Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2020, 09:38 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Moving Tire Stems on 22.5" RV Tires

Can I safely loosen the valve stem nut enough to move the stem to a better location for testing, airing and placing a TPMS, then tightening it back up and re-airing the tires to recommended PSI?

There is no way for me to place a TPMS on my outside dully as the stem goes back into the space between the tires. IF I could get between the tires to place a TPMS on these tires they could easily be damaged or torn off by road debris.

My tire shop tech aid they have to break the tire down and replace the stems placing them in the position I want them to be in.

HISTORY: I had a flat dully on a previous MH. Roadside tire truck arrived, removed the tire and the told me the problem was the stem was loose and had allowed the air to escape. He simply positioned it the way I wanted it and tightened down. He aired it up and I never had another problem with that tire. SOooooo, it seems it can be done.

Do I need to have the tire shop breakdown the tires, remove old stems and put on new ones with my new E-Z Beads Stainless Steel Bead Valve Cores or reposition the current valve stem?

Thanks in advance for your help - Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After you do it spray the stem base with a soap and water mixture to make sure it’s not leaking air.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:38 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with John. There shouldn't be a problem with re-positioning the stem!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The preferred method is to break down the tire so the nuts that hold the valve in place can be properly loosened and re-tightened. For the tire shop, who could be held liable for a improperly installed valve that resulted in a tire failure, that's pretty much the only way they are going to do the job.

Sometimes the valve nut can be loosened enough to turn the valve without dismounting, taking a [probably small] risk that the valve will leak after. However, you already said you were unable to do that. If that's the case, dismounting the tire is necessary as well as the preferred method.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:09 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have the TST non-flow thru sensors. I removed the "theft lock" by just removing the 4 screws holding the cap. This makes it much easier to put the sensor on.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:21 AM   #6

….I am not a big fan of valve extensions but found some 180 degree extensions that fit the situation and allowed me to install the TST sensors....also agree with removing the "security" caps on the non-flow-through sensors....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Appreciate everyone's response. I ordered the E-Z stainless steel valve cores. I looked at the stems again measuring the distance and think the stem will just barely clear the Freightliner opening. I'm going to wait till I get the new valve cores before attempting the process. Thanks for the water and soap reminder. Will be testing afterwards.

I read somewhere on the numerous post we have on iRV2 about someone installing Dully valve stems that did not require an extender. I haven't been able to find any yet online. My Tire shop guys tell me there is no such thing. My brother who has Freightliner to pull his toy hauler aid he bought 12" straight ones and had them bent.

If anyone knows where I can purchase these I would appreciate the information.

Thanks again everyone - Richard
Old 11-23-2020, 06:10 AM   #8
mff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Appreciate everyone's response. I ordered the E-Z stainless steel valve cores. I looked at the stems again measuring the distance and think the stem will just barely clear the Freightliner opening. I'm going to wait till I get the new valve cores before attempting the process. Thanks for the water and soap reminder. Will be testing afterwards.

I read somewhere on the numerous post we have on iRV2 about someone installing Dully valve stems that did not require an extender. I haven't been able to find any yet online. My Tire shop guys tell me there is no such thing. My brother who has Freightliner to pull his toy hauler aid he bought 12" straight ones and had them bent.

If anyone knows where I can purchase these I would appreciate the information.

Thanks again everyone - Richard
Shiny wheels and rv
mff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, tires