Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2020, 06:52 AM   #71

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We snowbird for three months at a time traveling around the country. This year we just downsized from our 36 Winnie to a Tiffin 31 footer. This was done for a couple of reasons. First and foremost we were having a problem getting into the site we wanted due to the length of our old coach. We could get into most State and Federal parks but were limited as to where they would allow us to camp with the 36 footer. Second was maneuvering down some of the roads is just easier with a shorter rig. This is our first year with the 31. While the smaller space took a bit of getting used to (smaller bedroom and bath) we are getting some great spots with the shorter coach that our old one would not have been allowed in. Good luck, in a smaller coach the floor plan is the key and tougher to find but they are out there.
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2020, 07:04 AM   #72

I think it’s all gonna boil down to the size of your rig. I’m on my third RV I’ve had one diesel. The one I have now is 28‘8“ long class C with a V 10. I think if I was going to go larger than that I would definitely do diesel, maybe even a super C.
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:33 AM   #73

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Length and floor plan are important as is chassis. Your personal opinion matters the most, buy something you like.
Some prefer gas, some diesel. Mines gas and serves me well.
Here are a couple sites to check out: ByeByeBluebird and VintageBirds
Bluebirds and Wonderlodge coaches, high quality stuff, sometimes great prices.
Good luck!
Old 01-17-2020, 07:52 AM   #74

Seems as if we have all given our Opinion on what YOU Need, this may help;

Floor Plan - Floor Plan - Floor Plan – Floor Plans – Floor Plan

Five times for the Five areas of the Coach – Pilot/Co-pilot – Living – Kitchen/Dining – Bath - Bedroom – these all will likely affect the livability.

Pilot/Co-Pilot

Driving and Comfort, ease of use?
Visibility out the Front and Mirror Location? Backup Camera?
Comfortable, Adjustable Seat?
Gauges and controls – location ease to operate?
Place to store/set your Phone when Driving?
Your Cup?
Your Charger?

Ditto for the Co-Pilot I’d even consider the use of a Computer as you drive down the Road – Is the plug for said Computer charger out of the way and hooked to the Inverter? Is there a forward Plug that is at least 15 amp for a separate heater in the winter, that is not hooked to the Inverter?

Last thought here is do the two most comfortable seats in the House seamlessly tie into the Living area?

Check to be sure the entry and exit works seamlessly – not needing to Duck your head to miss the cabinets or TV as you enter/exit the Coach- Big Deal as this is the only way in or out on most of these Coaches.

Step Cover – works and does not create an Issue.

Next is the Living Area.

Seating adequate, number and variety available?
Some are Chair and footstool type – Some Love Seat – Some Sofa –

Keep in mind this is/would be the extra Bedroom – does this work the way you need it now and in the Future?

TV – Stereo – Office – Entertaining – Room for and Access to all things needed this is the Real Multi Use Room/Area?

Storage – Folding Chairs – Footstool – Coffee Table – Lamps and Lighting – Windows allow for View and for Privacy?

For some this needs to be fairly large – other not so much. Carpet or Tile on the floor? Lighting and Dimmers?

Kitchen/Dinning Area

Refrigerator – Sink – Dishwasher? – Pantry – Storage – Fresh water – Coffee –Microwave/convection or Oven – Counter space – Surface – Ventilation to Outside?

Dining Table – Does it work for you –

Booth or Chairs – If Chairs do they work on the Floor? - Do they travel well/Tie Down Securely? –

Room for Four? – Lighting?

Can you see the TV?

Last – does the Kitchen Dining area tie into the Living area as the two are really only One?

Bath

Does it work?

Shower large enough for both of you?

Separate WC?

Two Sinks?

Separate Heat/or Electric Plug as this is Important to many DW’s?

Access while underway?

Storage?

Bedroom

Bed Size – needs to work – and is there room to get out if a King?

Closet?

Drawers?

Makeup?

Lighting in bed for Reading and getting out in the middle of the Night?

Somewhere there is likely a Spot for the Washer Dryer – single or Double?

Carpet or tile – remember this is over the engine not the Basement so …?

So many decisions – so many choices – Couple things that were Critical to us as we travel in the Winter/Cold often – so Heat was big – Insulation was Big – Location of electrical outlets – both Inverter/worked when not plugged in or running the Generator and Hard wired Electrical Connections and there locations can be critical Need for Phone and Lighting and electric heaters needs to be planned before you find you need them.
So for this exercise – if there was a Question Mark then you need to check to see if YOU need it, then put the needs into as small a space as possible and go enjoy it.

Only YOU will know what works for you – But 90 days – in the WRONG Floor Plan can be H*LL.

