Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #1

Negative Roadside Service Experience with AAA East End Towing in Little Rock AR

Late last Thursday afternoon I pulled into the parking lot of the Pilot Travel Center just off IH-40 Exit 161 at 3300 Highway 391, North Little Rock, AR 72117. After going inside to purchase food for dinner I returned to my Fleetwood Tioga RV - a 24ft Class C motorhome and Ford E350 conversion - and noticed my outer left rear tire was flat. The tire would not hold air from my portable compressor, so I sought roadside assistance.

I began by calling AAA Texas Premier RV Roadside & Battery Service at 800-222-4357. The Customer Service Rep (CSR) answering my call took my information and said their local contractor would be arriving or contacting me shortly. About 30 minutes later a polite young man from East End Towing arrived. He looked at my tire then confessed to me that he did not know how to change it. I suggested he call for assistance. He did - and told me no one from East End Towing was coming to help him. We then mutually agreed that I should call AAA and request another contractor, and the young man politely waited while I did so.

It took several tries to reach a human being at AAA this time, but finally a male CSR took my details, said he could not help someone with a 7X6 area code cellphone, and threw me back in the queue. After a few minutes a female CSR picked up, and I told her the East End Towing rep was there but recommended we get another contractor to change my tire. She said she would "inform dispatch" and they would take care of me.

The polite young man from East End Towing left, and about 30 minutes later another service rep arrived. But he wasn't from another contractor, because despite my report AAA sent another East End Towing rep. This man was older, obviously agitated and referred to his younger associate as a dumb**s, but said he'd take care of me. I then watched him fiddle around with the tire for a few minutes before he began asking me questions that made it clear he did not know how to remove the hubcap. At that point I told him I did not trust him to change the tire and suggested he leave - which he did in a huff.

Once again I called AAA Texas, informed them what had happened, and demanded they send a contractor other than East End Towing. I eventually ended up speaking with the dispatcher himself - a Joe Slick type who told me that since I had "refused" the two East End Towing reps he'd sent that there wasn't much else he could/would do to help me. I heatedly told him to correct his records because I had not "refused" help from East End Towing, they just weren't qualified to give me any. So much for AAA Texas...

My next call was to Good Sam Roadside Assistance at 800-586-7400. In short order a polite female CSR took my details and said she'd send someone right away. A few minutes later she called back, identified herself as being with Allstate but representing Good Sam, and told me their primary contractor for the area - East End Towing - had already sent two reps and refused to send any more. I then told her what had happened earlier. She said she'd try to find someone else but could not guarantee anything. I asked her to make sure whoever she sent at least knew how to take a hubcap off, and she said she understood.

Unlike her counterparts at AAA Texas, the Good Sam (Allstate) CSR went the extra mile and found an alternative contractor for me - Southern Tire Mart. Within 45 minutes their rep Jeff H. arrived on the scene and asked me to follow him to their location - which was only a few hundred yards away at 12100 E Valentine Rd, North Little Rock, AR 72117. There he turned his service truck floodlights on the left side of my RV and went to work.

This was obviously not Jeff's first rodeo: Within minutes he had my RV jacked up and the hubcap and wheel off. He identified the problem as a busted valve stem rather than a flat tire, replaced it with a new one and then popped the tire back on. He took care with my valve extensions and made sure everything was aligned and tight. Start to finish he took less than 20 minutes, and my tire was good as new.

I thank Jeff H. and Southern Tire Mart for a job well done, and I am grateful to the Good Sam (Allstate) customer service representative who took the time to find them for me. As for AAA Texas, I recommend they teach their staff to think beyond their screens and scripts - and find a competent roadside service provider to replace East End Towing.
bikerv1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would never depend on a "auto" roadside assistance like AAA!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:35 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum!

I hope your next posting will have positive overtones.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:02 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and I am glad your story had a good ending.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:16 PM   #5

I don't know that I would consider someone not knowing how to get the hubcaps off as being incompetent. Now as was my experience, them wanting to use the levelers to raise the rig was no bueno. lol

I needed to remove my front wheel simulator (hubcap). Did you know that there are several different types of wheel simulators used on RVs? And knowing the brand is of no use because Dicor has several that look the same but the caps remove differently. Also, from what I could tell RV simulators aren't like big rig simulators.

My manual was of no help because whatever was on my wheel wasn't what was in the manual. I eventually through process of elimination figured out what I was up against.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:22 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yes, glad you did have a positive outcome. Question: If you had Good Sam for your RV, why did you call AAA first?

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Yes, glad you did have a positive outcome. Question: If you had Good Sam for your RV, why did you call AAA first?

Lori-

If you had both AAA Premier RV and Good Sam, who would YOU call first and WHY?
bikerv1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:39 PM   #8
dp7

I have had similar experiences with AAA RV. They sent out service personnel with an automotive jack that was way undersize for lifting an motorhome.

I dropped AAA RV & went with CoachNet.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:46 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Actually, we had AAA Premier RV but when they weren't able to assist us when our main slide got stuck deployed when we needed to be vacating our site (the campground was able to recommend a mobile tech), we switched to CoachNet.

We still have AAA for our cars as they've been able to assist us multiple times with them, but can't recommend them for RV's.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:20 AM   #10

We have AAA rv roadside as well. We hit a piece of driveshaft on the road and blew our front tire coming out of California. AAA sent three different people before someone with the right tools showed up. The first guy was going to try to take off a 22 inch tire with a four way, except he couldnt find one big enough in his pickup truck. We told him not to even try, just send someone else. Number two showed up without tools to remove the tire either. We told the AAA phone rep right from the start that this was a large rv with tractor trailer type tires. Four hours on the side of the road, but they finally sent the right person to remove the tire. We had a spare ready to install, we just had no way to remove the tire. We do now.

Tags
service, tow, towing