Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2023, 07:22 AM   #1
US1

New captains chairs, soft or firm?

Going to replace my chairs. Current chairs are a soft plush design. Not uncomfortable driving. I just assumed the plush feeling is do to soft foam, which in my mind means cheap. I'm looking at chairs made by Bradd and Hall that are firm and the build just looks higher quality. (will be using ultra leather)

Not sure if mine are Flexsteels as there are no FS logos on them. They do have an "L" embossed on them, as well as my couch and Euro chair which have the dreaded peeling leather. Not sure if FS was the only brand that used the leather that peeled. Those will be recovered with Ultra Leather also.

Question for the captains chairs, do you find the more firmer seats are more comfortable for driving, and have better wear, or do you prefer the plush sinking seats for driving? I have no experience with the firm seats.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2023, 08:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
Going to replace my chairs. Current chairs are a soft plush design. Not uncomfortable driving. I just assumed the plush feeling is do to soft foam, which in my mind means cheap. I'm looking at chairs made by Bradd and Hall that are firm and the build just looks higher quality. (will be using ultra leather)

Not sure if mine are Flexsteels as there are no FS logos on them. They do have an "L" embossed on them, as well as my couch and Euro chair which have the dreaded peeling leather. Not sure if FS was the only brand that used the leather that peeled. Those will be recovered with Ultra Leather also.

Question for the captains chairs, do you find the more firmer seats are more comfortable for driving, and have better wear, or do you prefer the plush sinking seats for driving? I have no experience with the firm seats.
I would vote for the plush seats for the long drives especially if someone has back or hip problems.

However, I believe an orthopedic doctor would tell you a firm seat would provide better support.

I don’t believe there is a wrong choice.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:27 AM   #3

Just like cars it would be personal preference. Some people like plush and some like firm. Firm seats are usually better for your body on long drives. Cadillac uses firm seats and Buick uses plush seats. I always loved my Buick plush seats but they aggravate my sciatic nerve on long drives. Cadillac seats don't do that to me. I would vote for firm leather seating.
Old 05-15-2023, 08:32 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I’d vote for firm if you drive long distances daily.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 09:40 AM   #5

Firm for driver, plush for navigator.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 09:48 AM   #6

IMO and IME, firm is much better for long drives.
Old 05-15-2023, 11:23 AM   #7

US1-

My gas coach came with entry-level Flexsteel captain's chairs. They were wider than I wanted (could not use the armrests while driving), and lacked some support in the seat and lower back. Happily, being pre-2009 both they and the couch used a vinyl that did not peel.

I replaced the captain's chairs with the Sawyer Slim model from Bradd and Hall, in a vinyl called "Brisa Ultraleather." It's supposedly "microperforated," and thus cooler. I purchased the options for adjustable armrests and for the manual lumbar support. I found the chairs comfortable: firmer, better bolstering around the seat and back, narrower (so I could use the armrests) and cooler. I thought they were worth the money.

As "cadillac al" said, comfort is subjective. Those living close to Indiana might be able to try Bradd and Hall seats. They rest of us have to proceed on recommendations.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 10:02 PM   #8
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
US1-

My gas coach came with entry-level Flexsteel captain's chairs. They were wider than I wanted (could not use the armrests while driving), and lacked some support in the seat and lower back. Happily, being pre-2009 both they and the couch used a vinyl that did not peel.

I replaced the captain's chairs with the Sawyer Slim model from Bradd and Hall, in a vinyl called "Brisa Ultraleather." It's supposedly "microperforated," and thus cooler. I purchased the options for adjustable armrests and for the manual lumbar support. I found the chairs comfortable: firmer, better bolstering around the seat and back, narrower (so I could use the armrests) and cooler. I thought they were worth the money.

As "cadillac al" said, comfort is subjective. Those living close to Indiana might be able to try Bradd and Hall seats. They rest of us have to proceed on recommendations.
I agree, the OEM seats are a wide seat. 1 of the reason Im leaning towards the Bradd and Hall Contora seats. Looks more like a seat vs a recliner. I'm in IN 2 hrs from Elkhart and made the trip there to look at their showroom and talk with the owner. Just looking for inputs before placing the order.

Thanks all
Old 05-16-2023, 09:02 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Get an isri seat and be done with it. Most comfortable seat on the market

https://www.isri.com/en/our-products/seat-systems
Old 05-17-2023, 06:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
Just like cars it would be personal preference. Some people like plush and some like firm. Firm seats are usually better for your body on long drives. Cadillac uses firm seats and Buick uses plush seats. I always loved my Buick plush seats but they aggravate my sciatic nerve on long drives. Cadillac seats don't do that to me. I would vote for firm leather seating.

I agree that the firm seat would be better. You need the support for your back and spine. Also a seat with a good lumbar support to keep your spine in the correct position. You may be able to find a seat with adjustable lumbar support. I have that in my Silverado and it does make a difference.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 09:51 AM   #11

What can add to the comfort of a soft or firm seat is a piece of sheepskin. It will make any seat more comfortable especially on those long days at the wheel.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 01:12 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No dought. Go soft. Hard seats hurt after several hours.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:30 AM   #13
PKI

Oh, oh, I know this one. The most comfortable seats are the ones Jaguar and Rolls Royce fit for their cars. We purchased a BMW with the 22 way adjustable seats, thinking that adjustment might make for a comfortable seat. It did, but only after about two years of travel to pound them into submission.

The seat needs to have support, adjustment and enough conformance to fit your form. I'm convinced that a firm base topped with a softer material to provide the conformance is the deal. Then if there is adjustment, you can provide additional support as required. Note - height and position as well as lumbar support is needed to improve your seating as the day progresses.

So, to answer your question .... firm. The sheep skin is not a bad idea for some conformance.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, chair