Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #15

Here's a 2005 NEWMAR (excellent) Kountry Star for $30,000.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...-star_rv-42584
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2019, 03:56 PM   #16

Dave, I think it's hard to answer you question appropriately or with much real thought when we don't know how you want to use it. Are you an occasional weekend camper? Every weekend? A few weeks a year on vacation? How many average miles per year? Do you camp in "extreme" environments...desert in summer...up North in Winter? How much space do you need? You mention maybe even a TT is an option.

Brands have certainly varied in quality over the years. I owned several Jayco TT's in the latter 80's and 90's and they served me very well with no issues. After walking through RV shows the last two years, I wouldn't touch one now from what I see. My Inlaws were very interested in Forest River 5er quite some time ago and I also thought they had a good towable product then. Not so much now.

With the budget range you are looking at, you are certainly not going to be looking at any new motorhomes...in fact, they will probably be 15-20 years old or close to it. So perhaps how they were cared for by the previous owner(s) is really what will matter more than a specific brand. If the condition looks pretty darned good and the owner has maintenance records, that might be a bigger factor in the decision than a specific brand.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Here's a 2005 NEWMAR (excellent) Kountry Star for $30,000.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...-star_rv-42584
Nice looking rig. Thank you for the recommendation.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:14 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Dave my first MH was a 1998 Bounder 34J which served me well. I finally upgraded to a diesel pusher. The thing I appreciate most is the jake brake, descending steep grades with the three speed transmission on the Bounder was scary. The DP is also heavier with wider track wheel base so it handles so much better. Don't get the big sway when meeting or passing big trucks. So, if I were you, I would look for a diesel pusher or at least something with an exhaust brake. I will say that the upkeep is a lot more on the diesel.
thebings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #19

I'm the originator for this thread and have decided against another MH. I would now like to delete the thread. I'm going to begin another on advice for fifth wheel tow vehicles.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1194 View Post
I'm the originator for this thread and have decided against another MH. I would now like to delete the thread. I'm going to begin another on advice for fifth wheel tow vehicles.
To close the thread the moderator has to do it. On the left column is a red triangle. Click on it & let the moderator know you want it closed.

Good luck in your search!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, bounder