Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2021, 05:08 PM   #15

I bet he needs to sell it more than you need to buy it! So it gets down to how bad do you want it and how much can you afford and how bad he wants to sell it ! ME? I would sit on it ! But I already have a RV so my opinion don't really matter .
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2021, 05:44 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
I use driveway pricing. That’s the total price to have it sit in my driveway. Dealer can work the numbers however they wish, but the selling price is what it is worth to me. % off msrp is meaningless if the other costs build it back up. Be prepared to walk away. You don’t go hungry buying something, but the dealer goes hungry not selling something. You can afford to be patient, a dealer generally can’t.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
I use driveway pricing. That’s the total price to have it sit in my driveway. Dealer can work the numbers however they wish, but the selling price is what it is worth to me. % off msrp is meaningless if the other costs build it back up. Be prepared to walk away. You don’t go hungry buying something, but the dealer goes hungry not selling something. You can afford to be patient, a dealer generally can’t.
That’s only true if demand is low, and supply is high...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:57 PM   #18
Community Moderator

I think you did fine in a “normal” world.....but since the COVID thing hit, RV’s sell for top dollar.

Depends how badly you want it.....
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:00 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is always a point where someone pushes too hard and the sales people give up, knowing that they'll never be able to sell as cheap as you think they should.

Many posters can be keyboard heroes and tell you all about their conquests of 20%, 30% or 40%. But in real life, there is a point where the dealer gives up dealing with people who don't make or negotiate a reasonable offer and move on to someone else.

No offense, but just reading about how you handled it, I wouldn't call you back!
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:16 PM   #20

With RV sales as much as they are now, and high demand with low supply, trying to negotiate what you are after is not going to happen. And yes, 20 to 25% below list is reasonable, in a normal market.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:35 PM   #21

Its basic supply and demand right now. Supply is low , demand is high.
No need to accept low offers. Especially with spring being around the corner.
The dealer has no incentive to sell low in this market.
Dealer knows someone else will walk in the door right behind you willing to pay full price.
Lantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantley View Post
Its basic supply and demand right now. Supply is low , demand is high.
No need to accept low offers. Especially with spring being around the corner.
The dealer has no incentive to sell low in this market.
Dealer knows someone else will walk in the door right behind you willing to pay full price.

All I have to say on the matter is....... that person right behind me is welcome to pay full price .

I'll buy it from them for 40% off what they paid after they discover they can't afford the payments , or find they are intimated by the rig or discover they don't use it enough or just don't enjoy RVing.

Don't ever feel you may have offended the salesman . They should be ashamed of themselves with all the hidden extra charges and pushing for you to finance through them where they get a kickback from the lender . Don't even get me started on the " Set-up costs " , and telling us the rig doesn't come with a battery !!!!!!!!

There's always a better deal around the corner . Take your time , you'll find what you want at the price you're willing to pay.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
All I have to say on the matter is....... that person right behind me is welcome to pay full price .

I'll buy it from them for 40% off what they paid after they discover they can't afford the payments , or find they are intimated by the rig or discover they don't use it enough or just don't enjoy RVing.

Don't ever feel you may have offended the salesman . They should be ashamed of themselves with all the hidden extra charges and pushing for you to finance through them where they get a kickback from the lender . Don't even get me started on the " Set-up costs " , and telling us the rig doesn't come with a battery !!!!!!!!

There's always a better deal around the corner . Take your time , you'll find what you want at the price you're willing to pay.
I don't dispute any of you points. But the dealer is allowed to play the waiting game as well. The Pandemic has certainly impacted the market.
It is not business or negotiations as usual.
Other normally popular forms of travel, vacationing, and entertaining have been shut down by the virus, the demand for RV's has spiked. Coupled with a shortage of RV's for sale created by supply chain shortages and the sellers have a upper hand.
If you want an RV now, this is not the market to play hardball. If were buying an RV now, I think I would plan to pay a bit more than I would in a typical market.
Lantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:27 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
As a business owner as soon as you wanted to see my invoice or cost I would be done. I would NEVER show my cost or a factory invoice, NEVER
I wouldn't ignore you I would politely say none of your business
I will negotiate but there is a point where I don't make what I consider a fair profit, after that I would shake your hand and be done.
FCOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:06 PM   #25

I think it must depend on the RV make and model. I've got 3 dealers bidding right now on selling me a brand new (for order) 2021 Entegra Accolade 37L.

