Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #1

New full timer ,sales tax issue

Ok, my situation is as follows. Presently ia resident, sold primary residence, purchased diesel pusher 3 weeks ago in ok., want to remain a resident of ia for time being however am considering forming a llc in Montana, I have title but have not registered motorhome yet. My main question is this, can I form a llc myself (am not a attorney) or do I have to have attorney in Montana do this for me? I have researched ia law and feel that we can comply with thier rules, such as the 90 rule. Has anyone done this them selves or could you recommend someone to help me on this. This has been quite a learning curve for me (full timing) but I am trying. Thanks in advance. Roger
Rog1965char is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
There have been many post regarding, LLC Montana residency or lack of. Please try the google search top right hand on the one page. You'll find page after page regarding this subject!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Roger,

Be VERY careful! Many states are denying the Montana LLC to escape paying state taxes and are suing RVers for the taxes and big penalties. I chose to become a South Dakota resident using My Home Address, Inc as my mail forwarding service. They handled all my vehicle licensing before I could get up to SD. To me, paying 3% was worth it not to have to worry about getting a subpoena at some later date.

SD also has low insurance rates due to the smaller population. And they exempt full-timers from jury duty. Have you calculated the bottom line? You might find it cheaper?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You aren't required to have an attorney do it, but that's probably by far the easiest way. There are attorneys who specialize in these LLCs and can get things done promptly while you are still stumbling through the maze.

But you said you want to retain IA residency for awhile, and that puts you in serious danger of a tax evasion charge by IA. I won't belabor you about that - it's your call - but if you and the motorhome are in IA, you are probably liable for taxes there.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Colorado Convicts RV Owners for Tax Evasion | RV Business
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rog1965char,
Montana will be no problem. Iowa may be a problem. You need to thoroughly understand Iowa DMV and sales tax law. For me (and I do own LLCs) hire an attorney in Iowa and in Montana. The Iowa attorney will tell you in the first consultation visit all you want to know. My domicile is Florida. The law is simple to understand and comply with. Iowa may be different.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Roger,

Be VERY careful! Many states are denying the Montana LLC to escape paying state taxes and are suing RVers for the taxes and big penalties. I chose to become a South Dakota resident using My Home Address, Inc as my mail forwarding service. They handled all my vehicle licensing before I could get up to SD. To me, paying 3% was worth it not to have to worry about getting a subpoena at some later date.

SD also has low insurance rates due to the smaller population. And they exempt full-timers from jury duty. Have you calculated the bottom line? You might find it cheaper?
Exactly what we did. Americas Mailbox handled our vehicle registrations remotely, then we flew in to Sioux Falls for one night and got our SD Driver Licenses.Yes, we had to pay 3% tax on the vehicles, but absolutely worth it for peace of mind. There is no way we would consider going the Montana LLC route, way too many pitfalls and uncertainties.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #8

A lot of Full time RVers, as posted above domicile either in South Dakota, Florida, or Texas. Just have to choose which is right for you.
Best of luck.
Scott
Old 09-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty14 View Post
A lot of Full time RVers, as posted above domicile either in South Dakota, Florida, or Texas. Just have to choose which is right for you.
Best of luck.
Scott
And SD has the lowest sales tax..3%, and honors the sales tax if you paid it in another state. tags run from about $75 for a 5 year old MC, to $150 for a new pickup and $475 for a coach as you see below. Every year, but no other personal property tax or state income tax. A good choice.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog1965char View Post
Ok, my situation is as follows. Presently ia resident, sold primary residence, purchased diesel pusher 3 weeks ago in ok., want to remain a resident of ia for time being however am considering forming a llc in Montana, I have title but have not registered motorhome yet. My main question is this, can I form a llc myself (am not a attorney) or do I have to have attorney in Montana do this for me? I have researched ia law and feel that we can comply with thier rules, such as the 90 rule. Has anyone done this them selves or could you recommend someone to help me on this. This has been quite a learning curve for me (full timing) but I am trying. Thanks in advance. Roger

Roger,

It sounds like you have done a lot of your homework ahead of time. Make sure that you document your compliance with the Iowa rules. Failure to document your compliance can blow the whole thing, so be aware.

We have had clients ask us to either incorporate them or form LLC's for them. We are CPA's, not attorneys. As I tell my clients, saving $1,500 could cost you thousands. If your LLC formation is flawed in any fashion, it could be disallowed and this could be a very expensive problem.

There are a number of attorneys who specialize in the Montana LLC for RVers. Be aware that many will tell you your state's laws but will not represent you if, to paraphrase the old expression, the fertilizer hits the ventilator. It does sound like you have a good handle on your state's DMV laws, but again make sure you document compliance.

Ed

Tags
full time, sale