Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2004, 02:41 AM   #15

OK, guess I have to be the bad guy here and play devils advocate. GoodSams Club already distributes a listing of members who can be contacted in an emergency. With all the Wal-Marts, Flying J, Love's, Secure rest areas, etc. I really don't see a tremendous need for another list of stop off places. Although it is great that individuals could provide an overnight hookup, it also is probably against local zoning to have a lived-in unit on their property, at least it is on ours. And, honestly , with such a large geographic area as the U.S., the list would have to be so large and complex as to make it almost unusable.
Now that I've provided my two cents worth, carry on ......

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2004, 04:07 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Both Doris and Fiver Driver raise some valid points. The concept appears to be good when first read , however step back and take a hard look at what might be created. The provider of the information or the person providing the location could be held liable if something happened. IMHO

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 04:28 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fiver Driver and Captain Bud, your posts arrived while I was composing this, perhaps you are right on the other hand maybe Dianne's idea will work, hear me out.

Dianne.
How can my statement:?

"First it is my thought to provide help to fellow members in an emergency or in the event that another unforeseen problem occurs while in route, as opposed to replacing Flying J and Wally World with free over night parking."

Be interpreted as you state:

"What I was suggesting is for emergencys [sic] not "planned" stop overs [sic] which is what it sounds like you are talking about Mike."

Hitchhiker:

The following are just thoughts and suggestions.

1- I would be uncomfortable and hesitant to provided personal information for publication outside of my control. My suggestions were an attempt to avoid that need or at least put it in my control, while expanding Dianne's original idea and Doris' input.

2- I agree with your statement

"It's not realistic to think that RV'rs would refer to a website when their equipment has malfunctioned or someone has taken ill and they just need a place to put in for a day or so."

It was my thought that this process would take place during the trip planning stage while on the computer at home, or wherever, prior to leaving.

3- It might work something like this:

You, Hitchhiker, would post,

"Planning trip first week in June, Syracuse NY to Middlebury VT, via Rt's 90, 87, 4 and 7 ... Utica, Albany, Glens Falls, and Rutland."

I would recognize that I live along that route, will be available and after looking at your profile and perhaps recent posts would decide that I am willing to be there if you run into difficulties while in my area. Then using the email address in your profile I would indicate that willingness, the extent of help I could provide and my telephone number(s). In my case it would be almost, I reiterate, almost, anything. Perhaps someone has become ill and transported to a local hospital, you need to secure the rig and get there, Lynda and have I got you covered, ride to he hospital and all. Similarly, something has gone wrong at home and you need to get to the airport, we'll be there.

Note that at this point all we know about each other is forum handles, Hitchhiker, ParfourTheCourse, our first names and my telephone number(s), that I chose to provide via private email.

If you need an overnight I will meet you and if we both feel comfortable. I will lead you home, no need to publish my address.

BTW the email is printable. We use a three ring binder with printouts of our trip itinerary, Map Quest maps, campgrounds, fuel stops etc. in chronological order, I would print the email(s) and insert it (them) in order.

Holy cow, a page and quarter in a Word.doc, guess I better run a final spell check, copy and paste it to the Reply Box and hit Post Now. Hopefully I have communicated my thoughts in an understandable manner, while presenting a method to get the job done without exposing anyone to the unscrupulous aims of many who use the Internet. I'm sure there are still loopholes, but that's what this thread is all about, let's get them worked out and get a worthwhile endeavor up and running.
Mike
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 06:06 AM   #18

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Fiver Driver-good point,but not everyone has the book with the list of Good Sam Club members you can call,plus you don't "know" these people,never chatted with them on line.As far as Wal-Mart these are getting harder to find that allows over night parking.Also there is no Flying J,Loves,rest area or anything like that within a 100 miles or so of where we live.I would also think that people would not offer a stopover place if it were against zoning in their area.
ParFourTheCourse,not many post their itinerary on the forum when they travel-one of the joys of rving,just go where ever the road takes you,and hope for the best. I never thought such a great idea would bring out such negative comments and not that many good ones!
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 11:04 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dianne,
I believe it is a good idea, and negative comments are what develop good ideas into outstanding ones. If you travel with absolutely no idea where your going, then the program won't work for you, just as someone who can not park a rig on their premise can not take part in that aspect of it. Hang in there, if it works out, great, if not it was worth the effort. Mike
Old 05-30-2004, 12:56 PM   #20

well If someone was having problems near me-I would be very happy to accomodate them---
20 miles south of Appomattox,Va route 727
class A and C no problem because that is what I have -
-tt and fifth wheels just can't be turned around.but I go camping a-lot also-
Lifetime Good Samer
Secretary of our local group-
Old 05-30-2004, 07:05 PM   #21

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I never thought such a great idea would bring out such negative comments and not that many good ones! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee, I didn't get the idea that this thread was turning negative at all. When ideas are put out, like this one, many minds can come together and think of the pros and cons. I happen to personally, not think this is such a safe idea. It's just my opinion, nothing set in stone (however, if I did break down in Bud's area, or Al's area, I would just contact them if I needed help, since I have met them and have their info). I meet people all the time from the web. I go to computer and home business meets in different states, and it's always a joy. Once I actually meet them and get to know them, we often share addresses, and sometimes, I even invite them to my home. The difference here, is that once you put out a list like this, you really can't say..uh..if your name is Doris, or Driver, or Bud, I'll be happy to take you in, since I recognize you. But if your name is something I'm not comfortable with, you may not call. Or at least that is my opinion, on setting up a list within IRV2.com. That it should be able to be used for all. However, if I get a call from 2switchblade2 and he tells me he's from the IRV2.com group..should I (even if I get shivers down my spine) just assume he's an ok guy, since he posted three times on the board? And do I just give out my contact info blindly. I know other clubs (Good Sam, Holiday Rambler Club (and I have all the addresses of the Holiday people who are in the Holiday club..which is why I'm no longer a member, since I didn't care to have my name and number listed, and have my number across the top of my rig, which tells anyone with the list I'm not at home) have these lists, so maybe the idea works just fine. But I'm just stating my opinion..doesn't at all mean this idea won't go through. It's sort of like playing Devil's Advocate.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:24 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Doris,
I agree with you, and thought I had most of those type concerns cover in my suggestion.
Mike
Old 05-31-2004, 06:50 AM   #23

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Lol Doris,I stand corrected-I did ask for opinions,and that does include the cons as well as the pros! There is something similiar to this on another rving forum,I don't think I have ever seen a New topic post on his,but if you read this posters remarks on any forum you will see a link to his overnight/emergency list. You have to email him for this list,he verifys you are a forum member and have had numerous post and only then will he send you the list,this weeds out the possible people that want this list for the wrong reasons. There is only 18 states represented on his list,and one in Canada,so not a very long list to print out. I'm sure if he really "advertised" this he would get more responses.
Dianne
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:59 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Maybe we can revisit these ideas.

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=8076099152&f=...071041932#507104193 2
Old 06-23-2006, 03:41 AM   #25
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ParTheCourse:

Maybe we can revisit these ideas.

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=8076099152&f=...071041932#507104193 2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Inasmuch as this issue having been discussed for some two years now,I'm not sure what benefit "revisiting" it would do...

I've gone back and read all three previous pages and there were MANY valid points...

It seems,for the purpose of this site anyway, the "best" alternative to a full blown printed listing would be a periodic query of routes in a topic.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:38 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are absolutely correct sir. I retract and request that my posts on the subject in both threads be disregarded.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:51 AM   #27

some time back I offered my field- "per se flat"---well i opened the fence more--as long as it's not raining like the last few days---it is ok--can do 5ers Just e-mail me--
Im deaf and have a tough time one the phone--Cell phones don't work here.
i do have 15 amp circuit close to the field---
My bounder is up there right now
richard in VA