Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2009, 08:05 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
Mattresses

I absolutely loved the comfort and weight of the Sleep Number or Select Comfort - whatever they're calling it today. The only problem was the divider between the two air bags - it was in the way when sleeping with someone else. But you can get them with just one bag. Unfortunately, you can't adjust each side with just one bag. The other thing about the air bag mattresses was mold and mildew in humid climates. You had to keep them cleaned constantly inside and it was a hard job. You had to check constantly because you were never sure when it would start to grow. None of the preventative sprays or powders seemed to do any good. I got a plush top mattress after I sold the Select Comfort and even though it was EXTREMELY comfortable, it was so heavy it wouldn't allow the top of the storage compartment to stay open on it's own. In John's rig, he has a medium firm RV mattress but he has a memory foam topper about 4" thick and it's extremely comfortable. And the mattress is light. A friend of mine buys the 12" thick foam that you would use to upholster a sofa. It's not that expensive and it lasts for about a year or more. It's the plushest, softest type of sleeping you can get - you literally sink into it. But she swears it's the most comfortable bed she's ever had. Totally supports everything like she's laying on air.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
We love the Comfort Rest Sleep number bed, we have had it in both of our Monacos and was so impressed that we bought one for the house.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Go online to Bearbeds.com They have mattresses like Sleep number for a lot less. I changed out the thing in my Voyage for one and it's great. I think it was about $1100 with no tax or shipping
Old 05-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

We bought a American Bear air-type mattress last fall too. Saved $200 over the Sleep Number and it is essentially identical. The remote control isn't as glitzy, but everything works the same and the warranty is excellent.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a link to RV Mattresses on E-Bay, they have some pretty cheap prices on memory foam mattresses. Some appear to be multiple layers of foam with a cover. When shopping on e-bay, make sure you check the sellers ratings, they will tell you a lot about the product and seller.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkw...romZR40QQ_mdoZ
Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #20

Here's another vote for the Select Comfort, aka Sleep Number bed. They are guaranteed for 20 years. We had one in our house for 10 years and sold it with all the other stuff. It looked nearly new after all those years, and slept that way too. We chucked the standard mattress in the new motor home and bought another Select Comfort. I won't say price isn't an issue, but for a place where you spend 1/3 of your life, the best is what I wanted.

Just remember to lower the pressure before you hit the mountains!!
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:38 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We purchased a Serta queen size with pillow top for $400. new. It sleeps great (in the middle of a month + trip as we speak).
ALL stores we shopped would sell a mattress alone (no box springs).
Harold Miller
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote