Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2021, 07:50 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBIGSKY View Post
Google shows: "Landed cost is the cumulative amount of money a retailer spends to manufacture or acquire a product, ship it to fulfillment centers, store it and distribute it to customers. It accounts for every cost incurred from raw materials, shipping, inventory carrying and any other fees like shipping insurance, duties and taxes." The dealer's landed cost most likely includes their over head and salesman's commission.
Which makes "landed cost" as sleazy a term as "MSRP".
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2021, 08:38 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
I haven’t purchased any Entegras, but that isn’t relevant. I answered a question that you asked, given the information that you provided. It seems that you’re getting a pretty standard deal of 30% off on the rig. Nothing special.

Additionally, your negotiations on a Class C Entegra are probably not relevant to the OP’s negotiations on an unknown brand Travel Trailer.

I’d also add that the dealer is ignoring the OP because he made a low-ball offer during sellers market conditions.
33% off and it's not a standard deal, when for the last 10 months they weren't going above 22%. Almost seems like you're upset you didn't get 30% off of your DS. Otherwise you'd stop downgrading what I've uncovered through actual research and negotiation on a model you haven't done the same on.

And, with its identical twin Jayco Seneca, it's a very popular Super C. If not the most popular, depending on how you classify Super C's. So, despite your tone about the Entegra, it isn't hated.
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #45

El Chapo, I have bought two used class A's from RVONE, Buffalo, RV. The three brothers that run the company really take to heart their reputation in the industry. The first rig I bought from them had a few issues that weren't taken care of prior to purchase and part of the negotiated purchase. After our shakedown weekend trip, I immediately drove it back to the dealer, somewhat p.o'd that everything wasn't done right. Mark Strollo, one of the three brothers sat my wife and me down, we cussed at each other a bit and Mark typed out a list of everything we desired to be done. He also grabbed the service Mgrs. card, he didn't have any of his, cross out the guy's name, wrote down his and his private cell number and we were told, call me anytime! My wife told Mark the rig was dirty when we picked it up, meaning they could have wiped the floors and counters off and maybe vacuum. Mark had an outside company come in and wash and wax the exterior and another company do the inside, no questions asked. They were invoiced at almost $400 just for the wash and wax. Probably one reason why they are fourth in the country in sales.

To the OP's initial question, it's always tough to negotiate over the phone. I used to be in sales and people called every day asking 'how much". The same answer over the phone, we don't quote a price over the phone because some groups get discounts (veterans)or we may or may not have a promotion going on. Go into the store, meet face to face. The MSRP, who's figures? A lot of dealers print up their own price/MSRP sheets trying to make them look like they came from the factory. Do some research as suggested, RV Trader or NADA gives MSRP figures too. Find out what the quoted price involves. Is there a dealer prep like El Chapo quoted $695 included? That figure itself can be part of the negotiation process. What else is in the price? Camping World is notorious for taking a $50K RV and by the time your done dickering and the papers and loan signed for you bought that rig for a mere $87K! Happened to my brother and sister-in-law.

The OP's premise of about 30% off of the "real MSRP" is reasonable, but is the dealer going to try and make up what they are giving up off the list in other ways? And, the OP does have to be aware of the regional availability of the model he's interested in because if there aren't alot of them out there, that 30% figure may be a stretch.

I would do some internet searches on loans and RV rates. Tough to get decent rates long-term on RVs. Again, be prepared to know a good rate from a bad one and let the dealer know you are willing to get the loan through them if the rates as good as what the research revealed. Better chance of a better price on the RV if the dealer knows he is going to pocket some cash off of the loan.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:53 AM   #46

Thank you vincee. I think what you're telling the OP is correct.

I did do my research, as you pointed out. I even met Matt Strollo, another brother, and spoke with him another time on the phone. I'm convinced the deal is as good as I can get right now. I only asked about ordering because I've never done that on an RV, but I'll ask that elsewhere since others chose to belittle the months of research and negotiation I've done without doing any of their own. This is my 5th RV purchase (4th motorhome) and I should have realized that some people only love their brand and themselves and think that their deal was the last good one.
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:53 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
33% off and it's not a standard deal, when for the last 10 months they weren't going above 22%. Almost seems like you're upset you didn't get 30% off of your DS. Otherwise you'd stop downgrading what I've uncovered through actual research and negotiation on a model you haven't done the same on.

And, with its identical twin Jayco Seneca, it's a very popular Super C. If not the most popular, depending on how you classify Super C's. So, despite your tone about the Entegra, it isn't hated.
Well, 33% is a whole different ballgame. I’m not sure what you’ve interpreted as “tone” toward Entegra or any other brand. I’ve only said that it is not relevant to compare a routine, typical or standard discount for one brand to another. I don’t believe a new, $100K Airstream would sell for $67K, or 33% off. I have friends that bought a Winnebago Forza for more than 40% off MSRP. It was a new, year old model from a high volume dealer, at a time when RV’s weren’t selling like hotcakes. There are always variables at play.

