Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2011, 06:32 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Multiple use TPMS?

Hi, All -

Been reading many previous posts on tire pressure monitoring systems. Most seem to debate one brand over the other, which is helpful so that I at least have some brand names to research. However, as someone who has no experience with these things, I'm still confused..

I'd like ONE TPMS that is not horribly expensive, easy to use, measures pressure and temperature, and won't cause the tires to leak. Is it possible to get a single unit that can be used with:

1) Current truck and travel trailer
2) Current truck and basic open/flatbed type snowmobile trailer (2 small wheels)
3) Future motorhome and toad

Or, would I need to purchase different types for all our uses....

Thanks, in advance, for any help and education you can provide!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
The significant factors would be the range of measurment and the number of tires it can read; you would need one that reads a range from about 20 to a 120 lbs and up to about 20 tires unless you intend to switch them from vehicle to vehicle.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
you would need one that reads a range from about 20 to a 120 lbs and up to about 20 tires unless you intend to switch them from vehicle to vehicle.
120psi wouldn't get it done - If 110 is normal COLD, it will be 125-130 hot. Our TPMS sells "auto" systems that measure up to 70 or 80 psi (don't quote me) and "truck" systems that go up to 160-175'ish. Transmitters may be moved from one vehicle to another with reprogramming which isn't that big a deal.
The higher psi units do work at lower psi so get that system (very little additional $$$). We also highly suggest a system that YOU can replace batteries.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suspect the bottom line is NO... There are basically 3 types of TMPS systems.

1: Factory installed (Cars and light trucks) these are not compatible even, in many cases, across model lines of the same make.

Inside the tire systems (Smart tire) Which require you to dismount the tire and re-mount it to re-install, or to change batteries in the transmitter. Won't fit on low-profile tire vehicles

Screw on the stem types.. These, will, sooner or later, leak. I suspect there is no way around that either.. though they could make a few design changes that would improve their leak resistance but these would make them harder to install and remove.

They do have the advantage however of being transferable vechicle to vehicle, As easy as airing up the tires.. and they do work.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I would think that most any TPMS that uses sensors that screw on the valve stems would work fine in the three environments mentioned. My PressurePro system handles a wide range of tire pressures on cars, trucks, trailers and motorhomes. I have personally observed measurements ranging from 15-20 psi to 130+, which would seem to handle the three applications mentioned.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Inside the tire systems (Smart tire) Which require you to dismount the tire and re-mount it to re-install, or to change batteries in the transmitter. Won't fit on low-profile tire vehicles.
As part of my research on TPMS's, I emailed the SmarTire company via their website (SmarTire Systems) a few weeks ago inquiring about their product for RV and towed car use. At that time, their website indicated their product was available for both RV's and towed cars. The reply was:

Unfortunately SmarTire products are no longer available in the passenger car, light truck, recreational vehicle or motorcycle markets and the company has ceased support for these product categories. Parts may be available via your vehicle manufacturer or at the dealer where you purchased your system. Bendix holds no inventory to support service parts.

Their web site has since been updated to reflect not supporting towed cars but still has information on RV's. So, it looks like the screw on sensor systems are what's left, unless they've reversed their position on RV's. At the same time, to me, monitoring the tires on the toad is as important as monitoring the motorhome. So, I'm still back to the screw on sensor type as the only viable alternative.

Wayne
Old 01-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #7

I have the Hawkshead system for my motorhome and toad. When I am towing the boat I move two sensors from my toad to the boat. It does require re-programming the system, which can be a bother, but as far as moving the sensors there is no problem.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #8

You might get a response from one of the registered vendors on our vendors forum listed below this general discussion forum.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I suspect the bottom line is NO... There are basically 3 types of TMPS systems.

Screw on the stem types.. These, will, sooner or later, leak. I suspect there is no way around that either.. though they could make a few design changes that would improve their leak resistance but these would make them harder to install and remove.

They do have the advantage however of being transferable vechicle to vehicle, As easy as airing up the tires.. and they do work.

I have used Pressure Pro on two different Motorhomes for 70,000 miles and NEVER had a leak. It can be moved from vehicle to vehicle with ease, although it does not have a temperature warning, it will warn you and show you which tire is starting to lose air. It has a very simple and useful display. I does not have replaceble batteries although I understand that Camping World sells a sending unit with repaceable batteries that can be used with the Pressure Pro.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:53 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Thanks to all for the helpful advice and real world experience! Much appreciated!!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #11

If you weren't already aware there is a used pressure pro system in the classifieds Member Profile - RV & Motorhome Classifieds
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote