Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2018, 09:09 AM   #29

Mid Atlantic Campers
It would seem that no matter what anyone suggests; NADA, PPL or some other "reliable" source of known sell price, you got to believe selling price is always going to be a matter of speculation for the vast majority of sells. Sellers generally are not going to boast or crow about the price they got, they are going to count their money and move on. The buyer also is unlikely to be a reliable source of accurate information as they too have a self serving interest to not admit if they think they over paid. Lack of transparency is a fact of live in most human intercourse involving money, whether its buying a house or negotiating a raise. When it comes to professionals in sales, there really is a self serving interest to keep the truth out of the public domain. The more we talk here about money, the less leverage they have of what something can be had for. Power to the people!!
nightmission is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2018, 09:51 AM   #30

Another point regarding NADA. Their "base" price figure includes all standard equipment supplied by the manufacturer for that particular rig. If the unit came with a xKW generator from the factory and you click the box saying it has a xKW generator you are adding that item in for a second time. Sellers do that a lot and it jacks the NADA value up to a much higher level.

Here's the wording on the NADA price page -

"Option note: Only select options below that are in addition to standard equipment and equipment noted in the manufacturer or year notes show above. If you are uncertain of what came standard, please contact your manufacturer with your VIN."
Old 04-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #31

The older any vehicle is, the less relevance NADA has...... For one very simple reason, the difference in condition of older units has a much greater variance than newer, in most cases.

When it gets down to it, would you rather pay more than NADA for exactly what you want / really like, (and may actually be less money) in outstanding condition or pay less than NADA for a pos that you settle for, (that may even be more expensive), but can brag about your negotiation skills on the forum, and pay more for down the road when all is said and done and you find its really a money pit that you really you didn't really even like that much to begin with, but oh boy, "look at me, I got it below NADA" .

You'll be a lot happier, and and usually come out way ahead financially in the long run, to pay a bit more for what you want, than to settle for something you don't like just because it was "a bargain".......

Not to mention the value of your time spent looking.........

So to make it easy in this instance, is this the best thing you've seen and really really like for $47,000 and / or in your price range, or not? If it is, then maybe it's best you get it while you have it in sight, wether you pay $47k or not. Because if it's not, the reality is its not any better a coach at $40k than it is for $47k in the long run.

Btw, 1stMH - I thought you had bagged on the idea of another coach this year?
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Another point regarding NADA. Their "base" price figure includes all standard equipment supplied by the manufacturer for that particular rig. If the unit came with a xKW generator from the factory and you click the box saying it has a xKW generator you are adding that item in for a second time. Sellers do that a lot and it jacks the NADA value up to a much higher level.

Here's the wording on the NADA price page -

"Option note: Only select options below that are in addition to standard equipment and equipment noted in the manufacturer or year notes show above. If you are uncertain of what came standard, please contact your manufacturer with your VIN."
Hi,

The seller did not mention any options, I am awaiting on the Vin number so as to call Fleetwood for the build sheet. All awaits that.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
The older any vehicle is, the less relevance NADA has...... For one very simple reason, the difference in condition of older units has a much greater variance than newer, in most cases.

When it gets down to it, would you rather pay more than NADA for exactly what you want / really like, (and may actually be less money) in outstanding condition or pay less than NADA for a pos that you settle for, (that may even be more expensive), but can brag about your negotiation skills on the forum, and pay more for down the road when all is said and done and you find its really a money pit that you really you didn't really even like that much to begin with, but oh boy, "look at me, I got it below NADA" .

You'll be a lot happier, and and usually come out way ahead financially in the long run, to pay a bit more for what you want, than to settle for something you don't like just because it was "a bargain".......

Not to mention the value of your time spent looking.........

So to make it easy in this instance, is this the best thing you've seen and really really like for $47,000 and / or in your price range, or not? If it is, then maybe it's best you get it while you have it in sight, wether you pay $47k or not. Because if it's not, the reality is its not any better a coach at $40k than it is for $47k in the long run.

Btw, 1stMH - I thought you had bagged on the idea of another coach this year?
42k is all I reallly can afford as the credit union will only loan me the Nada average retail. Also I spoke to my insurance agent and they will only cover that is the Blue book or Nada value.

We were going to go for a 70k coach next year but decided to get a 40k coach instead, so can afford that now.

Once I get the Vin my insurance agent will check blue book for me.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #34

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
We were going to go for a 70k coach next year but decided to get a 40k coach instead, so can afford that now.
You know you can rent a coach in the short term, $150 -$300 a day seems to be the norm. If you truly are looking at one year than getting out, why not save the hassle, probably loss on the buy/sell on the inexpensive unit and save up for what you really want. As a bonus, if you rent several different HM's you may modify your thoughts on what you really want.
nightmission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmission View Post
You know you can rent a coach in the short term, $150 -$300 a day seems to be the norm. If you truly are looking at one year than getting out, why not save the hassle, probably loss on the buy/sell on the inexpensive unit and save up for what you really want. As a bonus, if you rent several different HM's you may modify your thoughts on what you really want.
Hi,

My apologies for confusion. If we bought a 40k coach we would be keeping it long term. We already have an entry level class A.

Cheers,
Old 04-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #36

I got the VIN and spoke to Fleetwood. They said it did not come with any optionsl extras except for Shale Stone Paint. They could not tell me if this was a chargeable extra.

I spoke with my insurance agent about total loss value and she said for 1st 6 months its what I paid and after thats its blue book value. She does not have access to the blue book but said its fairly close to Nada average retail.

The guy cannot meet for another week so hopefully will view it then.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:13 AM   #37

One thing is for sure. If any coach is a good deal, is priced right, is in excellent condition for the price, you can bet it wont be on the market long. With all the baby boomers jumping on the rv bandwagon, the prices have risen considerably, and availability has went down. If dealing with private sellers, its best to have the cash handy. A line of credit or similar will do as well. Most private sellers are of the first come with the cash, first served mindset. No one is going to wait around for someone to arrange financing, if the cash comes along. Too many weasels say they are interested, then never come up with the cash.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
One thing is for sure. If any coach is a good deal, is priced right, is in excellent condition for the price, you can bet it wont be on the market long. With all the baby boomers jumping on the rv bandwagon, the prices have risen considerably, and availability has went down. If dealing with private sellers, its best to have the cash handy. A line of credit or similar will do as well. Most private sellers are of the first come with the cash, first served mindset. No one is going to wait around for someone to arrange financing, if the cash comes along. Too many weasels say they are interested, then never come up with the cash.

I have been trying to view the coach since last qeek but between ice storms and both our schedules it will be another week. I have my loan approved
Old 04-18-2018, 09:35 AM   #39

Oh, it turns out my credit union adds mileage to the Nada Valuation. At 32,000 miles it brings it to 49k (9k extra).
Old 04-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I wouldnt expect your average rv buyer to have 10, 20, or 30,000 in cash to close a sale. I would not want the hassle of having to count cash either from a selling standpoint.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Oh, it turns out my credit union adds mileage to the Nada Valuation. At 32,000 miles it brings it to 49k (9k extra).
That is good news! I would still push for 42. Do not tell him you have been approved for more.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
That is good news! I would still push for 42. Do not tell him you have been approved for more.
For sure.

Tags
ada, advice