RVOne lists one with my options at $279,249 and quoted me $186,930. There will be a dealer prep fee of $695 above that and, of course, the unavoidable TTL. My Tennessee math puts that around 33% off MSRP

MHSRV has one at MSRP of $273,263 (it has less options) that they email quoted me $191k. Not as good of a deal, but still about 30% off MSRP. And available now.

Lazydays won't give me a quote, just keeps saying they're better than the other dealers, so they won't get my business and General RV is supposed to get back with me tomorrow.

Regardless, I feel 30 - 33% off MSRP during Covid, just before winter ends isn't too bad.

Never ordered an RV before, bought my last motorhome from dealer stock. How much deposit should I be giving up? What terms as far as the deposit being refundable should I seek? Not that I plan to cancel, but what if it comes without options I ordered?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210216-224337_Chrome.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	318329Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210216-224355_Chrome.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	318330Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210216-224407_Chrome.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	318331Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210216-224638_Email.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	318332
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
I think it must depend on the RV make and model. I've got 3 dealers bidding right now on selling me a brand new (for order) 2021 Entegra Accolade 37L.

RVOne lists one with my options at $279,249 and quoted me $186,930. There will be a dealer prep fee of $695 above that and, of course, the unavoidable TTL. My Tennessee math puts that around 33% off MSRP

MHSRV has one at MSRP of $273,263 (it has less options) that they email quoted me $191k. Not as good of a deal, but still about 30% off MSRP. And available now.

Lazydays won't give me a quote, just keeps saying they're better than the other dealers, so they won't get my business and General RV is supposed to get back with me tomorrow.

Regardless, I feel 30 - 33% off MSRP during Covid, just before winter ends isn't too bad.

Never ordered an RV before, bought my last motorhome from dealer stock. How much deposit should I be giving up? What terms as far as the deposit being refundable should I seek? Not that I plan to cancel, but what if it comes without options I ordered?

Attachment 318329Attachment 318330Attachment 318331Attachment 318332
The rig you're looking at isn't the same rig most people are looking for. Most have gotten bit by the "let's go camping because of the covid bug" and are looking for something lower in price to get them out of the house.

Imo, 20, 25, 30% off a made up number in a normal market is certainly possible. With demand being so high these days, I'd say the 17% discount the OP was offered wasn't too bad.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:37 AM   #27

Use RVTrader.

Search for the model you're looking for. If you get 700 results, chances are you can negotiate a great price. If your search turns up 2 or 3 results, you're not likely to get much off of MSRP. There's generally good inventory for popular models.

Another good feature of RVTrader is specific sales history. It's called "Price Checker" and it lists the high and low prices for every model. Example: Grand Design Imagine XLS is listed with a high asking of $49,295 (nuts) to a low of $25,875 with an average of $32,682 for a NEW 2021. Of course, this is just asking, not the actual sales price.

Another thing to consider is the dealer and what is included in the sale. Does it come with a considerable "starter pack" or does it only come with a cheap 30 amp plug and a wave from the salesman? How about service? Here we have a dealer with a good price, but they have no showroom only a dingy office with 4 desks and a gravel lot full of RVs. Their service bay is tiny and always backed up for weeks. Compare to a full-service dealer with a great reputation for service and a showroom full of accessories and add-ons. The latter is worth the extra initial cost to me.

And what is "out the door"? It may be different for everyone. For me it includes a number of upgrades before I ever leave the lot, all of them negotiated.

Don't tell them you're paying cash. Some dealers make money on the back end of financing and it will go better if they think you'll use their bank. Negotiate a final price, then tell them you've already arranged to finance.

Buy from the lot (if they have it). Dealers want to move their lot inventory before ordering special and they'll negotiate more.

"Invoice" or "landing costs" are irrelevant. Dealers have other ways they make money, including a monthly rebate based on the number of units or specific models sold. This is separate and apart from dealer costs.

Yes, it's a seller's market but it's also a good time for buyers, since the cost of money is low (interest rates).

Yes, demand is high and will only get higher as Spring gets closer. Be patient and do a LOT of reading and research.

#goodluck
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:42 AM   #28

If the seller isn't calling you back and isn't waiting you out, then the price you offered is in the seller's mind, too low to be worth the effort to continue negotiation.

Forget about forum users bragging about how great a deal they got. It was a different time, on a different rig, in a different market. And the "MSRP" is typically a made up number anyway (on RVs). And might even just be forum B.S. Irrelevant to you buying your RV from that seller. It just provides you unreal expectations which leads you where you are now - RVless.

Shop other deals and see if you can get more for the money you want to spend. If they say no (and mean it), then you either go up a little more or walk away.

Tags
advice