I don’t own a DS and we bought our coach used. So I wouldn’t compare the discount we got off MSRP with the discount someone gets on any new coach. I wouldn’t even compare the price we paid with someone buying a similar coach, because of all the variables that exist with used RV’s.

Maybe the OP will provide us with some additional information on the brand of TT they are shopping for and the dealers with whom they are working, so we can get back on track and assist them.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Not to argue either, but dealers and the other sites you mention don’t give you actual selling price. They only have sellers’ asking prices. Dealers will usually show MSRP and the discounted price, but again this is only an asking price, not the actual selling price.
jt
I agree. Most of those, even big sale prices are negotiable. Still, looking at the prices listed by various dealers/sources gives me enough information on how much I think I might get a rig for. El Chapo's post above about pricing for a particular rig demonstrates this nicely and gives a person an idea of where to start.

A person still needs to haggle some to get the best deal. Unfortunately, with the demand dealers are seeing now, it's tougher getting them to come down as much as we would like.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:03 AM   #49

Only a guess, but there may be larger by percentage discounts on driveable rigs, especially high-end Super C's like El Chapo is looking at, or your bigger and more expensive class A's. I would guess regular class C's too would fit the profile.

Way back in my days of retail, the more an item cost us wholesale then marked up for retail, the bigger the discount % wise I could offer because our profit dollars were greater on those items. These items also caught the eye of the buying public more readily because few can quickly calculate a discount into a % saved when in the store.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:50 PM   #50

What Do You Want?

A discount? Or a trailer? Choose. Respectfully request their best price excluding non negotiable items like taxes, titling, etc. If you want to buy it at that point then do so. Other method is to check best price of same model at another dealer - I know this is obvious. I've always believed the real problem is not the price if available - its the problem of not available at any price. Clever huh Regards. Ed
edaa53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:04 PM   #51

No markup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBIGSKY View Post
Google shows: "Landed cost is the cumulative amount of money a retailer spends to manufacture or acquire a product, ship it to fulfillment centers, store it and distribute it to customers. It accounts for every cost incurred from raw materials, shipping, inventory carrying and any other fees like shipping insurance, duties and taxes." The dealer's landed cost most likely includes their over head and salesman's commission.
Landed cost is without any markup. Carrying costs are added to get COGS or cost of goods sold. Commissions or selling costs such as advertising are normally in “overhead” or SG&A. There is also “first cost” which is what an importer pays a factory and the base number that duty is calculated against
DavidH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:14 PM   #52

Taxes, title & license (tt&l are not negotiable. Take the price he offered, and counter back to him the maximum amount you are willing to give for the trailer (be honest with yourself if you really want that trailer) plus tt&l. In a "buyers" market, 27% off MSRP + tt&l is a reasonable figure. You will have to judge the market for yourself. Good luck!
hodo58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:40 PM   #53

Offer

Stand firm
I was told markup on RV’s runs around 30-35 percent.
Also keep in mind as soon as you take it off the lot you face 25 percent depreciation.
Chuckge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:42 PM   #54

I have always negotiated with the idea that if I don't get my price, I walk. These days, if it's exactly what you want, you may have to pony up more than you would like. You may want to wait for the end of the month and see if they aren't willing to let you have it. Sales numbers are tallied at month end at most places.
kssme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:44 PM   #55

Darrellp

Here is my recent experience. Hope it helps.
After several weeks of looking at 5th wheel campers my wife and I found the make/model we wanted. Now was time to start shopping dealerships to get the best price. I contacted several dealers within 250 miles of my home and we also have a wholesale dealer that is only 20 miles from our house. I got the wholesalers best price first. I was honest with the other dealers and told them the price I had and gave them the chance to beat it. One, a small family business, tried and cane the closest. But in his price was $600 prep, $600 document fees and a couple other things. The wholesale place only adds $275 for document fees and in my quote stated prep, propane, battery all included. So even though the small family business matched the sale price, they made other money on the prep/doc fees, etc.
The wholesaler ships nationwide too if you’re not local.
Good luck.
Darrellp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:46 PM   #56

Pre covid,
May 2019 bought a new Jayco Toy hauler MSRP was 65k the purchase price was 31k that's a little over 51 percent off. Iam sure the dealer still made money at that price. 31k is without tax, registration, and 150.00 for batteries and propane the prep they called it and they wanted 450.00 but settled for 150.00 . we felt the deal was so good my son also bought one at the same price so did our friends all the same weekend. This was pre covid but iam sure deals are still out there. Dealer was 2 hours from our home.
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice