Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2020, 08:05 AM   #1

New all electric platform for trailers and RV's

German manufacturer making interesting progress in electric motor/battery powered platforms for trailers and RV's looks really interesting. The ability to use regenerative braking, electronics for various stabilization tricks, multi/all wheel drive and more, not to mention being an EV, is a sign of times to come.

https://newatlas.com/automotive/al-k...-chassis-tech/
rheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2020, 08:31 AM   #2

A powered trailer is an interesting concept. I wonder how long it will take for law makers to adapt the regulations regarding tow ratings and brake systems. Probably no more than 3-4 decades. [emoji4]
Old 02-14-2020, 08:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheil View Post
German manufacturer making interesting progress ....

https://newatlas.com/automotive/al-k...-chassis-tech/
Before I was a mechanical engineer I used to read the 'interesting' stories in Popular Science and Popular Mechanics. Still waiting for a jet pack, flying car, boat car, and hydrogen fueled car to be practical. Still waiting for fusion.

The Prius should be dubbed the Pious.

I happen to find the practical application of science very interesting and pixie dust dreaming boring.

What might make a hybrid MH practical. If you drive it aggressively 200,000 miles a year.

What makes hybrid trucks and buses impractical is the added wight of batteries.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #4

Indeed, point taken. Though you might be surprised how fast some states aggressively try to adopt new tech to get a 'jobs' or other jump-start advantage. For example many states now have very permissive supportive laws encouraging autonomous driving.

I regularly see single and more recently caravans/platoons of EV trucks - some unmanned - around Utah, Nevada and Arizona. For example Walmart has ordered hundreds of autonomous trucks, just now taking delivery, to go back and forth between their huge distro centers and big suppliers like P&G. Only more to come, and fast.

On related note I find presentations like this fascinating -

https://www.ncsl.org/research/transp...gislation.aspx
rheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
FYI here is what 800AH of LiFePo4 batteries look like. Each battery is 3.2V 400 AH. 15 in series = 48v, 2 strings in parallel = 800AH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191225_103242330.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	275128  
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheil View Post
Indeed, point taken. Though you might be surprised ....
On related note I find presentations like this fascinating -
I would be surprised. However, you may want to be more skeptical of folks who want you to buy their books. You have to understand the root cause of things.

For example, the building of power plants is often boom bust because goverment policies.

I went to work for GE Nuclear after getting out of the navy during a boom cycle. Government policy had encouraged the building of oil fired power plants because they were cleaner than coal and oil was cheap and we were exporting it.

During the ten years in the navy, we stopped exporting oil and OPEC could raise there prices.

My first commercial start up replaced an oil fired plant. At the same time, demand for power was leveling out. So finishing the plants that were started resulted too many power plants.

I could go on to explain all the factors I have seen over 50 years in making electricity and cars.

To be blunt, batteries, EV, and solar are not a disruptive technology. If they were a better engineering choice; I would own them.

How about the future? I am not buying in the future, I buy what I need now.

How about 2040? My prediction is that EV, solar, and batteries will be in a bad idea museum.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Still waiting for fusion.
Didn't you get the memo? Fusion energy is only about 30 years away!
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #8

Quote:
The Prius should be dubbed the Pious.
You really need a new schtick, you've about worn this one out.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:58 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Remember - You cannot own AC but you can own DC
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
Remember - You cannot own AC but you can own DC
That is something I have not heard before, would you explain?
Old 02-15-2020, 11:12 AM   #11

As an owner of a Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV), I am a fan of the technology. Much more so than a Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV).

Our Honda Clarity has a 17kWh battery that provides a claimed EV range of 48 miles. I have never gone less than 40 miles on EV and frequently get more than 60 miles. A 1.5 liter gas engine compliments the batteries and gets about 40mpg, just like a regular ICE vehicle. The gas engine/generator can also charge the lithium battery up to 60% SOC. One owner has used the car and a 1500w inverter to provide backup power to his house. When the SOC decreases ~4%, the engine turns on for about 5 minutes to recharge the battery.

