Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2022, 03:09 PM   #1

Unhappy Need to sell travel trailer and 350 diesel truck

Hello,
Unfortunately husband's declining health requires us to sell our loved trailer and truck. Have loved every 7 yrs of having them. Don't want to sell but I would not be able to do hook up/unhook myself let alone pull trailer behind the truck.
What is your advice?
a) sell them together as I would not be able to sell truck first and then be able to have someone move trailer to display, etc.
b) have someone take trailer to a consignment facility & then sell truck separately.
What is the going percentage that a consignment facility would gain as I have no area where I could display and have trailer setup for viewing without pulling it out of the storage facility?
If you might have figured, my ideal would be able to continue traveling with our trailer. It has been a fabulous 7 yrs that I dread to hate to discontinue.
Koala Lady
koala lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2022, 03:31 PM   #2

If you price the trailer fairly and take the 15% consignment fee off it will sell very quickly. Lot of trucks on the market, possibly due to fuel prices, but I am not seeing prices drop much if any. Advertise it as a pair or trailer first.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 03:51 PM   #3

Sorry you have to sell but after you do so perhaps you can get a camping van or small motorhome since you love RVing so much.

My advice would be to take the trailer to a consignment. PPL Consignment in Houston moves them fast if you can hire a driver to take it there. We had a good experience with selling our motorhome there within a month. Contact them and perhaps they could even set you up with a driver for it. Have it cleaned out good inside and sparkling.

Sell the truck locally. With the price of new trucks nowadays I'm sure your truck would sell fast.

Best of luck to you!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 03:54 PM   #4

Trailers have held their value very well because of Covid induced demand and restricted supply of parts throttling the trailer supply. THAT IS OVER despite what a trailer salesman would tell you. We are sitting here in RV country and the transport lots are full while there are also tons of trailers sitting around the manufacturers. One of the RV news magazines reports a 30% drop in wholesale orders. So, this means that the trailer will likely bring somewhat less than you expect. Trucks, however, continue to bring crazy money in the used market. My suggestion is DO NOT sell the truck until the trailer sells. I would try to establish a realistic price for each, add it together, and advertise the pair. Do you have any wheeler, dealer, friends or relatives who could help you? A private sale is your best bet for the trailer--dealers don't need used units. There are dealers all over the place that will buy your truck.
LenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 04:08 PM   #5

First off, sorry to hear about his death.

If your in or near Michigan I am looking for a truck currently. You can PM me if interested in selling.

If you sell them separately you usually can get more out of them.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 07:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster73 View Post
First off, sorry to hear about his death.

If your in or near Michigan I am looking for a truck currently. You can PM me if interested in selling.

If you sell them separately you usually can get more out of them.
She didn't say he died.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
She didn't say he died.
Ahh I'm so sorry, It was supposed to say health!! Again my apologies.

It will no longer let me edit the original post but I requested that a moderator change it.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 11:46 AM   #8

If OP can post details on the trailer and truck as well as what part of the country where located, I'm sure there will be lots of advice--maybe too much.
LenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 11:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenR View Post
If OP can post details on the trailer and truck as well as what part of the country where located, I'm sure there will be lots of advice--maybe too much.
Yes, we need more information on the truck and trailer. For example if the trailer is large enough to require a 3/4 ton truck or larger I would recommend trying to sell the truck and trailer together first and see what happens. When she says trailer we don't know if it's a pull behind or a 5th. wheel trailer all set up to tow the trailer.
Specifics will allow us to give her better advice.
I'm sorry to hear the reason she is selling the truck and trailer and wish her the best during these troubling times.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:18 PM   #10

This year there is a huge backlog of new truck delivery dates, sometimes 9 months.
This means the used truck market is also hot-so to speak. I would sell the 5er first, but hopefully someone will buy the entire package.

Folks she listed the Rv as 30-32' that almost rules out a TT.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 04:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Yes, we need more information on the truck and trailer. For example if the trailer is large enough to require a 3/4 ton truck or larger I would recommend trying to sell the truck and trailer together first and see what happens. When she says trailer we don't know if it's a pull behind or a 5th. wheel trailer all set up to tow the trailer.
Specifics will allow us to give her better advice.
I'm sorry to hear the reason she is selling the truck and trailer and wish her the best during these troubling times.
From her Profile she's in Florida and bought a new 35' Forest River Hemisphere in 2016.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 03:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
This year there is a huge backlog of new truck delivery dates, sometimes 9 months.
This means the used truck market is also hot-so to speak. I would sell the 5er first, but hopefully someone will buy the entire package.

Folks she listed the Rv as 30-32' that almost rules out a TT.
There are many many TTs out there at that length and more.

Tags
diesel, sell, trailer, travel, travel trailer