Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2021, 05:58 AM   #1

My new Garmin 1090 is confused.

My new Garmin 1090 is confused. I have the Drive app on my phone, and I may have to quit using the app.

Yesterday we were headed home, we stopped at the Petro near I-40 and I-35 in OKC to fill up and then head to Texas on 35.

As we got to the south end of the OKC metro area the 1090 went off saying I-35 was closed and it was rerouting me. The new route had me going to I-44 and down to Lawton and Wichita Falls, a roughly 50-mile increase in our trip.

My wife looked at Google Maps on her tablet and there was no sign any of 35 was closed. I said there is no way they would close 35 so we just kept heading south.

Here is what was happening, near Purcell and then Pauls Valley they were doing bridge and road repair and had closed the south bound side of the road and diverted it to one lane of north bound 35. One lane heading north one lane headed south. So, it was kind of correct but in reality, not at all.

My 780 never did this, but this is the third time the 1090 has done this.
BTW it is up to date. Frustrating
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2021, 06:06 AM   #2

Since all Garmin products use the same software according to TechnoRV, I'm not thinking this is a device issue but maybe a software issue or possibly an information issue. I don't know, but I might investigate further before I throw the 1090 away. But if you feel the need to throw it out let me give you my address, heck I'll even pay postage.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:10 AM   #3

I use a Gamin on my motorcycle. I'll set the road preferences, then get an update and it messes up all my settings. I've gotten to where I use it mostly to see what is immediately coming up and I don't really use it much for navigation. I'll look up where I'm going and have a route already planned on paper. Another annoying new thing they are doing with it, is it won't show any roads in a new area until I've actually ridden into that are, then the roads will populate. This makes it just about completely impossible for me to set a far away destination. They do have the Garmin Base Camp application that lets you pre plan a trip and upload it into any Garmin, but it's kinda clunky and isn't that user friendly. I'd like them to do more with this app but I don't think many people are using it.

On a trip this past weekend, it tried to tell me to go left out of a parking lot in the wrong direction of a 1 way busy service road on I 45. Unfortunately there are people that would have followed this instruction and caused a major wreck and gotten hurt.

Best thing to do is always pre plan your trip and not fully rely on it.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:14 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Occasionally my RV760 will do the same thing so it's not unique to the 1090. I'm wondering if the traffic monitor system is reporting the lane closures and the Garmin software interprets it as a road closure. It's probably worth reporting the issue to Garmin.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:19 AM   #5

I don't sync my phone with mine. That way it won't give me updates and try to do even more oddball stuff. I have a regular Garmin in my truck too. It's a few years old and actually works very well.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Occasionally my RV760 will do the same thing so it's not unique to the 1090. I'm wondering if the traffic monitor system is reporting the lane closures and the Garmin software interprets it as a road closure. It's probably worth reporting the issue to Garmin.

I agree that the lane closure is being misinterpreted as a road closure.

I think I'll delete the Bluetooth connection in the Garmin to the phone before my next trip.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:35 AM   #7

For navigation, I get much better results with plain ole google maps. When I'm getting close and need better details, I'll use that.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
I use a Gamin on my motorcycle. I'll set the road preferences, then get an update and it messes up all my settings. I've gotten to where I use it mostly to see what is immediately coming up and I don't really use it much for navigation. I'll look up where I'm going and have a route already planned on paper. Another annoying new thing they are doing with it, is it won't show any roads in a new area until I've actually ridden into that are, then the roads will populate. This makes it just about completely impossible for me to set a far away destination. They do have the Garmin Base Camp application that lets you pre plan a trip and upload it into any Garmin, but it's kinda clunky and isn't that user friendly. I'd like them to do more with this app but I don't think many people are using it.

On a trip this past weekend, it tried to tell me to go left out of a parking lot in the wrong direction of a 1 way busy service road on I 45. Unfortunately there are people that would have followed this instruction and caused a major wreck and gotten hurt.

Best thing to do is always pre plan your trip and not fully rely on it.

I have a Gamin Zumo for my motorcycle and use it in my truck when towing my TT. I use either Mapsource or Basecamp to plan my routes

I have it set for TRUCK mode wile towing to avoid side roads. It has tried to over ride my planned trip on many occasions. Even to a point that it wants me to take an off ramp, just to tell me to continue straight to the on ramp, or make a U turn to continue.
I always print out the directions I set on the computer, just in case.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:04 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We have had a few oddball issues with our Garmin as well. We use the Waze app a lot when we are going into larger cities just to check current road conditions, possible issues, or when we think Garmin is doing something odd. The good thing about Waze is that it is truly an up to the minute app and will show if traffic is slowed vs stopped, and also provide the best alternative. You have to be careful that the alternative is not side streets but in general, better alternatives.

An example for us was Saturday around 3pm. We were an hour south of Atlanta (hate Atlanta traffic) and there was a stoppage going through the middle of downtown. Waze showed 285 as a better route and no stoppage (red lines with speed of cars shown on the Waze app) so we planned to go around. The wife checked again when we were 10 miles south and the stoppage was gone in downtown so we went straight through with minimal issues.

I don't think there is one perfect setup. The best thing though is if we do get caught in a traffic issue, we have the kitchen, bathroom, might turn on a tv show, etc. RV time means no worries, no hurry.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:29 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I've got a Garmin 760. Before my last trip I updated everything.

Twice while going through large cities that had major construction the Garmin alerted but did not provide alternate round.

In Kansas City MO the highway just ended and the off ramp took me (and 3 semis) in to a residential area with narrow roads and low hanging branches. You could tell other trucks had already come through as there were branches laying all over the road, which was good for me. At one point the semi in front of me just stopped, after 5 minutes I decided to go around him, 2 other semi's followed me. Was able to find a route bypassing the construction but not easy.

Second time it was in OH, same thing, road closed, no suggested route, I just winged it, lost 1/2 hour.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse