Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2021, 07:01 PM   #15

I would not use a generator in a park BUT a inverter generator I think would be an exception since they are so quiet. My 2000 watt gen is quiet enough th have it right next to you without being a bother. I used it during the eclipse a few years back and told the neighbors and no one complained. I would not force it on another camper.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2021, 07:26 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
cant believe it

if your building an RV park there is probably zero chance any one NOT in the park would ever hear a generator, unless its the noisy portables (which you could state NO unless pwr outages)
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:17 PM   #17

Thanks for all the replies. They all go along with my thoughts. I think we will just add some language about only using them between 10am and 7pm for a maximum of 15min during setup and foldup. Then allow them anytime there is a power outage, which is extremely rare here.

I agree with all the thoughts about the noise levels. The neighbor that is having the objections is about 400’ from the closest spot, and across a county road. They seem to think that campers are a really rowdy, loud, serial killing bunch of folks and have many many concerns about our proposed park destroying the area. I think that they are baseless concerns, but their lawyer seems to disagree. I’m just trying to get through the town approval process so we can provide some great camping options in a beautiful place that has none, yet has a huge need.

Thanks again for all your thoughts!
MtnManCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:13 PM   #18

Where is your park going to be?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Where is your park going to be?
With any luck, Eagle CO.
MtnManCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:06 AM   #20

Only time we used generator while in full hook up park was when transfer switch failed. Only had power in rig while running generator. Was able to replace part in a day but that was because we were very close to a large city. So it does happen and if we could not run generator it would have gotten hot pretty fast. In our travels I don’t remember any pay RV resort having a no generator rule. I’m sure it exists. Good luck with your business we need more parks.

Enjoy the journey
Old 04-15-2021, 08:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Common rule: no generator use in campground. Never a problem. Now if someone needs oxygen and your park power goes out you'd have to allow it. CPAP is not oxygen.

I'd say you need to allow it no matter what if the power goes out. But that is an unscheduled emergency, not routine. My bet is the neighbors would understand that, and probably some of them would be firing up generators of their own under the circumstances.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:26 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnManCO View Post
Thanks for all the replies. They all go along with my thoughts. I think we will just add some language about only using them between 10am and 7pm for a maximum of 15min during setup and foldup. Then allow them anytime there is a power outage, which is extremely rare here.

I agree with all the thoughts about the noise levels. The neighbor that is having the objections is about 400’ from the closest spot, and across a county road. They seem to think that campers are a really rowdy, loud, serial killing bunch of folks and have many many concerns about our proposed park destroying the area. I think that they are baseless concerns, but their lawyer seems to disagree. I’m just trying to get through the town approval process so we can provide some great camping options in a beautiful place that has none, yet has a huge need.

Thanks again for all your thoughts!

Sounds like a classic NIMBY situation.
You're never going to make that neighbor happy, no matter what you do.

I would add language allowing generator use in emergency situations only, such as a power outage. That's probably the best you can hope for.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:33 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I might ask the folks that are complaining if they use power mowers to mow their lawn. If they do, they will generate significantly more noise as most lawn mowers are 90 db. An Onan RV generator is 61 db. I might also point out to them that 60 db is normal conversation level. In other words, the complainers lawn mowers are many, many times louder than an RV generator.
Great point. ask the home owners to not run there lawn equipment for the same noise reason. Sounds like they have some lowly educated people there that are just looking fro a reason to keep an RV park out.

But most of the campgrounds prohibit generator usage unless there is a power outage and even then, no usage at night.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:27 AM   #24

Almost every electrified park I've ever stayed in has a no generators rule. Lots of rigs come in with generators running and leave the same way, including me. I would have no problem using my generator in the event of an extended power grid failure and doubt any park would object to that.

Prohibiting "contractor" type generators is something I'd favor in just about any RV park.

A no generators rule at a full service park would not have any impact on my decision to stay there or not.

Boondocking and limited service parks are another topic altogether and not a topic of the OP's question.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #25

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Sounds reasonable!

A rarity in some RV parks these days !
Old 04-15-2021, 12:41 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
I would think that the town would want you to start your business. after all the business tax you would be paying the town would likely be more then a drop in the bucket. Adding some language in your parks rules should satisfy the town. You will never be able to satisfy the neighbor and the town is the one that has the final approval.
Good Luck.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsalem View Post
Adding some language in your parks rules should satisfy the town. You will never be able to satisfy the neighbor and the town is the one that has the final approval.
Probably right on that. And I would reconsider even mentioning 'emergencies' or 'power outages' regarding generator use. What's the town going to do when there's a presumably rare power outage? Start handing out summonses to residents (an RV is a second home, after all) for running a quiet generator when there's a power outage, when S&B residents are running their noisy contractor gen sets? I think I'd just not even bring it up, as it gives the resident(s) even more to argue about up front.

Might be best to consult an attorney, though, as the resident(s) seems to have one on retainer.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:30 PM   #28

Quote:
With any luck, Eagle CO.
That's a beautiful area... close to Vail and on the Colorado River. Lots of outdoor activity. I'm sure you are or will study up on the town's ordinances to see about any restrictions before proceeding.

Generator usage for emergencies only would be great! I don't think you could go with 'no loud generators' rule. Everyone has a different interpretation of 'loud'.

Good luck with your endeavor!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, generators