Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #1

Question Need Trauma Kit Recommendations

Looking for professional recommendations from EMT, nurse, doctor for what pre-made trauma kit would be most useful for RN daughter to travel with if she just happens to be in the (right or wrong) place at the (right or wrong) time.

Please be as precise/exact as you can be. Include website if you can.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2021, 11:28 AM   #2

AS an RN SHE should have a pretty good grasp on what SHE would need to have
SHE could talk with her Supervisor, her Hospital Nursing Staff, Call Local Ambulance Service/EMT---Fire Dept

https://www.survival-supply.com/trau...20group%20%231
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:40 AM   #3

As a paramedic I agree with Old-Biscuit.

Most pre-packed kits have a few useful items and lots of cheap/limited useful items to make is a "101 piece" kit better than brand X "99 piece" kit. There is a reason we do not by/use pre-made kits.

If this is a project you are serious about talk with daughter. Find out what she would find useful and see if there is a kit that is similar to that need and the supplement with other needs.

While all RN's receive the same base training their individual skill set/knowledge/comfort will vary greatly depend on what roles the have worked in. An ICU RN, ER RN, Floor/Recovery, Flight RN will all have different needs.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:42 PM   #4

I read this as you’re trying to put a gift together for your daughter. An admirable gesture to be sure, but I would suggest you tell her what you would like to do, let her decide what she needs then you foot the bill.

I know from being married to an ER Nurse for years that just about anything she would need would be readily available to her if she is in a hospital environment.

Blindly putting together a medical kit with specialized equipment is like buying police equipment for a cop without getting his/her input.

Let her make the call. If she is a brand new Nurse, I’m sure she can get the best input from colleagues.

Emergency room personnel would be the best bet, since if she is traveling that would be the most likely scenario she might encounter.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:06 PM   #5
PKI

Best conversation that I have seen was developed by Stacy of "You, Me, and the RV"

Best Kit that I have seen was a rather large tackle box that was crammed with everything a doctor might find useful. It was assembled over a number of years by a physician that I sailed with in the 80s. Knowledge makes the best decisions.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:13 PM   #6

Here's another video with links to where you can buy the stuff. I've watched both and frankly I would leave out the aspirin, tylenol, sting medication etc. While the things these items treat are annoying they certainly aren't life threatening. If you can afford an epi-pen after the crook raised the price that would be a nice thing to have. They have changed the name of their channel to "Outliers Overland" from "His and Hers Hub" or whatever it was when they made this video. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:04 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Having worked law enforcement for years, we saw many items that you could carry, but you could also go overboard and have stuff rot away before it was ever used.

I carry a medium plastic toolbox with basic items like gauze, tape, Neosporin, bandaids, Ace bandage, gloves, cpr mask, scissors, etc. I also carry some things that I might need in a wilderness situation, like sutures, blood clotting material, nasal passage tubes for face or mouth damage, super glue and tourniquet. We were trained in emergency situations to concern yourself more with blood loss before CPR.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:07 AM   #8

This is a good site that I’ve ordered from in the past and they do gift certificates too. https://www.rescue-essentials.com/giftcertificates.php I agree she should put her own kit together, as it depends on what she is going to do with it. I’ve volunteered for many different outings, and I’ll update my bag based on the event (desert environment or race track events get sunburn and electrolytes, firearm and remote events get stop the bleed kit, base kit always has bandages for an ankle strain wrap, oral and topical analgesics, super glue, eye wash, tweezers, iodine swabs, emergency foil blanket,etc etc). Most of the time it’s having the small things that keep minor injuries from getting infected and/or small comforts. The one time my kit came in super handy was a drug overdose and exposure- kid got high and wandered into the cold woods when he was found some time later naked; wrapped him in the foil blanket and called 911, ambulance guys did an assessment and said “he appears to be improving, it’s up to you but we don’t think he needs to go to the hospital,” but because I had my own BP cuff and knew his blood pressure had dropped dangerously low I told them to take him (the EMT readings were significantly higher than mine). I visited him in the hospital and talked to the ED doc- turned out he crashed when he got there and was ventilated by the time I arrived. If I didn’t have my cuff and stethoscope that night I would have relied on the EMTs word, and that night would have gone very differently.
Kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:41 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Amazon carries several first aid kits ranging from simple to very extensive. Even though neither the DW or I are medics, we bought one of the higher end models to keep in our Class C so if the need arises a real medic would have the resources to handle just about any situation.

First aid kits for pets are also available.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:27 AM   #10

Remember that you are only trying to keep someone alive until the EMTs arrive, not perform long term care.
Our emergency kit fits in a ziplock bag and includes 4x4 gauze pads. A roll of gauze tape, some sticky tape, a clotting compress, scisors, and a CPR mask. We carry the emergency kit when hiking or kayaking because we can take care of the worst situations without carrying a lot of weight or taking up much room.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:32 AM   #11
IC2

I wouldn't carry more then a normal, possibly a bit extended first aid kit that would be good enough to give immediate first aid until a local EMT arrived. Beyond that she might be setting herself up for possible legal actions in today's litigious society if something happened like a permanent disability or worse that may or may not have been caused by someone's action. I vowed never again to 'witness' an injury car accident after lawyers from both sides harassed me for years afterwards including their personal appearances at my doorstep at inopportune times.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:12 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I took a Wilderness Medical course years ago, but I am not an EMT, rescue professional, or any kind of medical professional. But the most important thing to have is calmness and the ability to think. Your daughter should already have that. For a nurse who comes upon a car-wreck, just a permanent marker to write pulse and respiration numbers on the patient, towels or something to staunch blood flow along with easy to access gloves is probably all she needs. The “Call 911” is the first step in a front country incident. A backcountry incident takes different training and equipment since you are hours away from help.

I took that Wilderness First Aid years ago since we did a lot of back country hikes and wilderness canoe camping many hours or even days from help. Never used my kit except on other people’s kids for blisters, scrapes, and minor cuts. Pro-tip: don’t take your kids hiking an hour or two from the trailhead without food or water and while wearing flip flops!
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #13

I bought this one for when I am wheeling my Jeep in the back country.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BC3444L...roduct_details
Old 04-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
I agree with others that she would be in a better position than anyone getting a kit that she likes most, so a gift certificate option sounds good. I will also add that having such a kit is a good idea for all of us and I have one with similar items as Big_Lebowski referenced, I used that for a starter so to speak and added more ace bandages, water purification tablets, emergency matches, neosporin, and a few similar items specific to what I think could be of value while RVing.
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote