Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2022, 09:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
How about one of these? I have dragged many a baseball infield with one of these drags.
The spikes can point up or down. If anchored to the ground with strong steel spikes like those used on railroad track ties and with the spikes on the drag pointed up it might discourage a potential thief as being too much trouble.
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]... [emoji382][emoji40][emoji106]Attachment 355126
Good idea and may deter until the thieve figures out to throw a blanket, heavy cardboard, or a piece of plywood over the top to lay on.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2022, 11:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
Good idea and may deter until the thieve figures out to throw a blanket, heavy cardboard, or a piece of plywood over the top to lay on.
I was thinkin' the lazy bustards wouldn't have enough room to work under the vehicle while laying on top of the 2-4 inch long steel tines. A blanket or cardboard probably wouldn't provide enough padding. Besides, what thief would be carrying a half sheet of plywood around in his tool kit?
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]... [emoji382][emoji40][emoji106]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by F76Marion View Post
My BIL just called with an idea that doesn't matter to either of us. Because our old coaches never had any catalyst .

Someone needs to get stickers that say, "Catalyst marked to prevent theft"

Those with catalysts can put these low on the side of the coach where they can't be missed by someone crawling under to saw one out.

If you have to replace a catalyst, have a welder write the VIN on it.

When a scrap dealer takes one in with a VIN and he does not have paper, he is looking at lots of trouble he does not want.

Frank
I did this... if it ever gets stolen, I'll just straight pipe it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat resized pic.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	355185  
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:56 PM   #18

How long will paint stay on a converter? Last I knew, they get hot enough to catch tall grass on fire. Hotter than I think high temperature paint can resist.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
How long will paint stay on a converter? Last I knew, they get hot enough to catch tall grass on fire. Hotter than I think high temperature paint can resist.
I have thousands of miles on my painted converter.
It started out bright orange and morphed into a cool looking striped job. I think it makes more power now!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cat painted resized.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	355191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat resized pic.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	355192  

2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 01:26 PM   #20

Best deterrent?
Park it inside a fence with a rottweiler running around.

"Remo" is smart... he knows it's his playground and toys to take care of, he doesn't bark or make any noise until after he's positioned himself between the trespasser and the exit...

Trivia: Remo is Greek, it's a noun, and translates to the strong one.

Mike
Old 01-31-2022, 01:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
I was thinkin' the lazy bustards wouldn't have enough room to work under the vehicle while laying on top of the 2-4 inch long steel tines. A blanket or cardboard probably wouldn't provide enough padding. Besides, what thief would be carrying a half sheet of plywood around in his tool kit?
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]... [emoji382][emoji40][emoji106]
If it were a few nails I would agree with you - but have you ever seen the “trick” where the bare footed guy walks on a bed of nails? Much easier to walk on a bed of nails that a few.

And with all the trash flying around these days on our streets and highways, it’s easy to scrounge something up to help pad the body.

Not to mention the fact that the coach next to you might not have any protection - given limited, time which coach will they attack first?

I mean the thieves are already smart enough to use a battery powered saws-all - going the next step isnt that difficult in the big scheme of things.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
And assuming they'll steal it during the daylight when they can even see the sticker.
They will steal in daylight. We went up to the woods not too far from home to shoot pistols. There is a wide area at the beginning of the forest road where there were two pickups with empty trailers. 4 runners were on them. When we came out only one pickup was there and the guy came up to us and asked if we seen anybody around. We did not. Someone stole his catalytic converter, And it has been on the local news a couple of times.
If they don't follow or enforce the laws like has been mentioned, we are ( input your private word here ). It's a jungle out there folks.

EDIT: Looking at the painted CAT after it burned awhile, it looks like a planet in out space, don't it.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:02 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
You can always do something like this

Name:	4h25ze24slv31.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	355256
Old 02-01-2022, 03:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKimmel View Post
You can always do something like this
Attachment 355256
There you go!

Guess I need to get some rebar and my welder out.

Some may say they’ll just cut through the rebar with the same saws-all - well, the idea is to increase the level of difficulty to a point such that the thief will move on to an easier target. I think this somewhat does that.

I guess to some thieve’s, they might go ahead and cut the exhaust pipes on each end thinking they can get the cat out.
If that happens you may still end up having to get the exhaust pipes welded back together (although there are clamping sleeves made for exhaust use that might would work - but using those makes it easier for the next attempt as they don’t have to cut the exhaust pipe - just remove the clamps then use bolt cutters to render the rebar quickly useless).
Old 02-06-2022, 03:51 PM   #25

How about...
1. Military grade pull ring smoke bombs attached to the cat.
2. A loud motion sensor alarm mounted next to the cat. You can shut them off with a remote on your keychain. These are used by bicyclists and motorcyclists.
Dave Meekhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:53 PM   #26

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No thief is even going to look and read a sticker like that. And if they did, they'd laugh because there is no enforcement that any marking might prevent sale of the cat converter. Almost finally they'll figure they can remove or deface any marking on the cat and sell it regardless. And finally if they steal it (and they will) and find they can't sell it, they'll just toss it in the nearest dumpster they come across. End result: you gain nothing trying to mark you car, a sticker means nothing to someone who's stealing your stuff.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:14 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the world we live in, I think the only way to virtually eliminate theft is to not own anything someone else might think worth stealing. I say virtually because there's always some chucklehead that will steal just for kicks without any intention of profiting from the effort.
We try to safeguard our loved ones and our things as best we can though, so I understand the thought behind the stickers, but I'm not sure how much good they would do. I still think the best defense we all have is to continue looking out for one another; unfortunately, the percentage of those that don't care about someone else's stuff seems to be increasing.
As for me: I try to keep my eyes open, keep my insurance up to date, maintain a rainy-day fund to help smooth out the bumps in life, and keep enjoying the blessings the good Lord continues to send my way as best I can.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:32 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We have no smog testing, so installing a "test" pipe in place of the cat is an option I am seriously considering.

I did it with my old 1994 Airstream with the TBI 454, and it ran great.

Who has done it with their 8.1 Workhorse?

As far as signs go, do those crooks read and obey signs?
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote