Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #57
CD

Something I haven't seen in this thread yet is the effect of a moving load.I think we can assume the 2 front seats had belts and probably were used. That leaves at least 11 people we don't know. Let's assume 8 people didn't have belts on (4 on each side).The RV swerves to the R when tire blows. 4 people are thrown to the L. The driver corrects hard to the L and 8 people are thrown to the R. Assuming the people average 200 lbs, that is 1400 lbs hitting the R side. Can the driver control this?
I have driven truck hauling cattle and if they are not squeesed in tight, it can be fun on the corners. I have also driven Fire Dept tankers that hauled 3K gals of water. You learn to drive very careful with 1/2 tank.
My only point to this is for people driving MHs to consider having everyone buckled up while moving. Like someone mentioned, it is hard to tell adults to buckle up but you can say nothing moves until it's all buckled up.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes View Post
I see where they were returning from the Superdome, after a football game. With that many people, it sounds like a rented rolling party!

Tailgating, drinking and too many distractions for the driver.

I would be interested in knowing if the brakes had been applied prior to impact, the experience the driver had at operating this vehicle, and of course any open alcoholic containers found at the scene.

I have investigated fatal crashes for over 20 years, and common sense will always point to the contributing factors.

Partying is fine, however, you just have to know when to leave it parked!
Applying the brakes too soon or too hard after a blowout is a sure way to wreck it. See the Michelin film.

The article stated he was a bus drive by occupation.

Open containers in a motorhome is a moot question. It is perfectly legal to have open containers in your motorhome even while moving. The only question to be asked concerning alcohol is had the driver been drinking.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #59

elkhartjim, if I were one of the victims or family of the deceased I would welcome all the speculation there is to help make certain that something like this never happened again.

As I said, speculation is a good thing-and just after any accident everyone is pretty much uninformed.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #60

Talk about nothing to do !
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #61

gary, and your point would be?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #62

If you Google I59 rv crash you should get info from rv examiner which has statements from the Highway Patrol identifying the chasis as a Freightliner and some more depressing info: one of the deceased was disabled from an accident in '95, and the owner is a retired NFL player.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Five Minnesotans killed in Kansas motor home crash

18 people on board and driver loses control..... I think I see a pattern here.

Can't tell from the photo's, but it looks like this was a big Class C hauler pulling a triple axle trailer like you see at the races.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #64

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Bill, I can't imagine 18 souls on board!

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #65

This is the type of accident that makes you ask what that many people were doing in that vehicle.
Not judging, just as a person who spent time as a first responder and ambulance captain, people do enough things wrong in a moving vehicle, guilty, without having to many people in the vehicle. That is for all vehicles, we had arrived at a mini van roll over with 12 occupants, and it was fatal for a young boy that did not have a seat to be buckled into.
If you look at the picture, the only thing from the camper that is sort of intact is the cab.
Peace for the family.

Tags
motorhome