Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2018, 06:01 AM   #1

New Aire "Surge Protector"

During my PDI I was told my a tech that I should consider purchasing a "Surge Guard ", that the factory on board one has the product name "Surge Guard" but was not adequate for all the electronics the New Aire has on it. Since I keep my coach plugged in nearly 100% of the time this concerns me. The factory on board model is the "Surge Guard/Transfer Switch Model 40350-RVC . Surge Guard being the brand name evidently. I called Newmar and talked to Steve Moser and after he ran it by another tech in the room they came to the same conclusion. I've asked this before but didn't get much response. Any thoughts on this and anyone out there using a power pole (potential theft prone) Surge Protector such as the Progressives in addition to the factory on board supplied unit. They have two models for around $300 - the Progressive Industries 34850 (green) and the EMS-PT50X (black). I don't know the differences in these two or which is the better? Any thoughts there?
Thanks,
R. D. Vanderslice
2018 New Aire 3341
rdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2018, 06:29 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
I Have the EMS-PT50X and it works great. It's shut down a couple issues for me in the past too so i'd recommend. Disappointing to hear after what you spent on the new aire the on board setup isn't adequate.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:46 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvan View Post
During my PDI I was told my a tech that I should consider purchasing a "Surge Guard ", that the factory on board one has the product name "Surge Guard" but was not adequate for all the electronics the New Aire has on it. Since I keep my coach plugged in nearly 100% of the time this concerns me. The factory on board model is the "Surge Guard/Transfer Switch Model 40350-RVC . Surge Guard being the brand name evidently. I called Newmar and talked to Steve Moser and after he ran it by another tech in the room they came to the same conclusion. I've asked this before but didn't get much response. Any thoughts on this and anyone out there using a power pole (potential theft prone) Surge Protector such as the Progressives in addition to the factory on board supplied unit. They have two models for around $300 - the Progressive Industries 34850 (green) and the EMS-PT50X (black). I don't know the differences in these two or which is the better? Any thoughts there?

Thanks,

R. D. Vanderslice

2018 New Aire 3341

First your Surge Guard transfer/Protector only protects against surges which are not the most common problem. The Progressive Industries with EMS (EMS-PT50X) will in addition to surges, also protect against high/low voltage, missing ground or neutral, reversed wiring, frequency, and other faults. And when one of these is detected, disconnect your RV and reconnecting when the fault is corrected.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:51 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
First your Surge Guard transfer/Protector only protects against surges which are not the most common problem. The Progressive Industries with EMS (EMS-PT50X) will in addition to surges, also protect against high/low voltage, missing ground or neutral, reversed wiring, frequency, and other faults. And when one of these is detected, disconnect your RV and reconnecting when the fault is corrected.
To clarify my statements even farther mine found a reversed wiring and went and shut it down for me. It definitely saved the day. Guy came over fixed it and we were back in business running the AC!!
Old 04-02-2018, 08:05 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We will be installing the EMS (EMS-PT50X) when we pick up our new coach next month. It is the high and low voltage that will get you more often than a power surge will.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
We will be installing the EMS (EMS-PT50X) when we pick up our new coach next month. It is the high and low voltage that will get you more often than a power surge will.
Momdoc,
Do you know what the difference is in the PT50X and the been around forever green 34850? Think the PT50X may be latest and greatest and replaced the 34850? I can't find the answer. I sent Progressive an email asking that questions and they, or someone, sent me back a reply asking what the 34850 was? Huh? They may outsource their questions to some to India or somewhere. The 34850 green one has been the dominant surge guard for years. I will let the gang know if I ever get an answer.
R. D Vanderslice
2018 New Aire 3341
rdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:25 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You definitely want the PT50X, which is portable and plugs in at the campground power pedestal, or the HW-50C hardwired model. Both give you total protection for your RV!

It's the best investment you will ever make!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Momdoc,
Do you know what the difference is in the PT50X and the been around forever green 34850? Think the PT50X may be latest and greatest and replaced the 34850? I can't find the answer. I sent Progressive an email asking that questions and they, or someone, sent me back a reply asking what the 34850 was? Huh? They may outsource their questions to some to India or somewhere. The 34850 green one has been the dominant surge guard for years. I will let the gang know if I ever get an answer.
R. D Vanderslice
2018 New Aire 3341
The 34850 is manufactured by a different company, Technology Research, under the brand name, Surge Guard, that's why Progressive Industries had no clue as to your question.

From my brief looking, the 34850 does not disconnect the RV from the power source if there are low/high voltages detected, subjecting the RV electronics to damage. It does provide surge protection and does identify issues with the source wiring/power supply.

As others have posted, go with the Progressive unit, or buy from a different manufacturer but get one that disconnects your RV in real time from extreme voltage fluctuations. The main issue many find is that the power post may test fine with any surge protector and once hooked up, will protect from power surges. However, when the CG suffers a voltage drop, for whatever reason, if the device doesn't disconnect the RV, that low voltage will damage the RV electrical devices. Unless you sense a problem and go out and look at the read out of your protector and manually disconnect your RV, the damage is done.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
My rig came with a Surgeguard installed at the factory. I already had a Progressive portable unit which I prefer. I use both and the Progressive unit is much more effective.

Recently we were experiencing a low voltage situation when a car hit a power pole outside the park. The Progressive unit cut the power and after I detached it the Surgeguard allowed the power.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
The 34850 is manufactured by a different company, Technology Research, under the brand name, Surge Guard, that's why Progressive Industries had no clue as to your question.

From my brief looking, the 34850 does disconnect the RV from the power source if there are low/high voltages detected, subjecting the RV electronics to damage. It does provide surge protection and does identify issues with the source wiring/power supply.

As others have posted, go with the Progressive unit, or buy from a different manufacturer but get one that disconnects your RV in real time from extreme voltage fluctuations. The main issue many find is that the power post may test fine with any surge protector and once hooked up, will protect from power surges. However, when the CG suffers a voltage drop, for whatever reason, if the device doesn't disconnect the RV, that low voltage will damage the RV electrical devices. Unless you sense a problem and go out and look at the read out of your protector and manually disconnect your RV, the damage is done.
Here's a link to different devices which shows what each one can do.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/rv-su...uide-a/279.htm
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
To clarify my statements even farther mine found a reversed wiring and went and shut it down for me. It definitely saved the day. Guy came over fixed it and we were back in business running the AC!!

NOT TRUE. There are different types of Surge Guard. Do some research.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
The Model 40350 Surge Guard transfer switch looks like it has the same, if not more, protection than the PT50X -- Model 40350.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:41 PM   #13

Quote:
During my PDI I was told my a tech that I should consider purchasing a "Surge Guard ", that the factory on board one has the product name "Surge Guard" but was not adequate for all the electronics the New Aire has on it. Since I keep my coach plugged in nearly 100% of the time this concerns me. The factory on board model is the "Surge Guard/Transfer Switch Model 40350-RVC .
Just out of curiosity, what did techs (from Newmar?) say the 40350 was lacking?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:55 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
NOT TRUE. There are different types of Surge Guard. Do some research.
Whats not true the fact that my progressive shut down a reverse polarity situation and saved the day? No that is absolutely accurate. Maybe you were quoting the wrong response but I can assure that happened.

The warranty alone between the two is enough to go progressive.

Tags
air