Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 07:15 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCSONRAIL View Post
Why is it that most people think RV dealers are nothing but crooks trying to put one over on you. Most are just business people trying to make a fair profit. It is the buyers who are sure the dealer is just there to rip them off. How would you like to deal with that attitude day after day. These are the same type of people who go to a local store and waste someone's time and then buy online to save a few bucks. Next time you are at Walmart maybe you can negotiate a better price on that coffee maker or get 30% off that new truck at your local Chevy dealer.

The forums are full of bad experiences. Yes, there are some great dealers, but there are also some terrible ones as well.

Dealers will list the price HIGHER than the MSRP listed on the manufacturer's website, then give you a "discount" of a certain %. Retailers have been doing this for AGES, it's capitalism at its finest. It's our job to be an informed consumer and protect our own interests. I would rather not overpay.

As with a car purchase, it's a numbers game. Yes, they'll give you more for your trade-in, but they won't discount the price of the car. Or...if I think you'll use thier financing and buy a bunch of accessories from them, they're OK discounting the TT more, especially if it's a model that is a slow mover and has low demand. Of course, the dealer will tell you that it's the MOST popular model, and he sells 5 of these a week so you should buy it NOW. What they don't want is you to order one, and that's where you're likely to get the smallest "discount." The dealer wants to sell their inventory first.

Consider two dealers:

Dealer A has a smaller, gravel lot with a variety of brands, two salespeople, a tiny service department and they don't sell any accessories and only one type of WDH, which, of course, they tout as the "best" which is why they one carry one.

Dealer B carries the same trailer brands but has a much larger dealership with a paved lot and lights, a 10 bay service department, and a fully stocked RV store. They have higher overhead costs so the "discount" is less, but they know they make it up on accessories and service. It's part of their business model.

Which dealer would you buy from? Pay less and get less? Or pay more and get better after-the-sale service?

It's about ALL of the numbers. All of them.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2021, 06:11 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
The forums are full of bad experiences. Yes, there are some great dealers, but there are also some terrible ones as well.

It's about ALL of the numbers. All of them.
All of numbers including finance costs unless you pay cash. How many buyers agonize over getting the rock-bottom price, and then give it away with the finance numbers they agree to?
jimheiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:29 AM   #101

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dolittle View Post
I guess all the folks posting about getting 20-25% off of MSRP as their OTD price were lying then. Seriously, I've only been a forum member for a few months and I must have read this dozens of times!

I wonder if being right outside a huge city like Atlanta has something to do with it. I might have to get quotes from dealers further away in smaller towns.
I was going to head up to Atlanta (NIRVC), but just did not feel like driving 7 hours up there. It worked out well because the coach was priced at $189,000 last night was $239,000 this morning and labeled as "sale pending."
I have two other coaches I would like to see. One in south Florida (five hour drive) and the other in South Carolina (six hour drive). I emailed the salesmen and informed them that I am interested in the coach and would like their best asking price. No response from either one.
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:26 PM   #102

I just ordered a 2022 Accolade xl 37K and got 31% off MSRP. The dealer already had it on order and it will be in soon. If you wait for dealer stock you are looking at 6 months. Luckily for us they had what we wanted on order already. So we put a deposit on it. Don’t wait for dealer stock all customer orders get first priority.
Kikubut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:41 PM   #103

Careful with RVone direct. I ordered a Jayco Seneca Prestiege with them in February. It arrived in May and it was an absolute disaster. They also ask you for a $10,000 non-refundable deposit. Our unit was so bad they immediately agreed to return our deposit. Major body issues, electrical issues, the entire rig was shifted and nothing lined up. In order to get the seat to move we had to push the aux start button, like I said major issues. I think sometimes they get units that have been returned to the factory cheap and try to resell them. Also they don’t allow a private inspector to inspect the unit before purchase. I was told to check their reviews by two different inspectors. Now I know.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #104

Best DEAl on it?

The Best Deal is when the price is exactly what YOU wanna pay or lower.

So homework is the key. Go see how much others dealers are offering, what others are paying and yes look at the almost new market too.

Once you get a fell for the market by READING, NEGOTIATING retract to the headquarters. Form and visualize exactly what you want and how much you are going to pay. Also create scenarios where there is some compromise from what you wanted to what you are getting and their prices....

Now put down on paper what you ideally want and the price you are willing to pay. Send it to all the dealers that you would drive to or fly to and pick up the product. You will get them coming to you with their best price. We did this for your bigD and had dealers line up. Finally just as the flakes flew in Portland the dealer called and offered a deal better than what was requested.. YEA he had three units and my friend and I were looking as a team for two units. We flew up there, the dealer picked us up at the airport. We got a walk through of the three units I picked one, my friend picked another and yes we drove out that evening.

Main thing is what you want to pay nothing else really matters. While selling a used car, a couple came to buy my car. We all went for a test drive, came back, he tried to negotiate a price lower than my asking price. I said look I just put it up for sale and you are the first folks, I am gonna have to wait and take the best offer over the next two weeks from who ever wants it. The bloke said ok here is my number call me... the wife was still in the car driver's seat, she rolls open the sun roof and sez, honey let me know when you want to buy it for 500 more that what the man is asking I am not loosing this car. You go home think on it, we will be here. Well we drove up to the bank, he got a cashiers check, went to the DMV and all done. A pristine gold E class, no rust even under the floor carpet and sound mats in the drivers foot well. No water stain either, I did not know till the dude pulled it up. Gotta say my heart skipped a beat when he did that though, till he put it back the way it was!

