California is that EVERYTHING is more expensive (fuel, electricity, water, food, taxes, etc.). I did have solar put on the house in March of '17 so we haven't had an electric bill since then. It will take about 7yrs. to break even then it's pure gravy afterwards! The 30% tax deduction from the cost was a nice plus too.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:36 AM   #22

I agree about San Diego. Being a native San Diegan I've wished many times I could go back. Besides what you mentioned about EVERYTHING being expensive, the politics of Ca. in general have made sure I'll never be back. Sad really, as it was a great place to be raised. But I just don't recognize the place of my birth anymore.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
If you're planning to move to this latitude, which is about the same as NC, to escape the winter and freezing temperatures, you will be very disappointed.

That's why we go south for the winter. We figured out many years ago that to avoid excessive heat and cold you need two places to live.
Makes sense. I thought that as well. That’s why it made sense to get an RV for us. Maybe just stay put and then just RV more
Old 10-22-2018, 02:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
T
The only issues in California are waiting for the 'big one' (earthquake) to hit but I would rather live in earthquake country than tornado country. At least in a severe earthquake, your stuff is not strewn all over and wet.
I've heard this before and always get a chuckle out of it. I've lived in TN for almost 70 years and have never been in or even seen or heard a tornado. I worry about it as much as I worry about being hit by a meteor. And we have no income tax, 7% sales tax, property tax on a $300K lake front house is $620/year (CA probably doesn't even have $300K lake front houses) and I can tear the silly California warning labels off the stuff I buy. Oh yeah, and electricity is around 7 cents a KWH.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:30 PM   #25

Hohenwald, I hear ya!

I'm not far behind you, I've lived in TN for 60 yrs!

NW TN had an earthquake this morning near Dyersburg, TN. I, too, have never been in a tornado in West TN but we have had them. In 2003, hurricane Elvis came through (straight-line winds) and devastated a lot of our big oak trees. We were lucky with no damage.

California is not for everybody, it's crowded enough! LOL! But, I love the weather! We'll be heading out soon for the winter! You just can't find a lake home in the desert!

Surprisingly, our home city/county taxes are about the same in CA and TN. California has proposition 13 that slows the tax rate increases.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:12 AM   #26

anyone have any experience with northern FLA around Tallahassee area? I do prefer a lot of the laws and tax structure in Florida. Plus there's no extra license requirement for having a big RV

Im looking for at least 10acres high & dry with some woods and privacy. But within 20 min or so of walmart, target, etc.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #27

Quote:
anyone have any experience with northern FLA around Tallahassee area? I do prefer a lot of the laws and tax structure in Florida. Plus there's no extra license requirement for having a big RV

Im looking for at least 10acres high & dry with some woods and privacy. But within 20 min or so of walmart, target, etc.
East and west of Tallahassee, north of I-10 there is plenty of undeveloped land. You're right about the income taxes in Florida being favorable, but homeowners insurance, property taxes and car insurance can be pretty tough in many places.

The panhandle is not nearly as warm as South Florida in Winter. Those looking for the warm winters will want to be south of Orlando.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #28

It's all relative. It may be cold in north Florida but it's a lot less cold than New England or the upper mid west for two examples.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote