Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #1

Negotiating the deal

Background information:
I've been shopping for two years with the intent on going FT. This was put on hold a year ago because of an i jury I suffered at work. I am now disabled, and I can actually make this happen.

I found what appears to be the perfect coach. A 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095. It is the floor plan and colors I want and appears to be in good condition. It is at a local dealer but I found it on RVTrader. I have Emailed the dealer and asked specific questions about the coach. I asked specifically about tires, batteries, drive train and generator maintenance records, leaks, water damage and if the Norcold fridge had the recall work done.

The dealer returned my Email the next day. Tires are old 2009 & 2011. Batteries are old, 2009. No maintenance records.

Asking price is $59999, which is above NADA average retail. ($54899) including options and previous owner upgrades. PPL's website of similar items sold show in the last year selling prices from $45k to $52k.

My thoughts are thus. Offer $45K as is (folowing professional inspection and engine tranny oil analysis) Offer $50k with new tires (and not China Bombs ) and batteries and $55k with Tires, Batteries and an extended warranty contract.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks
David
EMDF9A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Don't think so
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Dealer is asking way too much, you should be paying low retail or less in that condition. You have the right approach- get a professional inspection. Based on your description, I suspect this coach hasn't been used lately with batteries that old. Machines don't like to be idle, so expect problems, even after the inspection. If it has ANY water damage, walk away. Budget $5K for stuff to fix after the purchase if you're handy and can do the work yourself. I'd negotiate the price down and fix things yourself as you will know it's done right. They'll fix it the cheapest they can.

Good Luck!

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #4

I'd negotiate based on as-is condition.Buy your own tires and batteries outside of the dealer.

Don't rely on anything via email as to condition. You need to lay eyes on it and drive it to verify what shape its in.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
I'd negotiate based on as-is condition.Buy your own tires and batteries outside of the dealer.

Don't rely on anything via email as to condition. You need to lay eyes on it and drive it to verify what shape its in.
Totally agree on the above.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree, don't complicate the deal by having the dealer include items or services. Check out the coach, then negotiate on as is condition.

I did this on my first coach bought from a dealer. I made my first (very low) offer along with writing a check for the full amount. The salesman said no way. I told him to take the offer forward. He came back with an acceptance.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:42 AM   #7

Don't forget that they gave probably $30-$35 for it on trade. I know that dealerships have to make money but they can get it from the next guy, not me.

T4
t4halo is offline   Reply With Quote