JMHO,

other feel free to add things I've missed
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #75

For stability

If your old DP had a tag axle you might want to factor that into your decision. We have talked to many who downsized to a 2 axle coach and found a big reduction in stability passing trucks and on windy days
mrcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:06 AM   #76

I have a Newmar Ventana 3436. Diesel pusher that is just under 35 feet. Fits the bill.
Shell Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #77

Question about state parks;

Are these length restrictions on the RV only or do they include a “toad” or a tow car in the case of a TT or 5er?
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:15 PM   #78

Consider the Winnebago 37N - formerly a Vista or Sunstar - now an Adventurer. Short to you can get into tight spaces but huge closet spaces, big kitchen counter, garden shower and 80” queen bed. 3 slides. Lots of power with Ford F-53. We tow a CR/V. Love the heat pump/AC. We didn’t bother with the bed above the cab. Several 3-4 month trips including CA. Check it out.
daviddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post

Are these length restrictions on the RV only or do they include a “toad” or a tow car in the case of a TT or 5er?
There is no uniformity in site sizes. Same goes for national parks. Our 40' MH & Jeep has fit in a, supposedly, 35' spot.

I would guess most, if not all, parks don't even measure the sites. They are guesstimates by non-RVers.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:37 AM   #80

Quote:

While the true answer is there is no consistency, generally speaking use that number to figure if you can fit the RV in the site. Occasionally we find the Jeep has to be parked oddly, or away a bit but that's very rare. If a person were towing a 40' 5th wheel, with a 22' dually, and double towing a 20' boat, they might not want to no plan to fit it all into a 40' site.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #81

Quote:

It really doe vary all over the place, some places measure the actual length of site, others just seem to pick a number out of a hat. Let me give a couple of examples, in 2017 we stayed at 3 different campgrounds in Yellowstone, booking a 30 ft site (the reservations system at the time allowed the option of 25, 30, 35, 40 ft sites), our overall length is 29'5" bumper to bumper. In all 3 cases we barely fit in the sites, with 1-3 feet to spare in the back in sites. Close enough that I put out orange marker cones so passing traffic would not bump us with their tow mirrors. By comparison in October we were at the Grand Canyon, at Mather's Campground, booked into a loop pull through site that was officially listed as 27 ft max, we fit with no problem as the site was at least 75 ft long, though turning into the site required some backing and cutting as it was a left turn while going around a left hand bend in the camping loop. Note Mather's has a 31 ft total max length limit for the Campground. So how they came up with 27 ft for this site, and not 28 or 29, or even 31 who knows. Though to be honest it I had my doubts if we could make the turn without tail swing or off tracking causing us to hit a marker post, rock, or tree.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:57 AM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
I have had 3 diesel pusher and last year I bought a 2019 Tiffin Allegro 32SA with the V10 Ford engine. I will not go back to a diesel because this engine has all the power anyone would need. I've was out west in the mountains and it dose not have quite the pull as the diesel but looking at the cost difference in the price of the diesel , cost of fuel, I'm in no hurry to get anywhere, it does just fine. I use to look at the trade in that the diesel has as far as miles on my unit. No more, most people don't put enough miles on their unit to hurt anything. My Opinion
I totally agree with you, Dennis. We went from a 40’ DP to a new Georgetown GT5 34H5 gasser and love it. It’s 38’ and does the job for us just fine. There are many reasons we prefer gas but the accessibility of engine service as well as cost for us we’re the main ones. Nothing at all wrong with the dependable DP but just a personal preference for us.

As far as getting either one in state/nat’l parks, we’ve never had an issue. You might run across some narrow and short turn arounds but we always ask when going in which roads to avoid with our size unit. Again, never had an issue as of yet🤞
jeddpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:47 PM   #83

How long

Quote:

While I qam speaking without much authority on this subject, I can say that the length is the RV itself.

WE have one State Park, Queen Wilhelmina State Park, Arkansas. Our RV is 40'. We like the top of the hill spot (around #25 or so). It is designated as a 40' spot, it is tight. We always use a spotter when parking, a spotter that knows what he/she/it is doing. Also we use two way radios. The top of the hill is better for ham radio communication.

Other than Queen Wilhelmina, we don't have a problem and its not a problem, just don't try to setup in the middle of the night. At Queen Wilhelmina we have parked in spots designated as small as 32', we just have to park the toad (2001 Dodge Ram pickup) 25 to 50' away at a auto parking spot.

The folks at Queen Wilhelmina are great.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #84

The picture I posted on page 2 of this thread shows shoehorning in my 28 ft class A into a 25 or 26 ft space in the fog at Queen Wilhelmina State Park.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a