Dealer incentives combined with Federal and state tax credits and rebates reduced the MSRP by 40%. The power company offers a $600 rebate/credit for the installation of a Level 2 charger at the house. The electricity isn’t free, however, depending on fuel prices and electricity rates, I’ve calculated the cost per mile to drive on electric is 1/3-1/2 of the cost of driving on gas. The car needs about 4 gallons today after having driven ~900 miles over the past few weeks. It is a BEV for 90% of our driving and operates like a regular old ICE for longer trips.

The greatest benefit I see with the PHEV RV, or EV trailer is the significant Lithium battery capacity available for boondocking. Now add some solar panels to the roof. 4-wheel drive is a bonus as well as improved fuel economy. Even 10-15% would be welcome. Another benefit would be the ability to enter or depart campgrounds or neighborhoods during the wee hours in complete silence.

Given current battery technology and charging infrastructure, a PHEV RV is probably only practical for the Sprinter sized RV shown in the video. We’re not in the market for another RV, but for someone who is looking for an RV in that class, it certainly would be intriguing.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
As an owner of a Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV), I am a fan of the technology. Much more so than a Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV).

The greatest benefit I see with the PHEV RV, or EV trailer is the significant Lithium battery capacity available for boondocking. ...
Of course you are a fan. Is that based on a review of an independent study?

The reason I use a religious term, is that many purchases are based on a belief system rather than rigorous analysis. I am a religious person that includes an ethic of environmental stewardship.

Show me an ISO-15000 LCA that hauling around batteries is good for the environment.

I do just fine boondocking with 4 GC2 batteries. So clearly there is no benefit of lithium batteries.

Greenwashing is a marketing method to get you spend more money based on unfounded claims.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Of course you are a fan. Is that based on a review of an independent study?

The reason I use a religious term, is that many purchases are based on a belief system rather than rigorous analysis. I am a religious person that includes an ethic of environmental stewardship.

Show me an ISO-15000 LCA that hauling around batteries is good for the environment.

I do just fine boondocking with 4 GC2 batteries. So clearly there is no benefit of lithium batteries.

Greenwashing is a marketing method to get you spend more money based on unfounded claims.
I suppose you could say my decision is based on a very independent study. My own. The car works perfectly for me, so I could really not give a hoot how you feel about it.

I must have missed the “religious” term you used. Regardless, it most likely would have had nothing to do with the topic.

Show me a report that lithium batteries are bad for the environment. I can tell you that my fossil fuel consumption will be reduced by 90%, and will be replaced by a much cleaner source, electricity. Particularly, here in Oregon and 42% of our consumption is generated by solar panels on the house. The panels keep batteries charged which in turn power the well pump and other circuits, a benefit not available when grid power goes down.

Sure you can boondock for extended periods by running a generator. Some of us choose to use lithium batteries and solar panels to reduce or eliminate generator run time. It’s quiet and emits no exhaust. A benefit some are incapable of comprehending.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
..... A benefit some are incapable of comprehending.
The US Navy taught me to operate nuclear power plants which demonstrates a huge capacity for understanding things.

Since I run my generator very little and use very little fossil fuel, solar and lithium batteries would be of little benefit.

For other readers, Oregon gets its 24/7 power from hydro and nuclear. The state has one coal plant which is important in winter months. There is air pollution problems near the Boardman pant.

The state has a poor solar resource especially in winter.

Putting solar on roof in Oregon has zero environmental benefit to Oregon. It has 100% environment cost where materials mined and panels.

For the record, I pick up my mail at Wallula Wa and completed my for a master in environmental engineering at WSU Tri-cities. I sail on the Colombia River.

I do comprehend that people spend a lot of money in the 'belief' they are helping the environment by spending large amounts of money.

I want people to enjoy and protect the environment.

Tags
electric, rvs, trailer