Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to johnm405
I use the tsp 507 and is easy to install. Biggest problem was with getting the right length extender, tried metal one ans went to the braded ones. Had to call and get two special ones made. Easy to in stall and not to hard to do initial setup. Company was very helpful for some questions I had.
johnm405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2018, 08:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeed View Post
Planing to install on a Ford E450 and will buy an extra 2 for a pulling trailer.
Your E450 will need 6, plus 2 for the trailer totals 8.
Make sure that the system you plan on buying will support more than that...

As an example, my RV has 6 tires plus 4 air bags (one inside each coil spring), and that's 10 right there.

I have started looking for a used vehicle that will become a 4-down toad, so that total means I will need a TPMS can support 14 sensors.

And one of my fellow Red Cross volunteers says he knows where there is a surplus air seat in very good condition...
If you've never driven a large vehicle while in an air seat you will get spoiled in about 30 seconds once you do...
The only problem is that it requires either an air tank the size of a SCUBA tank or an on-board air compressor. So that means one more sensor for a total of 15...
So don't limit yourself when you buy a TPMS. Plan ahead.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:02 PM   #17
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've been using the 507 for ten years. I have flow thru on the MH and cap sensors on the toad. I just upgraded to the color monitor this summer and it is larger and a brighter display. They also have terrific customer service.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:32 PM   #18

Another big fan of TST. Started out with the caps, but switched to the internal. they now mount on a band that wraps around the wheel. The battery life is 5 to 7 years, about the life of your tires. Installation runs from $12-$20/tire depending on the tire size and shop. I like the internal because they monitor the pressure and temperature inside the tire and are not subject the inaccuracies caused by external temperatures, debris in the valve stem and damage by hitting a curb etc. Get your actual wheel weights and the pressure recommended by your tire mfg. TST will then program the sensors and monitor before shipping with each sensor marked by wheel location. I also like the internals because I can use Alligator double seal valve caps. I can check and adjust pressure on all 6 wheels in about 2 minutes with no caps to remove and replace. Another big shout out to Mike Benson
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:56 PM   #19

Starting from position of complete ignorance.....please be gentle.

What is the difference between the "cap" and the "flow through"?

The "cap" type looks large and bulky. Does the size and/or weight of the device have any effect on the balance of the tire and wheel?

Thanks,

Chief
Seabee Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:20 PM   #20

The cap sensor is just that a puck shaped cap that screws onto the valve stem. The flow through is more barrel shape that has a valve stem like extension on the end that can be used to adjust air pressure and weighs more than the cap type. Both will have some effect on the balance. You can use Centramatic wheel balances that adjust to the varying conditions to negate this and other conditions like mud or actual wheel assembly unbalance
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
Your E450 will need 6, plus 2 for the trailer totals 8.
Make sure that the system you plan on buying will support more than that...

As an example, my RV has 6 tires plus 4 air bags (one inside each coil spring), and that's 10 right there.

I have started looking for a used vehicle that will become a 4-down toad, so that total means I will need a TPMS can support 14 sensors.

And one of my fellow Red Cross volunteers says he knows where there is a surplus air seat in very good condition...
If you've never driven a large vehicle while in an air seat you will get spoiled in about 30 seconds once you do...
The only problem is that it requires either an air tank the size of a SCUBA tank or an on-board air compressor. So that means one more sensor for a total of 15...
So don't limit yourself when you buy a TPMS. Plan ahead.
Air seats are wonderful! Have you ever heard an airbag blow up? My tri-axle was grossing 77,000lb when one of the airbags blew while sitting on the scale. I thought a bomb went off!
davis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:58 AM   #22

Does anyone know if TST or any other sensor manufacturer has holiday specials? We will be purchasing one in the near future, and if we can save some $$$ by purchasing at the right time, then that's even better.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:47 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
TechnoRV just had a black friday / cybermonday sale. You may want to give them a call to see if they would extend for you. The color system for 6 tires was 339.
jmltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:58 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee Chief View Post
Starting from position of complete ignorance.....please be gentle.

What is the difference between the "cap" and the "flow through"?

The "cap" type looks large and bulky. Does the size and/or weight of the device have any effect on the balance of the tire and wheel?

Thanks,

Chief
I have the caps, and I have balance beads. The beads take care of the caps. If one were to spin balance only, then yes, I would HIGHLY recommend that the caps be in place during the balancing. I would also recommend NOT spin balancing, because your tires are balanced for that one time only, and rebalancing tires is a PIA from the past. No need for it.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:00 PM   #25

somebody mention a system that goes inside the tire, i mean they have to take the tire/rim apart to install them, those are flow sensors, cap sensors?
Old 11-28-2018, 09:48 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Flow thru and cap sensors screw on to the valve stem of the wheel. Nothing get's taken off. The internal sensors as the name implies are inside the tire, attached to the rim. These require that the tires be unmounted and then remounted.

Flow thru and cap sensors have batteries that can easily be replaced by the user.

Contact TST they will guide you toward the system that will best fit your needs.
https://tsttruck.com/contact/
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to johnm405
TSPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm405 View Post
I use the tsp 507 and is easy to install. Biggest problem was with getting the right length extender, tried metal one ans went to the braded ones. Had to call and get two special ones made. Easy to in stall and not to hard to do initial setup. Company was very helpful for some questions I had.
I am bad I have the TT500 from Tire tracker. Works the same as the TSP507.
Go to Tiretracker.com and read what each one will do.
johnm405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #28

the TST 507 is a Great system and their customer service is second to none
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, tpms