Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2020, 09:22 PM   #1

Need towing advice on PSI

New member here and picking up my new travel trailer this weekend. Looking for advice on tow vehicle tire PSI.

TV: 2010 F150 supercab 4x4
TT: Grand Design 2600RB
Tires: Toyo Open Country HT2 275/65/18 LT 10-ply max 80PSI

Here is what I've calculated so far:
TV curb weight 5530
Passengers 500 (only 3 of us 99% of the time)
WD hitch 100
Addl. est. payload 300 (at the VERY most and probably nowhere near that)
TT tongue weight 594
Total estimated truck weight 7024 (max GVWR is 7200 btw)
That comes out to 1756 load per tire.
The Toyo load chart for my tires lists 1940 as the max load at 35PSI.
That's almost 200lbs per tire or almost a 10% cushion.

Is there any reason I would increase the PSI beyond 35? Even at 7200lbs max GVWR that's 1800 per tire, which 35PSI also covers. I wasn't sure how the WD hitch spreading out the load would affect the load weight on the tires.

Thankful for any advice you can give. I went with LT tires instead of P-metric due to several recommendations from various sources. I wanted a more durable tire overall even if it meant a slightly rougher ride (although so far they ride great IMO). Just want to make sure I get the PSI right with no risk of blowouts due to under-inflation. Thanks!

Kevin
kedmondson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2020, 10:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The rear axle probably carries more than 50% of the load, especially the trailer tongue weight. If you look on the driver door post, you will see a placard showing front and rear axle ratings (GAWR). On an F150, the two may be close, but check to be sure.

I would not trust that 594 lb tongue weight, since it sounds like a brochure spec and they are rarely accurate. Furthermore, tongue weight changes radically as the trailer is loaded.

In any case, do not assume that each tire carries the same weight and make an allowance for that. Whether it needs to be more than the 200 lbs/tire is an unknown until you load up the trailer, hitch it up and drive to a scale. It sounds as though 35 psi/tire may be adequate, but it doesn't hurt to run the tires a bit high until you can get to a scale and be sure.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, tow, towing, towing advice