Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2021, 05:50 PM   #1

Murphy beds...Good and Bad...

Looking at TT's with murphy beds. Reasoning is I get more living area out of a smaller TT without having to buy a larger TT to get the same amount of living area because of the space being taken up by a separate bedroom.
Anyway...what are the pros and cons? As an example...do they sleep well or are they basically uncomfortable?
Thanks guys!!!
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2021, 06:00 PM   #2

I think they make sense if you're a single RVer; not so if there's more than one of you. That would mean the same bedtime and wakeup for both of you.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I think they make sense if you're a single RVer; not so if there's more than one of you. That would mean the same bedtime and wakeup for both of you.
Nah, if there is a second seating area you'll be fine if the other person can handle the light/noise. Even if a larger trailer had a separate nearby/adjacent bedroom its not like these trailers are very sound proof. Many trailers with a murphy bed have a curtain to at least help with light pollution.

If you are considering a smaller trailer with a fixed bed and only a dinette or theater seating/couch realize that those are the only seating options. I like being able to change up where I am sitting with the murphy bed up. But I do travel solo so I really can't comment on multiple persons
Old 07-23-2021, 06:45 AM   #4

Any comment about the comfort of a Murphy Bed vs a "normal" TT bed?
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Any comment about the comfort of a Murphy Bed vs a "normal" TT bed?
RV mattresses generally suck from factory no matter if they are used on a murphy bed or not.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:08 PM   #6

Everyone's idea of 'comfortable' is different. You'll need to test them. I don't know if you could replace a mattress with a heavy, sturdier one... depends on the bed construction and the method of elevating it. Might be a weight limit, also.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:29 PM   #7

The concern I would have with a Murphy bed is that any replacement mattress has to be sized such that Murphy bed can close. You would want to find out what the maximum height of the mattress can be, and if you can get a mattress to meet your comfort level that will fit.

We looked at one Jayco trailer years ago that had a Murphy bed, and the design of the bed installation eliminated some storage area and that particular model was really deficient in storage compartments.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:16 AM   #8

We have a murphy bed over the couch. The size is good, but a little hard. We put a thin air mattress over it (2 minute inflation) and leave it in place when we put the bed away. It works very well for us.
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Everyone's idea of 'comfortable' is different. You'll need to test them. I don't know if you could replace a mattress with a heavy, sturdier one... depends on the bed construction and the method of elevating it. Might be a weight limit, also.
When I was younger I could sleep on the ground under a helicopter but my sleeping needs are different now. Comfort is relative and only something the individual can define. If you sit on the edge go the bed and your butt bottoms out on the platform, you can be reasonably assured that it will be uncomfortable for a normal sleep.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:20 PM   #10

If you would need a more comfortable mattress there are companies that make mattresses especially for you and your dimentions.

Do a Google and you'll find them. Here is one:

https://custommattressmakers.com/pages/rv-mattress