Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2021, 11:51 AM  

New ICE technology that will undo the BEV

We are on the brink of a new wave of Internal Combustion Engine technology that will probably undo the Battery Electric Vehicle. It's called the camless piston engine, an ICE whose valves are individually controlled electro-hydraulically instead of mechanically with a traditional camshaft. An engine control module tells each valve when to open and close, how far to open, how quickly or slowly to open. The benefits of this are as endless as the imagination, but here are some:

An increase in efficiency to match or exceed the efficiency of an electric power plant.

Massive increase in power and torque.

Drastic reduction of emissions.

Multifuel capability.

It's not just a pipe dream. It's happening as we speak. All the big auto manufacturers are developing this technology, but the most notable is Koenigsegg, who recently came out with a camless engine for their plug in hybrid production model, the Gemera. This is not your mother's Prius PHEV. It boasts 1700 hp and 2580 ft lbs of torque and does 0-60 in 1.9 seconds, topping out at 250 MPH. There are three electric motors and a relatively small 10kwh battery but the real miracle is the 2.0 liter three cylinder camless engine that puts out 600 hp and 443 ft lbs of torque on E-85 fuel. Don't ask the price, but the technology is sure to come down to earth to keep the ICE viable for the next 100 years.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2021, 02:43 PM  

I have read about that. What do they call that. “The little big engine” or something like that.

Then they also have a car without a normal transmission. A single gear transmission. They do some interesting things in that company.

Don’t they use the valve technology in some race engines right now?
Old 04-06-2021, 02:53 PM  

It's called the TFG (Tiny Friendly Giant) engine. I haven't heard of it being used in race cars yet though it's surely going to find its way there. The idea is not new. It has been used in large ship engines for years. It's easy to do there with such a slow moving engine, but the challenge here is making it work at 8500 PRM. It looks like they may have cracked that barrier now.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:56 PM  

Not my mother's Plug in hybrid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gemera.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	324082  
Old 04-06-2021, 03:48 PM  

Unfortunately the momentum is huge towards the elimination of ICE engines for personal transportation. Just about every car/truck company has pledged to be all electric by X date. I’m waiting for the government to mandate that all ICE based personal vehicles be taken off the road by 2050 or some other date.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
Old 04-06-2021, 03:53 PM  

This is brand new technology, in its infancy, that has the potential to be more environmentally friendly that a BEV. We should know by 2050.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:55 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
It's not just a pipe dream. It's happening as we speak. All the big auto manufacturers are developing this technology, ....
So are you saying that Ford, GM, Toyota, VW, and all of the others are secretly developing those engines and will soon dump their electric cars?
Old 04-06-2021, 03:59 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
So are you saying that Ford, GM, Toyota, VW, and all of the others are secretly developing those engines and will soon dump their electric cars?

No. I'm not saying that at all.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:04 PM  

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
No. I'm not saying that at all.
So what are you saying? If the big car manufacturers are working on this engine, that is better than electric power, why are they still developing electric powered cars? Why not go directly to this technology, if it is so much better than electric power?
Old 04-06-2021, 04:07 PM  

Yep, I've heard about these type of things for decades. Back in the 60's it was a carburetor that supposedly got 100 mpg or something like that. Then it was the Wankel. While Mazda made them work to a limited extent it certainly didn't take over the industry. In the 80s it was the ceramic engine. That one apparently never made it out of the lab. I'm not saying this engine isn't out there, I don't know, but I am saying I'll believe it when I see it. It will be interesting to see how they overcome the thermal issues. Time will tell.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:17 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
So what are you saying? If the big car manufacturers are working on this engine, that is better than electric power, why are they still developing electric powered cars? Why not go directly to this technology, if it is so much better than electric power?

Essentially it is electric power. In this case the electric power is being developed by the on board engine/generator. So, if the on board engine generator can produce electricity more efficiently and more cleanly than the power plant (minus transmission losses) then it immediately becomes more environmentally friendly.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:25 PM  

And here is the real answer, from Car and Diver:

“Porsche Working on Synthetic Fuel to Make ICE Cars as Clean as EVs”

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...sions-testing/
Old 04-06-2021, 04:30 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Yep, I've heard about these type of things for decades. Back in the 60's it was a carburetor that supposedly got 100 mpg or something like that. Then it was the Wankel. While Mazda made them work to a limited extent it certainly didn't take over the industry. In the 80s it was the ceramic engine. That one apparently never made it out of the lab. I'm not saying this engine isn't out there, I don't know, but I am saying I'll believe it when I see it. It will be interesting to see how they overcome the thermal issues. Time will tell.

The battery powered vehicle could also become the new Wankel. I believe that these new valve actuators can be made to work in a typical automotive application. Let's see if it works as planned in the 8500 RPM TFG engine. If so it will work in a standard automotive engine.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:34 PM  

Quote:
an ICE whose valves are individually controlled electro-hydraulically instead of mechanically
About time. I pondered this decades ago, but my career path did not include development of same.

Now, if there was just honest, truthful discussion in America about the FULL (cradle to grave) impact of anything, including the environmental cost of EVs, nuclear power, and a hundred other things.....

Tags
technology