Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
My nine year old rv tires

Well, we do not often use our fifth wheel, maybe two times a year a couple of hundred miles at most. We have never replaced the tires with exception to one flat. It sits a lot, we check the tires before every trip, but what do you think.There is little wear seen on them.

Thánks again gang.
kathyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #2

I think it is time to replace them. I have several friends with toy haulers who have had blowouts and done a lot of damage to the trailer and they had newer tires than you do. Trailer tires are not that expensive and it will be a lot more $ to fix the damage done once that tire comes apart on the highway.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #3

Of course, this question will bring out all sorts of opinions, on what you "should" do.

IMHO, you are going to do, what you have been doing. If you thought your tires were bad and may fail, you would be asking what type of replacement, you should be looking for.

I say, carry on. A good spare, jack and lug wrench, will serve you well.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:57 AM   #4

I think you're at the end of your tires' useful lifespan. The fact that you don't use them much makes it worse, not better. Tires that sit too long lose flexibility and fail sooner. All the tire companies warn that their tires should be replaced before they reach 10 years of age, regardless of condition.

I'd suggest that you replace them, but it's your 5er. If you're just going a few miles at a time, and the tires don't have time to get hot, you might be OK for a while. Just compare the cost of new tires to the amount of damage that they could do by failing, and go from there.

Good luck!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #5

RV trailer tires don't wear out; they age out. I believe 7 years is the maximum recommended time. I am replacing my spare just because it is 5 years old and is a Load Range D while the active tires are Load Range E.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The tire company will tell you 10 years is the usable life. Popular wisdom is that the risk of a blow-out gets unacceptably high after around 7 years, but "risk" is a subjective thing, as is our individual tolerance for it.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to conclude you should buy all new tires. Whether it is economic to do so, or how dangerous it may be if you do not, is something only you can decide. What will your wife say & do if you break down on the next trip, 100 miles from home? And maybe damage a fender well or some wiring underneath? Is it worth it?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #7

"Step Away From The Tires" Run don't walk......to your nearest tire store!

Happy Camping
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #8

If you have a flat on a tire over 7 years old the tire shop will not repair it (or legally shouldn't). When I got my TT the guy that gave us the PDI said you will never wear out a tire on a RV, they get too old before the tread is gone. At 9 years you are on borrowed time, don't risk the chance of major damage from a blowout.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #9

Your tires are good for short trips under 45mph.

Thats just around town and not on the interstate. Like mentioned above, you're betting on not spending money on repairing the damage that you may incur from a blow out.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #10

At nine years the tires might be fine, you might just have a flat, or you might have a blowout that could cause several thousand dollars in damage. The older the tire gets the greater the odds of tire failure of some kind.
I can't tell you what to do do. Everyone has there own level of risk in just about everything we do. I believe this is a case of cost vs risk that only you can make.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #11

Howdy!

I beleive tires are warranty for five years. Your luck is running out and you have got your monies worth out of the tires. I would replace them.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:46 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would order your tires on Ebay/Amazon, & remove the wheels, & have Walmart mount them. Keep the ones that you remove.& sell them for $20.00 each. I've done this several times. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieelk View Post
I would order your tires on Ebay/Amazon, & remove the wheels, & have Walmart mount them. Keep the ones that you remove.& sell them for $20.00 each. I've done this several times. Eddie Elk.
Really? You buy tires on fleabay then have to pay to have them mounted and balanced along with the hassle of taking all of them to get this done and then sell old unsafe tires to some unsuspecting person. Nice.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Really? You buy tires on fleabay then have to pay to have them mounted and balanced along with the hassle of taking all of them to get this done and then sell old unsafe tires to some unsuspecting person. Nice.
Some people buy the old tires for yard trailers or farm use.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires