Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #1

Need for generators at a park?

Hello all,
I am currently in the process of trying to get a new RV Park approved in the Mountains of Colorado and we are catching a little flack from some residents in the area about a few things. One of these things is the perceived noise from generators. We already have quiet hours in our management plan, but they are pushing for us to not allow generator use at all in the park. We will have 50 amp service at all pull throughs and 30 amp service at all tent/van camping spots. There will be no additional charge for electric hookup.

My question for you all is do you see any need for generator use in a park that has electric service for all spots? We personally never run our generator when we have hookups available, but I’m wondering if there is a circumstance with large busses or something else that I’m not thinking of.

Thanks in advance for all your input.
MtnManCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Owners of large coaches are much happier with 50A shore power. We manage with 30A power, but if the weather get's very hot, we can't cool a large coach with 30A.
Generator only 'needed' with no shore power.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:57 AM   #3

I would typically have generator running when arriving at a site and also start it 10 minutes before I leave but other than that I would see no reason to run a generator. Those of us with pets wil sometimes have the generator auto-start feature if shore power was lost. Most campgrounds that I am aware of (with hook-ups) have a no generator policy.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:07 PM   #4

Agree with @mdc99 seems like most parks with full hookups don't allow generators. So it wouldn't / shouldn't be a surprise to RV'rs that generators are not allowed.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
Agree with @mdc99 seems like most parks with full hookups don't allow generators. So it wouldn't / shouldn't be a surprise to RV'rs that generators are not allowed.

YUP. A non issue. No generators in the park-- a common rule.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #6

With electric available at all sites, just make it in your park rules, ‘NO generator use’ from 5pm till 10am, most of the neighbours would be at work and still give your campers time to ‘exercise’ their generator if needed.
Also explain, if possible, to the neighborhood that RV generators are much quieter than a typical commercial/construction generator.
How close are the neighbours, they may not even hear them.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:24 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
No.
Hognuts1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:08 PM   #8

Where are you located, out there? If things ever get closer to back to pre-panicdemic normal, sounds like your new operation will be worth a look see.
p.s. Agree with the others. No to generators, when shore power available.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:14 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Common rule: no generator use in campground. Never a problem. Now if someone needs oxygen and your park power goes out you'd have to allow it. CPAP is not oxygen.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:30 PM   #10

I would think power outages would be an exception.

As common as home generators are now, hard to believe the neighborhoods nearby wouldn't be humming too.
Psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:56 PM   #11

There's no reason to allow generators in a park with electric hookups. Be a good neighbor right off the bat!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:58 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
From our vantage point, if the park pedestal is hot then the generator should be off. If the pedestal power goes away, my generator will likely used.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:27 PM   #13
Community Moderator

I have heard no generators during quiet hours. But nothing about no generators during the day. We had an issue where the park we are at had been vandalized and we lost power at 1:30am. We did not get power back to 3:00 pm. It was very cool here and I started my generator at around 8 am then ran 2 extension cords to our older neighbors so they could use space heaters to stay warm. So was I wrong for running a generator when we were without power????
If you are going to be a campground owner can you guarantee there will be no issues with the electric supply to your campground? If power goes out will people be allowed to operate a generator or are you going to tell them sorry suffer. If they are not allow to operate a generator during such above times will you compensate the individuals for the loss of the contracted electric services that was denied them though no fault of your own, maybe. But since it is stated to exercise your generator every month as maintenance are you going denied somebody the opportunity to maintain there rig's equipment?

I can understand the neighbors' concerns over noise issues, but does this include any bands you may have over for the entertainment of the campground over a holiday weekend? So no celebration of the July 4th holiday allowed?
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:52 PM   #14

I might ask the folks that are complaining if they use power mowers to mow their lawn. If they do, they will generate significantly more noise as most lawn mowers are 90 db. An Onan RV generator is 61 db. I might also point out to them that 60 db is normal conversation level. In other words, the complainers lawn mowers are many, many times louder than an RV generator.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, generators