Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2019, 06:26 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
National Park Suggestions & Drives & Dive Ideas?

Soon we will be taking delivery of our new Motorhome and touring through the Natchez Trace Parkway. Over the many years of RVing, we have visited many state and National Parks.

What we would like to know is what NATIONAL Parks did you enjoy and why and would you return? Anything Special, History, scenic. Suggestions?

We enjoy Fishing, Turning, Good Drives, Dives and RV Parks along the way, IDEAS?. The same Information for Canada would be helpful. We have done most of the southern tear and the western USA. We have no problem seeing them again or what we may have missed the first road trip. I want to do another Horseback trip for 3 to 5-days Suggestions? I've done two already so not an issue. NOT into theme Parks.

FOR ANYONE THINKING AHEAD NO WE WON'T BE VISITING THEM THIS WINTER as we will be working on posted ideas and our overall plan of attack. Do you have one yet?
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 07:39 AM   #2

The entire Utah Big Five Circle route, each is unique in it's own right. Who needs skyscrapers in a big city to feel small when you can get a much better view at Zion or even Capital Reef. Add the red colors of Arches, the hoodoos of Bryce and the vast expanse on Canyonlands. Add in the Grand Canyon, both North and South Rim and you have a great trip in the month of May as it has moderate temperatures, though Bryce and the North Rim may be very cold and see a little snow. Along the way between them, there are also a lot of state parks, national monuments and other sights, can you say Monument Valley?
'12 Winnebago Via 25T, stock except: HWH Levelers, NovaKool RFU68000 12V Fridge,Group 31 AGM Coach Batteries, PM4 55A 55 Amp Converter, PI EMS-HW30C Surge Protector, Michelin Agilis CrossClimate Tires, TST Internal TPMS, Borg Stems, Sumo Springs
HISSSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:46 AM   #3

OP: It's really not difficult to pick a park, Google the national park website and get all the information you want. Every national park is special. That's why they're there! If you're near one then go. Here is your Natchez Trace read:

https://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Of all the National Parks we have visited the ones in Utah were the most beautiful, especially Bryce Canyon. I must have taken at least a thousand photos there!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HISSSSS View Post
The entire Utah Big Five Circle route, each is unique in it's own right. Who needs skyscrapers in a big city to feel small when you can get a much better view at Zion or even Capital Reef. Add the red colors of Arches, the hoodoos of Bryce and the vast expanse on Canyonlands. Add in the Grand Canyon, both North and South Rim and you have a great trip in the month of May as it has moderate temperatures, though Bryce and the North Rim may be very cold and see a little snow. Along the way between them, there are also a lot of state parks, national monuments and other sights, can you say Monument Valley?
Nice replay as we have hit some you spoke of and doing all 5-National Parks is not a bad idea. I'll start working on this one for our next trip as it takes me some time. But even being as old as I am Google is not a bad workout for us. Some of the Family live in Utah, SD, This will give us an opportunity to catch up on some old stories Thanks.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
OP: It's really not difficult to pick a park, Google the national park website and get all the information you want. Every national park is special. That's why they're there! If you're near one then go. Here is your Natchez Trace read:

https://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm
YES, we have all the stuff we need for Natchez Trace Parkway. We know about NPS Passport program. Thanks, As I'm sure someone here will be able to use your suggestions. I have read almost nine books on NT-Parkway and the area. Little History after the Lewis & Clark, Clark was returning to D.C. and died while on Natchez Trace. Lots of dust kicked up after his death. Was an old Indian trail between Summer and winter. A Spanish explorer back in the 1500s and 1600s explores from Florida up to VA and returned down to LA where they met back up with there ship. Partly in search of the fountain of youth. Years ago when I read that I have always wondered how they knew where to meet back up crazy but a part of History. A nice history read is a Book called "Gulf" by a Professor at Univ. Florida Jack Davis a good read as to the History of the Gulf of Mexico. Now I'm drifting sorry.. But truly thank you. Once our Van arrives we will tour NT-Parkway also some good books on National Parks by Nevada Barr, she was a Park Ranger who wrote books (Crime Stories) with the backdrop of National Parks, a wonderful writer. That is what got us started on wanting to see Natchez Trace. Thank you.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Of all the National Parks we have visited the ones in Utah were the most beautiful, especially Bryce Canyon. I must have taken at least a thousand photos there!
Thanks As this is one in UTAH we have not seen. I have been to Grand Cayon but not on the North rem as yet. We also wanted to check out a Lake and Bryce Canyon is on that pathway AZ and Utah are truly worth seeing more than once. Park City and the Back road from Mirror Lake up WY we did what a sweet drive as well as Park City, UT to weber past the Lake to Robert Redferds Ski and on down the hill to Provo near BYU University. The area just blows your mind you can not take it all in or get enough of it all. I sometimes wonder if that is where God himself held the earth while he carved out the rest of it all. NO, I'm not Mormon.

But a real must-see area all of Utah, well AZ north to Canada so much to see and when you're young you do one thing wrong touring the countryside......... You rush.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A couple of less visited parks that were great visits are Cedar Breaks National Monument, UT, and Great Basin National Park, NV. We were awed by White Sands National Monument, NM. Of course you can't beat Yosemite, Lassen, Redwoods and Death Valley in California. The area around Flagstaff, AZ has some wonderful parks and monuments. Golden Spike National Historic Site is worth the drive; get there early to see the engines leave their barns. Not a national anything, but also check out the Missile Garden just down the road.
There are so many wonderful parks there just isn't enough time!
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Man made the East - God made the West...

Since 2010, we've visited 49 states and 39 National Parks. Agree all were special in their own way...most were amazing! There were only 2 that didn't knock our socks off...won't reveal - different strokes and all that. Besides all the Parks out West, I thoroughly enjoyed the North East and Arcadia NP. Great topography and the lobster ain't bad either, if you eat two at a time.

Alaska is a must...

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drives&dives, national, nps, roadtrips