Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wink Need your opinion...again:)

Hey friends,
I'm about to purchase a Progressive surge protector w/ voltage protection. a EMS-PT50C for my 2003 National Dolphin. The cost for the unit with the remote sensor is $389, but the one without the remote sensor is $329. How important do you feel is the remote sensor? I mean once you plug in and get the all clear, you should be good to go. If there is a surge and get a fault indication, the unit without the remote still has a digital indicator on the unit. So, is it just convience to not have to go out and check it out in the basement? Also, is there a true danger of them catching fire in the basement?
Question 2- I have been traveling about 3 years, mostly from the midwest to the south and back. I have T-Mobile phone service and other than in the Grand Canyon Park the phone reception has been pretty fair. We are getting ready to go fulltiming this coming fall and was wondering if I should invest in a Wilson Cell- Data Booster. Priced around $270, is it something alot of you guys have or use? Is it worth the money? I will be using my phone to connect to internet for paying bills and browsing. I do realize alot of cg, parks, areas have wi-fi, but if they dont I need to be able to hook up from time to time. Kinda long winded, but wanted to explain my situation fulling. Thanks ahead for the comments!
lilgreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2012, 03:11 AM   #2

Looks like you listed the wrong part number for the PI unit. The one you listed is not compatible with the remote display. It is for the hard wired type which is what I think you are considering from the way you describe mounting it in the basement.

I have one mounted in my basement behind a panel out of sight and use the remote display mounted in the basement where I can read it. I have not found it to be a problem not having one inside the camper so if you mount the main unit where you can see it you should be ok. If not, you can always buy one later on. You should verify the unit comes prepped for the remote but I suspect they all are.

Only problem I had mounting it was due to the stiffness of my camper power cable wires. Made it difficult to connect inside the small space of the PI unit.

Someone else will be along and chime in on your other questions.
petehami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi lilgreek7,
I have another brand surge protector. Mine is located in the electrical bay. I do not have a remote function. For me, the remote is of no value. When I do have a problem, going outside is usually necessary anyway. This is usually to reset the CG pedestal breaker. Those who like techy gadgets will like the remote. For me, I see no need.

On the cell boost question, I run my own router with a 3 WATT boost to an antenna on the roof.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote