Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2019, 06:48 PM   #1

Question New Dometic 310 Toilet Flow

Hello all,

I just purchased a Dometic 310 porcelain toilet to replace our old Thetford Galaxy toilet (gave us the “comfort” height and elongated bowl).

Now the install went fine (even dealt with the changing of the bolt pattern from 11 and 5 to 9 and 3) but when I hooked it up everything works but the flow was very low. The toilet fills nicely and flushes but the flush stream is very weak with the holes near the back pushing out water but the front ones, nothing. So a couple of things. My pump is rated for 2.8GPM and I measured the output by filling a gallon jug and measuring the time to fill with a stop watch. It ends up being about 37 seconds to fill the jug (now I tried it by using the output of the line to toilet bowl - unrestricted but no back pressure from the pump - and from the kitchen sink - restricted by the faucet but with back pressure from the pump and the results were about the same).

Now based upon this it is approximately 1.6GPM flow (way below the 2.8 on the pump). The minimum flow for the toilet is rated at 2.0GPM with a recommended 3.0-5.0GPM. I did verify that there was nothing restricting the intake to the valve. I did contact Dometic and they are shipping me a new valve and hose just to be safe. I also have ordered a new pump (SureFlo 3.5GPM, 45 PSI) as well just to be safe as we are heading out next weekend.

So here are a couple of questions:

1. Do pumps lose their capabilities over time? Dropping from the rated 2.8GPM to 1.6GPM?
2. Of the two, which would you suspect more? Pump or valve?

Thanks all!

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2019, 07:27 AM   #2

Ok, anyone have experience with an older pump?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hook it up to city water and try it. That should give you the answer. .

Do you spend time off the grid or in places without a full hookup? If you put in a high capacity pump you will also need to put flow limiters on all of your faucets and shower or you will fill that grey tank in no time.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
My thoughts exactly. If OK on City Water then Water Pump issue. If not OK on City Water then toilet valve issues.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post

Do you spend time off the grid or in places without a full hookup? If you put in a high capacity pump you will also need to put flow limiters on all of your faucets and shower or you will fill that grey tank in no time.
I will test it. I do nothing off grid but some without full hookup. I will keep your tips in mind! I suspect it is the pump since it is running below the minimum required by the toilet. Thanks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The water pump rating is direct at the pump outlet, with zero back-pressure. 1.6 gpm inside the RV is about what you typically get with a 2.8 gpm pump. The 3.5 should be better, but 4 or 5 would have been better yet. Note that the bigger rated pump needs more electric power - if the wiring can't supply enough to meet the pump demand, the flow will still be low.

City water pressure is usually more consistent but it can vary a lot by campground or even homes. If the city supply is 50+ psi and you use a 5/8 or 3/4" hose, it should be able to maintain 2.0 or more gpm.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:15 PM   #7

Water pump can lose flow as the diaphragm gets old.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #8

Update:

Tested toilet with a direct hookup to the house, finally a good flush!

Replaced the pump with a 3.5gpm shurflo and now the toilet does much better!

Probably could have gone with a 4.5 or 5.0 but just didn’t want to spend that much ! (Me being cheap )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
toilet, dometic