Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #1

My own addition to service horror stories.

I've been waiting for this tale to play itself out before posting this.
I'm pleased that as of last Friday, all is well

So here we go:

We've had a growing list of things to take care of on our Pace Arrow. I've done most of the maintenance myself, but no longer have the room OR the time to do that, so my wife convinced me to take the coach over to a certain nationwide chain with our "gig" list...so we did.

1) My sliding double doors into the bedroom weren't closing properly. At the end of travel, they would bind.
2) A few years ago, while in Newfoundland, I broke a tooth on one of the 3 gear assemblies that open/close our 22' slide. DW mistakenly overlooked the vacuum cleaner head which was between the slide trim and the bedroom wall, which stopped the rear of the slide from fully opening, and broke a tooth on the gear.

I had already replaced the gear when we returned from the trip, but the slide was not quite lined up properly. From other users here, I learned that Power Gear has a "module" they plug in which allows for the proper adjustment. I called and discovered that out of the three "nationwide chain" locations, only the one in North Tampa had the tool, so that's where we went.
We met with our assigned "Service Adviser", and went over the list.
We got a call a few days later, asking us to come over, as there were some "issues". Oh boy.
We go back and meet with the senior service manager, who takes us out to the coach and explains the "problems" to us.
For the double sliding doors, he explains that the problem is a mis-aligned "Jack Stud" inside the bathroom wall, and that the bathroom wall will have to be "opened up" in order to fix the problem.
As for the slide adjustment, he explains that the problem is that because the slide didn't close completely on the rearmost edge, the roof of the slide is "collapsing" in the center, which is pulling the two sides of the slide IN towards the center. Picture a box, on its side, and pushing down on the top edge...this would pull in the two "ends" of the box.
What he's describing to us is quite impossible, given that the MIDDLE of the slide is supported by two wall panels on either side of the ref, that go floor to ceiling, so no way for it to "collapse". In addition to that little bit of physics, I stand up in the driver's seat where you can sight down the entire top of the slide. It's perfectly straight and even. I tell the service manager this, and he says "Yeah, it looks that way, doesn't it?"...with a bit of a sneer that even my DW picks up on.
He goes on to explain that there are 3 other Fleetwoods in his shop at that exact moment, all with the same problem, and that to fix it, you have to REMOVE THE ENTIRE SLIDE, repair the slide, and then reinstall the slide.

Total estimate for everything?
$16,000-$18,000.

We leave, WITH THE COACH. It's about an hour before I can open my mouth and speak rationally.

We take the coach back to storage. The next day, I grab my toolbox, go to the coach, and start on the doors. Turns out that one of the screws that holds the sliding door track to the ceiling has back out about a half turn, so the roller mechanism is hitting the screw head. Removed the offending screw, applied 2 toothpicks to the hole, reinserted the screw to the proper depth, and voila, the doors now close smoothly and completely, no bind what so ever.
Now I climb under the coach with every intention of working on the slide adjustment in a "manual" fashion, as has been discussed here on another thread, and I discover that the new gear now has a broken tooth on it too...which tells me that while trying to adjust my slide, they broke the gear. The slide has been in and out easily a hundred times since I replaced the gear, and as far as I know, the gear was fine when it arrived at their shop.

So...there's a local, family-owned dealer/service center much closer to me. I went off to talk with them, met with their service mgr, explained the history and what I believed was the proper approach, and he agreed.
1 week later, my gear has been replaced, the slide has been adjusted, and they installed the rear shocks that I had purchased from a memeber here.
Total cost of everything?

$1200.

Seriously. $1200.

The scenario that the "national chain" service mgr was describing was absolutely physically impossible. I truly feel sorry for the other 3 coaches that had "...the same exact problem" and were paying that much money to have them fixed.

Lesson learned...they'll never touch another piece of equipment that I own, period.
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ill bet those other three coaches don't exist. At best maybe they had one and perhaps that was the problem with that particular coach and these mental midgets decided it must be a cure all for all fleetwood products. Now, that is giving them the benefit of the doubt at best. The alternative is they flat out were trying to hit their service numbers for the month.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Call them out. What location?
Old 05-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #4

Does the franchise happen to have a "W" and a "C" in the first letters of it's name?
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
Does the franchise happen to have a "W" and a "C" in the first letters of it's name?
Sure does.

Forgot to mention that they said I had a leaking brake line, so I authorized replacement, and had also asked them to change oil while they had it.

When I took it back, my ABS light is on non-stop, and they didn't bother resetting the oil change msg on the dash.

These two points were minor compared to the rest of the story, but goes to show they couldn't even do THAT right.
...but the whole experience was just impossible to fathom.
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
Commercial Member

good service centers are hard to find. when you find one, patronize it, recommend it to your friends, and do some word of mouth advertising for them.
this forum proves that if you find a good shop, you will tell 10 friends. when you are unhappy with one, you will tell anyone who will listen.
thats the way it works. be nice to those who are nice to you, and keep one hand on your wallet. if you are unfamiliar with your coach, and the problems discussed on these forums, you will pay thru the nose for many unneed repairs.
this is why i scan this forum every day. unhappy customers are a problem no one wants, not even cw.
i work for hwh, and anyone who has a problem with hwh is welcome to call me at 602-549-3638. i do diagnostics. i dont advertise parts sales. and as a rule do not sell parts,
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service