Value is in the eye of the beholder just as beauty is.

Life is full of compromises, make em and enjoy its best that way.
Else life becomes instead of
Old 05-07-2021, 08:47 PM   #105

Im sure you have priced what other dealers are asking and have a real # in mind . A question I ask when shopping is what are there fees, prep or filing or what ever. I'm not talking tax and reg. I also consider the dealer location and service department. Also prices are on the way up . Look at the cost of just wood and steel in the last year. Good luck !!
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:09 PM   #106

Negotiating Advice Please

I bought my Gulf Stream this last fall from a dealership.. It was listed ~10% less than other similar coaches. I told him what I willing to pay(~15% less than advertised) and he said he couldn’t do it, he then countered back. I said I would think about it but said he would have to do some upgrades, etc. A few days later he called me back and when all was said and done I got my price including the upgrades.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:04 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddndee View Post
I bought my Gulf Stream this last fall from a dealership.. It was listed ~10% less than other similar coaches. I told him what I willing to pay(~15% less than advertised) and he said he couldn’t do it, he then countered back. I said I would think about it but said he would have to do some upgrades, etc. A few days later he called me back and when all was said and done I got my price including the upgrades.

Congratulations EddnDee, you got a humdinger of a deal.

As the last leaf drops and the flakes start is the very best time for RV deals the further north you go the better the deal!
Old 05-29-2021, 07:41 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikubut View Post
I just ordered a 2022 Accolade xl 37K and got 31% off MSRP. The dealer already had it on order and it will be in soon. If you wait for dealer stock you are looking at 6 months. Luckily for us they had what we wanted on order already. So we put a deposit on it. Don’t wait for dealer stock all customer orders get first priority.

@kikubut
I just noticed this new to me model. I want to tow a less than 4K pound car and a golf cart in enclosed trailer. Can this be done with the Accolade xl 37m? Also, is there two years warranty on this?

Where did you buy? If you don’t feel comfortable sharing that is fine.

TIA
GonetoRaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:57 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonetoRaces View Post
@kikubut
I just noticed this new to me model. I want to tow a less than 4K pound car and a golf cart in enclosed trailer. Can this be done with the Accolade xl 37m? Also, is there two years warranty on this?

Where did you buy? If you don’t feel comfortable sharing that is fine.

TIA
We went through La Mesa. This diesel can tow 12,000lbs. Yes 2 year + 3 year structural. The M is a really nice floor plan. We opted for the 37K the 1 1/2 bath floor plan just in case we had company with us. Ours is due in any day and we can’t wait to get it! We opted for a dealer local so we could have a working relationship with their service dept. we had originally ordered a Jayco Seneca Prestiege from RV One National sales and when it arrived it had major issues and we opted out. Pricing is going up fast. We did go from getting a 2021 to getting a 2022 so we didn’t mind the price increase.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:46 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikubut View Post
We went through La Mesa. This diesel can tow 12,000lbs. Yes 2 year + 3 year structural. The M is a really nice floor plan. We opted for the 37K the 1 1/2 bath floor plan just in case we had company with us. Ours is due in any day and we can’t wait to get it! We opted for a dealer local so we could have a working relationship with their service dept. we had originally ordered a Jayco Seneca Prestiege from RV One National sales and when it arrived it had major issues and we opted out. Pricing is going up fast. We did go from getting a 2021 to getting a 2022 so we didn’t mind the price increase.
Excellent, thx for your response. Congratulations!
GonetoRaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #111

You did get your answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dolittle View Post
Interesting.

First, you didn't answer either of my questions.

Second, I've lost track of how many people here have posted about getting 20-25% off of MSRP as their total OTD price. That's why I countered a slightly higher discount to provide wiggle room to negotiate back up into this range.
The salesman's silence WAS his answer. He is getting so many calls these days that he doesn't feel the need to return a call to someone who wants a big discount. He believes he has many other potential buyers who are willing to pay more. It's that simple.

You're not getting anywhere with this dealer, so you should get in touch with another dealer and be prepared to drive a longer distance to pick it up if you settle on a price.
HoosierRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:27 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierRVer View Post
The salesman's silence WAS his answer. He is getting so many calls these days that he doesn't feel the need to return a call to someone who wants a big discount. He believes he has many other potential buyers who are willing to pay more. It's that simple.

You're not getting anywhere with this dealer, so you should get in touch with another dealer and be prepared to drive a longer distance to pick it up if you settle on a price.
Yep. Negotiation is an art. BOTH sides have to feel they’ve achieved something of value. Negotiation is not a one-sided sport. An I win, you lose approach won’t get you far. You can’t learn this skill from forums like this. It is learned through practice. One thing I’ve learned through experience is that patience is a virtue, but few have it, and even fewer people know how to use it.
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice