Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Murphy Bed

I am curious about the wear and tear on chair or dinette fabric or leather when a Murphy Bed sits on it for a few years worth of camping. Has anyone had any experience with this and if so, what if any damage did you experience? Also, does the bed remain level with use over time, or does the foot of the be tend to sag lower than the head?
Mr John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
A Murphy Bed does NOT sit on a chair nor would it have any affect on leather, fabric or the dinette because the Murphy Bed lifts up into the wall and is hidden there until it is brought down for use as a bed.

Not sure where you got your information from but you are way off base.

Maybe you are trying to explain a circumstance for some other piece of furniture.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Maybe you are trying to explain a circumstance for some other piece of furniture.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

X2 ... do you have a picture of the bed you are talking about?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:08 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am not way off base on the Murphy Bed sitting on the dinette or chairs.
If you look at the EEE Regency GT24MB, you will find that the bed comes out of the wall and lays on the chairs or dinette. The same way with the Leisure Travel Van, Murphy Bed.

John
Mr John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
EEE Regency GT24MB Murphy Bed

Well,you're right. They DO call that a Murphy Bed, but it's one of the more unusual ones I've ever seen. My Outlaw has a Murphy Bed, but it is the more traditional style that folds down onto legs that fold out of the frame itself. With mine I've seen no sag, no wear, and no mechanical issues in daily (well. almost daily) use after three years.

I can't predict how the one you're asking about will stand up over time. But, guessing, I would suspect it depends on how well the foundation (the seating area) is connected to the floor, and wear would depend in large part on the quality of the material and if you use a cover or something to protect it while the bed is down (such as a sheet or something).

Either way, good luck.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
OK, now that you have identified EXACTLY what you have for a Murphy Bed which you could have done in your first post, your question is a logical one.

Based on their design, I wouldn't worry too much about the table, but the cushions may experience some compression from the bed. However, like most RV cushions, all of them will sag after years of use anyhow.

BTW, that's not your "normal" Murphy Bed even though the manufacture calls it such.

The Gulfstream Tour Master Constellation had a true Murphy Bed as does some high end custom coaches also.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr John View Post
I am curious about the wear and tear on chair or dinette fabric or leather when a Murphy Bed sits on it for a few years worth of camping. Has anyone had any experience with this and if so, what if any damage did you experience? Also, does the bed remain level with use over time, or does the foot of the be tend to sag lower than the head?
That RV is a very nice looking rig!

We have a murphy bed in the studs and stucco home and can tell you that it WILL imprint on ANYTHING that is under the bed deck. And, like in the RV's dinette, with materials like fabric, ultra suede or similar, the imprint could also damage/weaken/tear the fabric at any sharp edge or seem.

After watching the video posted above, I would strongly suggest that you remove and stow the seat pads if using the murphy bed for any extended periods.

And, if the bed lays off center with the pads removed or sags at the head or foot, then I would use a block of wood or similar wedge to transfer the weigh off the wall and into the dinette box and into the floor.

Whatever is the the murphy bed frame's design - get the weight to go to the floor as best you can. If you don't the frame and hinge set-up might take on the sag permanently.

Murphy beds are awesome! More RV makers should consider using them...but that is just my opinion.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
I looked at a picture of the bed and would guess that over time it will wear, but likely no faster than the front seats or any other materials that wear over a time....well maybe a little faster but not overnight....Really a thoughtful design to maximize space.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Our Monaco Safari Trek has a bed that is in the ceiling of the living room when not being used. It comes down on a track for sleeping at night. The key difference with the Murphy bed concept shown in the Regency GT24 is that we have the natural light from the windows in the living room. We get the living space of a 38' coach in a 24 or 29' package. Sure works for us.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote