Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2020, 08:02 AM   #1

New 2020 F350 6.7 SRW 8ft towing 42ft 15k 5th Wheel - ride felt a bit harsh

Struggled where to put this thread. If there is a better sub- then free to move for me - thx...

So I have a brand new 2020 F350 4x4 SRW towing a 42 foot - about 15k 5th wheel. I have a Anderson Ultimate hitch installed - this was my first pull today with this truck. I was awesomely impressed with the power. So first of all I am replacing an over worked 2001 F250 4x4 with a chipped 7.3l with airbags. So I am basically comparing the rides. I thought my new truck felt a bit rough especially over rough roads. It pulled fine but just seemed to push and bounce a bit. If I had not previously pulled with my 2001 F250 I probably wouldn't be even bringing this up. So my question is should I look at getting airbags for the F350? It is a SRW but has plenty of payload for the pin weight and this thing can haul a mountain up the side of a mountain without hesitation. Is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance...(sig/tagline may not be updated yet)...
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #2

I'm not familiar with the Fords, but if they have leaf springs with an overload spring like my Jimmy does, check to see how far off the overload spring you are when you are hooked up. If you are on it, I'd add the airbags. tho only other option I can think of would be to add more weight to your overload spring via one of the torklift products.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
I'm not familiar with the Fords, but if they have leaf springs with an overload spring like my Jimmy does, check to see how far off the overload spring you are when you are hooked up. If you are on it, I'd add the airbags. tho only other option I can think of would be to add more weight to your overload spring via one of the torklift products.
That's a thought - I didn't mention but I did get about a 2 1/2 inch drop which wasn't bad but you could see it which is why I was thinking about the airbags to level up and hoping to solve some fo the ride. I posted on another forum and a goose box with air suspension but that would have me abandoning my Andersen. Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:43 PM   #4

F-350 will naturally ride harsher than the 250 that probably lost a bit of stiffness over time. Just guesstimating but that pin weight shouldn’t reach your max.
03ki11er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ki11er View Post
F-350 will naturally ride harsher than the 250 that probably lost a bit of stiffness over time. Just guesstimating but that pin weight shouldn’t reach your max.
But would the airbags help cushion some of this? And I sure you are right about the 250
Old 11-21-2020, 08:15 PM   #6

I’m certainly no engineer and I never took a physics class, so maybe I’m way off base here. It’s my understanding that your rear suspension consists of two spring packs, a large stiff main pack on the bottom and a small softer pack on top. Now let’s say your soft pack supports, say 2500 lbs, and your pin weight exceeds that, then the soft pack will contact the stiffer main pack which has a much higher spring weight. If you add air bags to lift the soft pack off the stiff pack then you have in essence stiffened the soft pack by the same amount as your pin weight. Now the soft pack cannot compress any without also compressing the main pack. Therefore you have not achieved anything other than raising your loaded ride height. I don’t see how this could soften your ride.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:14 AM   #7

We used to have a similar set up and I added airbags and they made the difference.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:22 AM   #8

I looked at the specs for that trailer on RVUSA which uses manufacturer data and the pin weight, 2380#, was based on 18% of dry weight. Using 20% of GVWR of 15.5 is 3100. Some on here recommend figuring 22 to as much as 25% of GVRW to figure pin weight with would put you in the 3800+# range. If you are in the higher weight figures you are likely very squatted, possibly overloaded, and air springs will help level that overloaded condition. May not improve the ride but your headlights won't be illuminating the tops of trees. A trip to the scales first with just the truck then with the trailer attached and loaded with camping gear and people will answer the weight question and help guide you what you need to do to help the ride.

EDIT adding; there is a sub forum under "RV Forums-Travel trailer/Fifth Wheel-Towing & Tow Vehicles
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:34 AM   #9

I had a 2011 f350 diesel that also had a rough ride hauling a 35' fifth wheel. Air bags on the truck did not help. They only helped to level out the truck. I bought a Trail Air pin box with an air bag. It really made quite a difference in the ride.

Fast forward. I also have a 2020 F350 single wheel pickup with the 7.3 gas engine. The power is great and pulls the rv just fine. I still have the Trail Air pin box on the trailer and it still rides great. Don't get me wrong. It still rides like a truck and not a car, but it really helps to soften the ride. I would definitely do this again if I ever replace this camper.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:22 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2014 F350 SuperDuty diesel long box. When I am towing the fifth wheel, the ride is fine on fairly paved highways and roads. Driving without any weight in the bed makes it ride rough. That is expected with the leaf spring setup they installed.

2 1/2" of drop is more than mine. If your over-spring is pushing on the rubber bumper, air bags will help. You can tell if the top of the lower springs setup is rubbing.....My pin weight is about 2400.

I have a MorRyde rubber pin box installed and experience no harsh movement or chucking ever. Love it. Thought about an Anderson, but the expense cannot be justified changing out the Pullrite ISR 20K hitch I have. It would be nice for those times I need to hitch up on a angle though.

How level is your setup when you are hitched up fully loaded?
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #11

Airbags/Timbrens/sumo springs should help a little. Consider that your new 2020 F350 rides on stronger tires at 80 PSI vs 65PSI for 250’s. Also, your severely overloaded F250 probably had quite a bit of frame flex happening. The spring packs are not the source of harsh ride, especially with that much weight.
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brialin View Post
I had a 2011 f350 diesel that also had a rough ride hauling a 35' fifth wheel. Air bags on the truck did not help. They only helped to level out the truck. I bought a Trail Air pin box with an air bag. It really made quite a difference in the ride.

Fast forward. I also have a 2020 F350 single wheel pickup with the 7.3 gas engine. The power is great and pulls the rv just fine. I still have the Trail Air pin box on the trailer and it still rides great. Don't get me wrong. It still rides like a truck and not a car, but it really helps to soften the ride. I would definitely do this again if I ever replace this camper.
Good to know. I will probably look at the Reese Goosebox or something like that. I looked at the TrailAir just now - it looks as promising. Depending on which route I went, I woud sell the Andersen to help offset the cost difference. But I still may be looking to level via AirBags.

I will do some research on the Pinbox before going that route as well. I like the positive comments. I will be hooking up again next weekend to do some measurements and will check out what my leaf springs are doing. Should have done that the other day.

How is that Godzilla 7.3 - I wanted to test drive one of those but none to be found.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
I have a 2014 F350 SuperDuty diesel long box. When I am towing the fifth wheel, the ride is fine on fairly paved highways and roads. Driving without any weight in the bed makes it ride rough. That is expected with the leaf spring setup they installed.

2 1/2" of drop is more than mine. If your over-spring is pushing on the rubber bumper, air bags will help. You can tell if the top of the lower springs setup is rubbing.....My pin weight is about 2400.

I have a MorRyde rubber pin box installed and experience no harsh movement or chucking ever. Love it. Thought about an Anderson, but the expense cannot be justified changing out the Pullrite ISR 20K hitch I have. It would be nice for those times I need to hitch up on a angle though.

How level is your setup when you are hitched up fully loaded?
I didn't really pay attention to how level the RV was - just measured the drop. I will remeasure next weekend as well as check the level. That will answer my question of airbags. I still may steal/take my air compressor off of my 250 before I sell it in the next couple of weeks.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:46 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How does the Anderson hitch counter-act the shock loading and bumping?
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, f350, tow, towing